Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking About Buying a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChopperMario
Hi Guys!

So I have just "discovered" the coolness that is a 914 and have an opportunity to buy a 75 with 75,000 miles on it. Supposedly a 1 owner car that hasn't been driven in a "number of years". I haven't gone to look at it yet, but they are telling me that it needs "electrical work" for it to be driveable.

A couple of questions:

1. Are there common electrical gremlins that might work they are saying?
2. What should I be paying extra attention to when I go out and look at it?
3. What do you think a fair price that I should offer for it?

Below are some pictures of the car, can't wait to go see it in person!

Thanks for Looking!

Mario
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
jaredmcginness
Could be Fuel Injection sorting that needs done, could be bad grounds, etc. hard to make a call with the info so far.

Check for rust. The black area behind the rocker panel is where I would start, Then check out under the battery tray.
These cars hide a lot of rust. Bring a screw driver and poke around on the floor seams.

I hope you end up making the purchase and join the club. These cars are really addicting! You've found a great community too.

Edit: Replace the fuel lines before you drive it anywhere. You never know when they were done last - if ever.
As for price: is it a 1.8? Depends on the rust, would be a nice buy at 3500... but I'm sure he'll want more.
horizontally-opposed
I second the hope that you'll buy the car (if it's a good one, which means no fatal rust and everything or most everything works) and join us. 914s hold up against everything else Porsche has made since then, imo.

1975 was a good year (the 914 was as developed as it was going to be by then) and many have come around to the big bumpers. If it's really a one-owner car with 75,000 miles that doesn't need rust work or paint, you are many miles ahead. Looks like the car has been modded a bit (wheels, black window trim, black door handles, fiberglass side rockers, 1970s safety stripes?, vinyl targa bar removal, and maybe? rear fenders pulled a bit), but the color is desirable to many and the car would be fun to slowly return to stock or mod as you see fit.

Just remember there are other 914s out there if you run into rust in the well documented areas (hell hole under battery, longitudinals behind rocker panels, rear trunk under carpet, and any bubbling under the paint around the windows or targa bar.

Happy hunting!

914e
QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Jul 10 2020, 09:00 AM) *

Could be Fuel Injection sorting that needs done, could be bad grounds, etc. hard to make a call with the info so far.

Check for rust. The black area behind the rocker panel is where I would start, Then check out under the battery tray.
These cars hide a lot of rust. Bring a screw driver and poke around on the floor seams.

I hope you end up making the purchase and join the club. These cars are really addicting! You've found a great community too.

Edit: Replace the fuel lines before you drive it anywhere. You never know when they were done last - if ever.
As for price: is it a 1.8? Depends on the rust, would be a nice buy at 3500... but I'm sure he'll want more.

I would replace the brake hoses too.
Cairo94507
Do be impulsive. Take the time to inspect it thoroughly top to bottom, inside to outside. Rust is the death nail for these cars. It's time consuming and/or expensive to fix.

Take an awl with you to poke around the hell hole, the area under the battery tray where water and battery acid would pool. The base of the interior firewall (area behind the back pad) the jack receivers on both sides, but especially the passenger side as that is where the battery acid typically caused the rust to spread like wild fire, the suspension points all around, look for cracks too. Also check the back edge, below the taillights, where the rear panel meets the trunk floor. Look around in the front trunk for rust, around the brake fluid reservoir, look around the pedal assembly for rust.

Check for homemade patches to the floor pans, etc. Take a good LED light, a floor jack, a jack stand, etc. You want to get a good look at the bottom of the car and also be able to post pictures to post her for others to evaluate and give you feedback.
These cars come up for sale regularly. Better to spend a few dollars more to get a solid car than save a few dollars and need to spend several thousand dollars on rust repair. Good luck. beerchug.gif
TJB/914
Mario,

Caution, when they tell you minor electrical, etc. They probably know more than what they tell you
This is an opportunity to deal on price..
In my opinion figure anywhere from $1K to $5K in repairs to get it street drive-able .
It looks like a great 914 obsession w00t.gif

Welcome,
Tom
iankarr
welcome.png

Hope you join us in the addiction!

Check the link in my signature for lots of videos and a series about 914’s for newbies. Especially the hell hole episode.

Enjoy!
ChopperMario

Thank you, subscribed and will watch all the videos!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.