Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine dies then kicks in!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
So I am in the switchback section of the Cabot Trail with 3 other vehicles and the teener is performing well, coming out of a really nice 180 degree turn I get on on the throttle aggressively and engine dies, then catches again. This happened a few times more, but I carried on. Made it home, but it was happening more often. All thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Jul 12 2020, 07:42 AM) *

So I am in the switchback section of the Cabot Trail with 3 other vehicles and the teener is performing well, coming out of a really nice 180 degree turn I get on on the throttle aggressively and engine dies, then catches again. This happened a few times more, but I carried on. Made it home, but it was happening more often. All thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

My first thought is an electrical issue. Swap around the relays on the relay board. Rotate all fuses to make sure there is good contact. I recently went through similar problems. In my case, I also had backfiring then all would be good. I am using "Hot Spark" in place of points. I found the sensor and the magnet were rubbing. I would also lookt your distributor points or what you are using in place of them
windforfun
Maybe a TPS issue of some kind?
iankarr
I’m gonna say fuel. The “dies when I step on it after twisties” says dirty filter sock in the tank or filter to me. The lower the fuel level (from sloshing or using) the more it’s likely to happen since there’s less force pushing gas through the obstructions to the pump.
Jamie
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jul 12 2020, 07:21 AM) *

I’m gonna say fuel. The “dies when I step on it after twisties” says dirty filter sock in the tank or filter to me. The lower the fuel level (from sloshing or using) the more it’s likely to happen since there’s less force pushing gas through the obstructions to the pump.

When I pulled the tank for repairs I mangled the new "sock" and decided it wasn't worth the trouble. I placed a filter between tank outlet and front mounted pump, believing the filter was more accessible for replacement. Also means the tank can be removed without complete draining by simply pinching off the outlet hose.
ericoneal
This happened to me once and it was a loose coil wire.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Jul 12 2020, 01:27 PM) *

This happened to me once and it was a loose coil wire.

agree.gif Same thing happen to me.
saigon71
FI or carbs?
BillC
Could be low fuel level in the tank. Have you looked inside the tank? Fuel level senders do go bad occasionally.
Ian Stott
Thanks to all that chimed in, will check the sock in the fuel tank, I like the idea of adding an easily accessible in line filter, thanks for that tip.

Will double check for wires not making good contact, I did do that when I pulled over to check just that, everything seemed well connected.

I replaced all relays this spring with the new ones from 914 rubber.

I replaced the fuse panel a few years ago, with the more modern one that takes the bayonet style fuses and have been in there replacing the fuse for the wipers, evrything looked good in there as well.

Doubt the fuel pump is the issue, my understanding it either works or it does not, will also check my fuel pressure, I believe I have it set at 28. Might be a good time to install a fuel pressure gauge! I believe we can run up to 35 psi without harming anything but wonder if it is necessary to go that high.

Thanks to all who chimed in!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
mrholland2
When I had one, it was the heavy key ring moving the ignition switch just enough to go off then on then off then on . . as the keys swung.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.