Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
roundtwo
Getting prepared for For eventually getting a muffler on my 2 L. Working on the rolling orange car. Just pulled this muffler off my white donor 1970 that has a 2 L in it. Thinking of putting it on my rebuilt 2 L that’s going into my orange build car.

Do you think it’s worth having the muffler sandblasted and getting it painted up. That way they’ll have a essentially free muffler to put on the car when it’s done. Then if I wanna modify the exhaust later I can do that. Figured I’ll save me money for now and get me closer to driving the car

When I turn the muffler inside out and backwards I hear debris inside. Can get a little out but it’s not too bad from the sound of it. No significant rust other than surface rust

Us for now to keep the project moving?

roundtwo
Oh, this is my first purse restoration. The white car was original project but along the way I found a really well document a 2 L engine with low miles and the rolling orange chassis. Thought I’d save a bunch of time by buying those for a complete car and using the white 1970 for the donor car for now.

fiacra
I think you'll be fine using that muffler. Worst case, you don't like it and then put something different on. If you decide to get rid of it, let me know! I'm driving distance away.
Root_Werks
I'd clean up the muffler and paint it, use it. I like the sound of the stock muffler. Easy to swap out later if you want.
roundtwo
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jul 14 2020, 08:43 AM) *

I'd clean up the muffler and paint it, use it. I like the sound of the stock muffler. Easy to swap out later if you want.

Yeah that makes sense. Thinking of going silver on the color although back valance is black. Not sure how much of the muffler is visible once mounted on the car.
mepstein
I would try to clean it up and use it. If it turns out to be too far gone, no big loss. I'll be introducing a stock style side exhaust 2.0 muffler to compliment the dual out stainless steel sport muffler I'm currently selling if you end up looking for something new.
914_7T3
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jul 14 2020, 08:43 AM) *

Todd,

agree.gif

Here is what they look like before & after blasting with ceramic coating.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

roundtwo
Convinced to work with what I have.

Wow!!! on the coating. Looks fantastic. I'll see how viable it is once i get the car running and if it's worth it go ceramic coating- do powder coating companies typically do that type of coating?
Porschef
If it’s only a long term temporary solution, then blast it and spray with high temp bbq paint. It’ll last for years, ask me how I know... beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.