Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this possible?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
Modern Porsche 914

I just love the styling... and Delphi Green Metallic paint!

IPB Image

I have vowed to never own a new car, but this could seriously make me break that vow.
914e
I'm partial to this version. They really need to bring back the 914.

Click to view attachment
StarBear
QUOTE(914e @ Jul 13 2020, 11:20 AM) *

agree.gif
mepstein

They won't. Porsche makes their money building high end cars. They have no interest in an entry level Porsche.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jul 13 2020, 10:28 AM) *

agree.gif

Nope... looks too 911 ish.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 13 2020, 08:32 AM) *

They won't. Porsche makes their money building high end cars. They have no interest in an entry level Porsche.

totally agree, Porsche will NEVER build an entry level sports car, no money in it. As many at Porsche have said in the recent past "the entry level Porsche is a used Porsche"
Rand
Not a lot of headroom in that design. Imagine the iconic Wilt Chamberlain shot through the top of that thing. biggrin.gif
thelogo
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 13 2020, 10:57 AM) *

totally agree, Porsche will NEVER build an entry level sports car, no money in it. As many at Porsche have said in the recent past "the entry level Porsche is a used Porsche"

I disagree ....they could whip ever subaru brz and wrx out there . sell alot of cars doing that ...i would think

But for some reason porsche doesnt build

LIGHTWEIGHT
Cars anymore?
mepstein
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jul 13 2020, 02:08 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 13 2020, 10:57 AM) *

I disagree ....they could whip ever subaru brz and wrx out there . sell alot of cars doing that ...i would think

You make money in the car industry by selling a moderate number of cars at a high price. Porsche has the highest profit margin in the industry by doing just this. Ford dropped almost all of their small passenger cars and is concentrating on trucks and pickups because they sell for double or more what a small passenger car sells for but actual material and labor costs are almost the same. Building one car for $100K is WAY more profitable than 5 cars at $20K each. If the market is there for the 100K car, there's no reason to screw around with 20K cars. In fact, making a 20K car or whatever the intro price would be would actually devalue the 100K car. Exclusivity sells. Porsche obviously knows this since they are building more and more 200 & 300K +++ cars and have no problem selling them.
mrholland2
How about a replacement for the Boxster?
thelogo
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Jul 13 2020, 12:51 PM) *

That would be something to replace a car with the car it replaced
mrholland2
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jul 13 2020, 02:51 PM) *

QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Jul 13 2020, 12:51 PM) *

That would be something to replace a car with the car it replaced

Only this time, it would be a visual improvement.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jul 13 2020, 02:08 PM) *

But for some reason porsche doesnt build

LIGHTWEIGHT
Cars anymore?

Porsche doesn't get to decide what cars are anymore. Government mandates on safety and fuel economy now determine what a car is or isn't.

In the modern era, 3500 lbs is a lightweight car. A Ford Fiesta with an automatic comes in at around 2600 lbs and most people would turn their head at something that "small".

Sure it could be built out of carbon fiber but then it wouldn't be at a viable price point.

davep
There is always an entry level Porsche; whichever is the lowest priced model. It may be a 50K price, a 100K price or a 200K price.
mbseto
That's not the proportions of a mid-engine car.
Wyvern
Hey maybe it could be marketed as a VW / Porsche LOL

If they did it would be electric
Ansbacher
Why can't we all accept that "Porsche" ceased to exist when the last air-cooled production model rolled off the line back in the nineties? There is no similarity between the company of today and the company that produced the 914, other than the name and logo. I am fine with this; just like fans of Studebaker, Hudson, Saab, hell even Plymouth, accept that their marques no longer exist. Ours just continues to hang around like a ghost refusing to leave the dead body it once inhabited. Porsche today is a greedy, corporate, money-sucking entity and I ignore all of their advertising and new product output.

Ansbacher
Carbon-14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m31EgQkswg

Fast, handles, airconditioning, leather, quick.
thelogo
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jul 14 2020, 02:59 PM) *

. Porsche today is a greedy, corporate, money-sucking entity and I ignore all of their advertising and new product output.

Ansbacher

agree.gif agree.gif

Cars for the mega rich ...= not for me .

Unless its a 993 cab .... Im not really intrested anyways

That was when porsche peaked for me
Andyrew
If you want a targa mid engine light sports car sold in the USA thats gonna be the Alpha romeo 4c... 2500lbs.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 14 2020, 06:26 PM) *

If you want a targa mid engine light sports car sold in the USA thats gonna be the Alpha romeo 4c... 2500lbs.

Not bad but still 500 lbs too heavy.

Lotus Elise is closest in my book, but, not really fair to call it modern anymore.
Carbon-14
the artist
http://www.kragyen.com/cars-personal-page

Click to view attachment

Wider, cab forward, radius the nose, targa's leading edge is sloped, longer house, sloped the windscreen, quick and dirty mods. I like the wheel's design,so very 'Lambo'.
The flanks are very Camaro looking, though also reminiscent too of the 914's pulled fenders, in the extreme. With enough time, money, manpower, and perseverance, you too can enter the competitive world of automotive design and manufacturing. Custom one off coach building, for the discriminating client.

https://www.google.com/search?q=automotive+...=kI8UnshOjVPADM
Plasticene modelling in clay, to scan for 3D data to be machined into molds. dies, and now, additive materials, applied robotically.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 14 2020, 05:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 14 2020, 06:26 PM) *

Not bad but still 500 lbs too heavy.

Lotus Elise is closest in my book, but, not really fair to call it modern anymore.

Elise is no longer sold in the US due to regulations. You can get the Evora GT400 but that's almost 3k lbs.

I agree the Elise is close. Way better of a car and a great buy right now but it's not a "new" car. Also zero creature comforts. The 4c is a modern 914 in most respects.

You'd probably see me in a c8 though....
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 15 2020, 02:01 AM) *

Also zero creature comforts.

Wait . . . did i miss somthing. I don't recall my 914 having any creature comforts. lol-2.gif

Yeah, definately a shame that so many cars are sold rest of world, but, our overlords won't let us have them in the US.

I had opportunity to drive both 1st and 2nd generation Elise and both times it was love at 1st drive. Very much a modern 914.

Unfortunatley the 2nd Gen cars taht came to the US largely seem to come in two flavors:

1) Tracked, abused, crashed and/or heavily modifed but still cost $20-$25k
2) low mileage, hardly used and owner still asking near MSRP even though car is 15 years old.

Someday the right one may pop up to compete with my love for 914's but haven't found the right one yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.