Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Late (retract) belts in an early car.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaredmcginness
Hey all,

I have a '71, dual seats, no back rest. (carpeted firewall)

For any who have swapped to retractables in an early car where did you mount the receiver?

-Mounting near the head rest.... or floor?

-Weld a bung in and reinforcement plate?
-Drill through the fire wall, reinforce, nut on back?
-Make a sheet metal bracket....

Last question.. is there a trick to pulling these things out?
They retract well... other way around, not so much.

Here's a few quick/poor photos:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Happy Friday!
mepstein
They have to be oriented properly to release.
Fixed belts are cooler. shades.gif
jaredmcginness
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 10 2020, 07:14 PM) *

They have to be oriented properly to release.
Fixed belts are cooler. shades.gif

Sounds good. I also just found a tip for release. Dunk them in a bucket of Dawn and warm water. Releases the gunk inside (While cleaning the fabric too) Almost seems too easy.

Yes, fixed are cooler, this was a lazy man purchase. beerchug.gif
gereed75
I fitted retracts in my last early car (70). Was a long time ago and can’t remember the details but they worked just fine without any major mods. Seem to recall the bottom of the back pad bulging slightly

Currently using original non-retracts in current car. They are very difficult to adjust and cannot get them tight enough. Have no faith that they are effective.

Look cool - yeah but.....

Watching this as I plan to install retracts.
Johny Blackstain
I gave up and put fixed 1970's back in, even though the cinnamon interior is out of 74 creamsicle
jaredmcginness
Hey guys,

Just a quick update. I read that 924 belts work well. 2 points and a bit more modern.

Since they are still REPA and branded in the same marquee it sounded like a good fit for me. (I am not too picky about originality)

For a set for $50 shipped on ebay and they already arrived.

Heres the fit:
IPB Image

IPB Image

After I test fit, I soaked everything in warm water and Dawn. Nice retraction and lock. Everything fits well when sitting in the seat. A decent option for anyone interested and not picky.

I love that you can plug and and play some parts within the brand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.