Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I've reached a fork in the road
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 47
if you check my sig below you will see that I'm familiar with the 914 and some of my decisions may be emotionally influenced. I acquired a 75' about 5 years ago that was in great shape, low miles. I bought it with a fully resto in mind; and somewhat wanting to end up with something that emulated my original 73' that I bought in 77'.

I took it fully apart. The only rust it had was surface rust on the under side and probably some in the shift tunnel. other than that no rust in the hell hole, jack mounts, really anywhere. So I should have buzzed off the surface rust on the bottom and have called it a day.

But no, I had to take it apart and have it media blasted and a fully body restoration. Cool 62k car getting a full up resto. Damn the media blast revealed that it had been rear ended; which meant the front was bashed too. Late 1970's body shop's fixed the car OK; it really just hast a little crumple in the back trunk and the front trunk. somewhat minor but is really major.

So while the original body work was OK and the resto bodywork really makes it only visible when you pull up the carpets in the front and back trunks (that will eventually be there).

SO HERE IS THE FORK IN THE ROAD...
I'm ready to put this together. I have an LS1 sitting in the corner of my garage. emotionally I would like to just put the 2.0 back in and suffer through getting the Weber's or the original FE back on. I'm also thinking that the LS1 might increase the enjoyment of the 914 once it's finished.

I've dreuled over RH cars literally since they began and still have a VW/Porsche magazine with a 914 and 911 conversion on the cover.

Even though this car was damaged in it's early life, i'm not sure I want to cut it up to do the conversion. I've not talked with RH about what needs to be sacrificed for the conversion, but I know it has to be at least the front trunk area. I saw a post about a fairly radical conversion and it cut the rear trunk, firewall, and front trunk.

i'm hoping the basic conversion just makes a place for the radiator.

SO CONSIDERING the damage back in the day, it will never be a concourse car. It is completely rust free.

SHOULD I PUT IT BACK TO STOCK OR DO THE LS CONVERSION?????

If you noticed I have c6 z06 track car and a c7 z51 so I don't really mind going stock with 102 2.0 HP but 350 HP in a 914 sounds really fun too.

This is a big fork in the road and your input is very helpful

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Since you asked.... you have the Corvettes and the Camaro all of which would quench your thirst for speed, I would take that beautiful 914 and put it back stock. I mean minor mods that are period correct, no big deal. I would not do the LS conversion in that clean chassis. That's just me. Really, what do you really want from tat 914? It is your car, build it in a way that makes you happy and have fun. beerchug.gif

SirAndy
They don't make them anymore ...
shades.gif
BillC
My suggestion is to put the 2.0 back in it. Since you already have those other high-horsepower cars, you'll get to enjoy driving a lightweight, low-horsepower car in comparison. Plus, it'll help maintain the car's value.
FlacaProductions
I'd say 2.0 with the FI - what is it they say about driving a slow car fast?
You have the other side covered....
Chris914n6
You are not getting 350hp thru those tires. Plus all the mods needed to the susp to match the engine you would be starting from zero plus $$$$.

Considering everything done to the car so far, I'm in the camp of putting it back together with the 2L, or building that out a little since you have carbs.

The 2L is peppy. Get into 200hp+ and you start taking corners with an easy foot as it can fishtail, so it's alot more focus and kinda less fun.
cali914
LS LS LS LS you will be grinning from ear to ear when you get on it and not adjusting valves every 4000 miles.
jim912928
Keep it porsche...sell the LS and put a six in it for the power/thrill!
Krieger
Keep it a 2.0L. If you had flared the car and had big enough tires and wheel to handle the power I'd say go big. You may scare the crap out of yourself or worse with a narrow body and 205s on the car
KELTY360
It doesn't have to be a concurs car to have value as a slightly modified air cooled 914. You've already got the v8 power mongers for those thrills. Don't forget how fun a well sorted 914 can be without brute power. Build that 2L to around 120-130 hp, keep the FI, make the brakes and suspension match the performance upgrade and enjoy. You'll thank yourself with the driving experience and even more when you go to sell.

Don't forget that famous Yogi Berra quote: "When you come to a fork in the road.....take it"
sb914
I say.... if you come to a fork in the road “take it”
sb914
Oops!!!
PanelBilly
2.0 with FI
djway
I love the LS cars but you got V8s already and a good running 2.0 can be extremely fun
Craigers17
Based on what you've created so far(color, wheels, and the shaving of those dreaded "warts"), I think I'd trust your instincts. IMHO, you've made great choices so far! beerchug.gif
VegasRacer
smilie_flagge6.gif Click to view attachment
Bleyseng
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 11 2020, 08:23 PM) *

It doesn't have to be a concurs car to have value as a slightly modified air cooled 914. You've already got the v8 power mongers for those thrills. Don't forget how fun a well sorted 914 can be without brute power. Build that 2L to around 120-130 hp, keep the FI, make the brakes and suspension match the performance upgrade and enjoy. You'll thank yourself with the driving experience and even more when you go to sell.

Don't forget that famous Yogi Berra quote: "When you come to a fork in the road.....take it"

agree.gif
A stockish 2056 with 120-130hp makes a very fun 914. Upgrades to brakes and suspension makes it a really fun car without major work or cutting up the body and very fast just not quarter mile fast.
Robarabian
I own a RH converted Subaru turbo car. Cutting it up is really minimal these days, RH has perfected it and there are several done here well.

That being said, the amount of other bits that it takes to make the car ride right and be safe it expensive. Suspension, brakes, tires etc... I push 225 HP on wider Fuchs in non flared fenders and it is fun. Having LS power those tires and brakes won't cut it.

I am with @sirandy they don't make em anymore. 2.0.
Superhawk996
Your car. Do what you want.

My vote: put it back together as a 914/4 or a /6. Ditch the LS motor. Real Porsche's are air cooled.
Front yard mechanic
If you use the las motor you'll have to paint black strips on the hood lol-2.gif
tygaboy
Stock. The only reason I did an LS conversion on mine is that my '75 was a badly rusted/accident damaged roller when I got it.
You have other high HP cars that are far better suited to having that much power in the first place!

Treat yourself to something unique and different!
Tdskip
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 12 2020, 08:53 AM) *

My vote: put it back together as a 914/4 or a /6. Ditch the LS motor. Real Porsche's are air cooled.

Never driven at 928, eh?
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jul 12 2020, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 12 2020, 08:53 AM) *

Never driven at 928, eh?

happy11.gif stirthepot.gif
76-914
My advice is not to take anyone else's advice but rather follow your own feelings. It was once said that "No man who follows his own genius is ever led astray"! beerchug.gif
Mikey914
My .02 stockish. 2056 will give you enough pep to enjoy. Our cars excell in corners. The extra HP is nice, but maybe put a down on a new vette.

Hate to say it but it's really become what these cars would have evolved into if they kept making 914s.

In the end you probably already have an idea of how you want to go on this.
Type 47
I know it's my car and I'm going to do with it what I want to but sometimes figuring that out requires input and everyone here has given me some great input.

I would love to drop that LS1 in but I know that is going to be expensive (to end up where I would want it to be) and labor and time intense to get it finished. Hell I've got a big task ahead of me just getting it back together.

I don't mind a little surgery in the front trunk but cutting the firewall and rear trunk may be a little more than I can allow.

I'm really leaning towards keeping it stock after reading all of your posts.

NOW MY NEXT QUESTION...what's the best route to put a 2056 in it? What is a 2056 exactly? The engine from the car is a 62k mile 1975 2.0 that the PO encountered some FI issues back in the day (we all pulled them off as soon as we couldn't figure out which part of the FI was bad) and put dual Webbers on. I do have the FI components in a box somewhere, I think the Webbers are in my garage attic.
Superhawk996
2056cc engine is a 2.0L crank 71mm stroke and 96mm pistons instead of the stock 94mm.

96mm pistons are an easy upgrade that doesn't require extensive case machine work that will be required to go larger than 96mm pistons.

2056 is pretty much largest that stock FI will handle easily so it is favored from that aspect. If you're going to Webers you can also play with the cam.

Stock FI really only likes stock cam or very mild deviation from stock.
Carbon-14
Click to view attachment
https://www.enginelabs.com/news/fcas-pentas...ines-in-may-15/
https://moparinsiders.com/3-6-liter-pentast...-year-in-a-row/
A pair of small turbos to boost the top end, all the bells and whistles.
happy11.gif
CBee
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 12 2020, 08:34 AM) *

Stock. The only reason I did an LS conversion on mine is that my '75 was a badly rusted/accident damaged roller when I got it.
You have other high HP cars that are far better suited to having that much power in the first place!

Treat yourself to something unique and different!

I agree with Chris.
My current car was chosen for major modifications ( Subaru motor and gearbox etc.) because it is a rusty pig and anything I do to it is an improvement.

My last one, which I regret selling, looks very similar to yours.
Orange with the same ATS wheels ,stock 2.0 with some suspension and gearbox mods.
That car is nice enough it wouldn't have been a smart decision to modify in the way I want to build this one.

I think you've already passed that fork in the road.

Clark
Root_Werks
Others have already said it, keep it stock-ish. A nice 2L or 2056 with FI is a wonderful engine.
yellowporky
You describe exactly what my low mileage 73 1.7 was. 68k and converted to carbs and light front left and right rear damage but done decent but not concourse as the car was not worth much when it happened in the early 80's.
I did all of the reasonable upgrades to the fuel, brakes, suspension, rebuilt 1.7 and trans. I did source all FI sensors nos and had all the other parts rebuilt.
These minor upgrades really make the car feel great and i definitely smile more driving this than my 08 C4S or my wifes 11 boxster spyder.
The tangerine firewall bushing and 914 werke bronze rear bushing really make the shifting definitive and the Rebel racing suspension bushing instead of rubber are so nice.
So i vote for mostly stock and fuel injected 2.0
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.