Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Light Switch 73 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ghia1974
My brake lights come on when I start my car and do not go off. I'm assuming I have a bad brake light switch. I've read that there are 2 switches, a primary and a back up, but the information I've read is not clear on exactly what the switch configuration is or even if my problem is purely a switch issue. I believe there is some confusion between the switch(es) at the brake pedal and the brake pressure switch on the master cylinder. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my issue. Thank you
bdstone914
@ghia1974
' date='Jul 14 2020, 06:01 PM' post='2833856']
My brake lights come on when I start my car and do not go off. I'm assuming I have a bad brake light switch. I've read that there are 2 switches, a primary and a back up, but the information I've read is not clear on exactly what the switch configuration is or even if my problem is purely a switch issue. I believe there is some confusion between the switch(es) at the brake pedal and the brake pressure switch on the master cylinder. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my issue. Thank you
[/quote]

There is only one switch which operates the brake lights. It is on a bracket on the pedal set. Remove the pedal board and inspect ther switch and see that the washer on the brake rod depresses the switch. It is normally closed and should heve the lever slightly retracted . When you press the pedal the lever moves and continuity is made and the brake lights come on.
The switches rarely fail but can get broken.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.