Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does it makes sense to save this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kutsyy
Some time ago my daughter (17) and I were given this car to mess with the engine, but since then my daughter has gotten the idea to try to rebuild it as a track only car for herself (upgraded engine and transmission, only bare minimum on it - such as metal bars welded over the doors instead of actually replacing the doors, definitely not street legal).

Recently we stripped the car (mostly) down to a shell and were wondering if the frame is in good enough condition to be able to rebuild the car and if it can handle the strain of being tracked.

Also any suggestion about potentially rebuilding it would be very appreciated.

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fM2vZTm4DDPLfk9D9

Thanks smile.gif
BillC
How much of a project are you looking for? Sounds like it could be a nice parent-daughter project.

If you're going to put an upgraded engine in it, you'll want to add the inside and outside frame reinforcements.

If it's going to be a track car, you'll definitely want to add a full cage.

You'll either need to replace the doors or weld skins over the door openings. I don't know of any track organization that will allow you on the track with empty door openings, even with a cage.
Superhawk996
That one is certainly going to be a project.

The shot of the hell hole doesn't look encouraging. A/C previously installed and passenger side shelf has been cut. Initial cutting for A/C usually only served to encourage as a great place to start rust.

Trunk is roached.

Think to keep in mind is that in a unibody car even though elements like the trunk floor and/or passenger floorpan don't seem to be structural, they are.

Think of a simple wall framed of metal 2x4 studs. It's very light but also very flimsy until the drywall is secured to it then all of a sudden it has much more stability and stiffness than it did with only the studs. The Frunk, passenger compartment floorpan, and the trunk pan all serve the same purpose as the drywall. They stabilze the structure.

Seems like a question of time. Some guys on here have done amazing things in short periods of time (2 years or less) with worse, but a project like this can also drag on without end. Sorting out the structure, wiring, engine, driveline, all that time adds up - even for a down and dirty track car.
SirAndy
I know axles are also call half-shafts but that doesn't mean one has to literally cut them in half to get the transmission out.
wacko.gif

As far as rust, that actually doesn't look that bad. How good are you at welding?

Both front and rear trunk floors are readily available as are the inside floor pans (which still look decent in those pictures). If you are comfortable fabricating and welding on a car, this would make a nice project.

Get her down to bare metal to really see everything that needs attention.
idea.gif
type2man
Money pit.
Tdskip
Well....that is a $20,000 car that you will get $3000 when you are done. Kiss goodbye to 100+ hours of time too...
JamesM
I think it looks like a great candidate for a track car. The rust it does have is pretty typical and not that bad. That front left fender, and the fact the front trunk was cut look to be the worst parts on the car, but for a track car who cares. honestly i think i would feel bad starting with a tub nicer than that for a track car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.