Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hidden Bolts During Transmission Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
Getting all my ducks in a row prior to removing my transmission soon. Of the bolts holding the starter and transmission to the engine, which ones need to be addressed from INSIDE the engine compartment? I am seeing multiple and conflicting answers when researching this.

Also, which bolts do I remove at the rear mounts- the single bolts at the center of each mount or the two bolts on the side of each mount? Confused...

Lastly, is it possible to do this job on ramps, or do I need more height via jack stands. I do understand the necessity to support the engine during the process.

Advice needed and thanks.

Ansbacher
SirAndy
For the rear, i find it easier to just unbolt the two small 10mm bolts on each mount so the mounts stay with the transmission.

As for the 4 case bolts, the only one that needs attention from inside the engine bay it the one on the top left (drivers side) that also holds the starter.

Make sure you remove the ground strap and have good support for the engine before you try to drop the transmission.

A ramp should be fine if you removed the rear valance, that should be plenty of room to balance the transmission on a floor jack and roll it out the back.

smash.gif
Ansbacher
There is nothing like info from the horse's mouth. Thanks Sir Andy!

Ansbacher
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.