Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiper assembly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Morph914
When I took this out of the car a couple of years ago I did not mark where the motor drive shaft/wiper mechanism orientation was. And I recently took the motor off to clean things up prior to reinstalling. So I am guessing it was in the off position, or turned all the way to the right if looking from the front of the car.
I would really like not to have to remove the air box to get to this in case it is not right. Any way to test this before installing? Or after, I just don’t want to install the air box until I know this is good to go.

Thanks,
John
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
fixer34
QUOTE(Morph914 @ Jul 10 2020, 09:57 PM) *

When I took this out of the car a couple of years ago I did not mark where the motor drive shaft/wiper mechanism orientation was. And I recently took the motor off to clean things up prior to reinstalling. So I am guessing it was in the off position, or turned all the way to the right if looking from the front of the car.
I would really like not to have to remove the air box to get to this in case it is not right. Any way to test this before installing? Or after, I just don’t want to install the air box until I know this is good to go.

Thanks,
John

Pretty sure you can connect the motor without installing the whole assembly in the car. Turn on the wipers and let it cycle a couple times. Believe the cross link should be all the way to one side. If you want to park the wipers on the right side, move the arm on the motor 180 degrees.
BillC
Here's a pic of the wiring (took this before I removed my wiper motor).
Click to view attachment

Fixer34 has suggested the right course -- wire up the wiper motor, sit it on the ledge in the trunk area (don't install it yet), let it run for a bit and then turn the switch off and let it park. Then, tighten the nut on the gearbox shaft to set the drive link. IIRC, the link should be pointed away from the other end of the link that connects the drive link to the wiper arm.

Another tip -- loosen the nut on the rubber isolator and unscrew it most of the way. This will let the isolator move around easily until you get everything lined up and inserted into the holes, when installing the wiper motor.
Morph914
Ordinarily I would take this advice but I am just starting to put the car back together and do not have a battery in yet. I guess I will wait on installing the air box until I get this sorted out.

Cheers,
John
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.