Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lights / electrical issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dt4
I’m trying to figure out what Is going on with the rear lights in order to make progress towards being ready for registering in the UK
Firstly I fitted euro spec reflectors
When the lights are on the small bulb on the far side is on which illuminates the amber reflector which is the indicator and should only be illuminated when indicating so I planned on pulling the small bulbs on both sides.
I then noticed a couple of other issues
The centre bulb illuminates with the lights on but I don’t have a separate brake light and the neither of the reversing lights illuminates
I notice I have a connector on the driver side of the wiring that doesn’t have any thing to connect to
I have also noticed that the engine continues to run with the ignition off if the lights are and only cuts out when the lights are turned off
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
barefoot
That round connector on the drivers side is for the cat converter over temp indicator. only used in Cali registered cars
dt4
QUOTE(barefoot @ Jul 12 2020, 07:00 PM) *

That round connector on the drivers side is for the cat converter over temp indicator. only used in Cali registered cars

thank you
that rules that out then
Dobbsy
Hello,

I have not converted mine yet as I am working on other things but I have saved this link from a previous post https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm
The rear light image is second from bottom.

If you could post if it is correct for Euro lights it would be much appreciated.
dt4
great, thank you.
I'll check that against how I have wired things up and let you know
ClayPerrine
Your description would indicate that the tail lights are wired wrong.

To fix it, you will need a test light, a DVOM, some masking tape, a pen, and a helper.

1. Take out both tail lights and remove all the bulbs.

2. Check the brown wire continuity to ground with the DVOM. Hook one lead of the DVOM to the negative battery post, and the other to the brown wire on the tail light. If you don't have continuity, trace out the wire and repair as needed.

3.Hook the wire on the test light to the brown lead, turn on the park lights, and touch the test lead spike to each wire until it lights. Label that one "park lights."

4. Turn on the turn signal for that side, and touch each wire with the test light spike until one starts flashing. Label that wire "turn signal."

5. Have your helper step on the brake, and touch each wire until the test light illuminates. Label that wire "brake light."

6. Put the car in reverse, and verify with the test light that the remaining wire lights the test light when touched with the spike. Label that wire "backup light."

Now, on to the buckets.

1. Using the continuity test on the DVOM, find the spade connector that is the common ground by touching one DVOM lead to the metal that would contact the base of the bulb, and touch the other lead to each spade connector. When you get continuity, that is going to be the brown wire.

2. Using the continuity test on the DVOM, touch the center contact on the backup light with one lead of the DVOM, and touch the other to the spade connectors until you get continuity. That will be the backup light connector.

3. Using the continuity test on the DVOM, touch the center contact on the turn signal light with one lead of the DVOM, and touch the other to the spade connectors until you get continuity. That will be the turn signal light connector.

4. Using the continuity test on the DVOM, touch the center contact on the small light on the side, and then touch one of the two contacts in the tail/brake light. Make note of which contact it is. Now touch the spade connectors until you get continuity. That will be the tail light connector.

5. Using the continuity test on the DVOM, touch the other contact from the one you made note of in the last step, and touch the spade connectors until you get continuity. That will be the brake light connector.

6. Match the labeled wires to the spade connectors on the tail light housings.

7. Leave the bulbs out and repeat for the other side. The reason for leaving the bulbs out is so you don't inadvertently get continuity through the bulb on the other side.

8. Put the bulbs in and test each light. IIRC, the outside two light bulbs are connected to the park light circuit, and will always light with the park lights.

9. Install the lenses.

10. Sit back, and enjoy an adult beverage. beer3.gif I would have said a "frosty adult beverage" but I realize that you are in the UK, and Lucas sells refrigerators there. biggrin.gif

I hope that helps you with your light issues.

Clay.

dt4
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 12 2020, 08:37 PM) *

Your description would indicate that the tail lights are wired wrong.

To fix it, you will need a test light, a DVOM, some masking tape, a pen, and a helper.

1. Take out both tail lights and remove all the bulbs.

2. Check the brown wire continuity to ground with the DVOM. Hook one lead of the DVOM to the negative battery post, and the other to the brown wire on the tail light. If you don't have continuity, trace out the wire and repair as needed.

3.Hook the wire on the test light to the brown lead, turn on the park lights, and touch the test lead spike to each wire until it lights. Label that one "park lights."

4. Turn on the turn signal for that side, and touch each wire with the test light spike until one starts flashing. Label that wire "turn signal."

5. Have your helper step on the brake, and touch each wire until the test light illuminates. Label that wire "brake light."

6. Put the car in reverse, and verify with the test light that the remaining wire lights the test light when touched with the spike. Label that wire "backup light."

Now, on to the buckets.

1. Using the continuity test on the DVOM, find the spade connector that is the common ground by touching one DVOM lead to the metal that would contact the base of the bulb, and touch the other lead to each spade connector. When you get continuity, that is going to be the brown wire.

2. Using the continuity test on the DVOM, touch the center contact on the backup light with one lead of the DVOM, and touch the other to the spade connectors until you get continuity. That will be the backup light connector.

3. Using the continuity test on the DVOM, touch the center contact on the turn signal light with one lead of the DVOM, and touch the other to the spade connectors until you get continuity. That will be the turn signal light connector.

4. Using the continuity test on the DVOM, touch the center contact on the small light on the side, and then touch one of the two contacts in the tail/brake light. Make note of which contact it is. Now touch the spade connectors until you get continuity. That will be the tail light connector.

5. Using the continuity test on the DVOM, touch the other contact from the one you made note of in the last step, and touch the spade connectors until you get continuity. That will be the brake light connector.

6. Match the labeled wires to the spade connectors on the tail light housings.

7. Leave the bulbs out and repeat for the other side. The reason for leaving the bulbs out is so you don't inadvertently get continuity through the bulb on the other side.

8. Put the bulbs in and test each light. IIRC, the outside two light bulbs are connected to the park light circuit, and will always light with the park lights.

9. Install the lenses.

10. Sit back, and enjoy an adult beverage. beer3.gif I would have said a "frosty adult beverage" but I realize that you are in the UK, and Lucas sells refrigerators there. biggrin.gif

I hope that helps you with your light issues.

Clay.

Thanks Clay
That's much appreciated
ballsyfacts914
I had a similar issue with my reverse lights. After changing the bulbs to no avail I got the car up and noticed a wire on the driver side of the transmission was not plugged in. The port looks similar to a two pronged rounded plug. Essential, and forgive my lack of proper terminology, two wires plug in, one is for the brake lights and one is for the reverse lights. Once plugged in, the reverse lights worked. The ports for the wires are meant to have a rubberized domed cover with a port for the wires to traverse. I had to order one so the plug and wire ends weren't exposed but that took care of the issue for me. Might not be what you are experiencing but something worth checking out.

Good luck!
dt4
QUOTE(ballsyfacts914 @ Jul 15 2020, 07:49 PM) *

I had a similar issue with my reverse lights. After changing the bulbs to no avail I got the car up and noticed a wire on the driver side of the transmission was not plugged in. The port looks similar to a two pronged rounded plug. Essential, and forgive my lack of proper terminology, two wires plug in, one is for the brake lights and one is for the reverse lights. Once plugged in, the reverse lights worked. The ports for the wires are meant to have a rubberized domed cover with a port for the wires to traverse. I had to order one so the plug and wire ends weren't exposed but that took care of the issue for me. Might not be what you are experiencing but something worth checking out.

Good luck!

thank you @ballsyfacts914
thats worth checking, I will report back
scallyk9
The smallest bulbs are always on to illuminate the "side Lights", at least here in North America, to match the small round "side lights" on the front fenders. The larger and brighter turn signal bulbs will overpower them when viewed from the side.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.