Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stripping Paint from Blower Housing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bkrantz
Any suggestions or warnings on stripping paint from the blower housing, and trans case, too? They are both magnesium so I have concerns about chemical strippers.
mepstein
Glass bead blast.
iankarr
agree.gif
yep.
914werke
no metal oxide, try to avoid sparks!
Superhawk996
QUOTE(914werke @ Jul 14 2020, 11:23 PM) *

no metal oxide, try to avoid sparks!

Solid Magnesium itself isn't going to be ignited by stray sparks.

However, what you really want to avoid is doing the mag blasting in an enclosed space. The small magnesium particles removed by the blasting, if consolidated, will become flammable dust.

Most industrial settings that do maching or grinding of magnesium that generates small shavings and grinding dust are deemed a potentially flamable or explosive environment and require preventative countermeasures to control risk.

Do the media blasting outdoors and don't try to recover the media for reuse and you'll be OK.
914werke
it was a Joke~
but ignited Mag is NO Joke!
ctc911ctc
Will you be painting? Powder Coat? polished Magnesium?

I too am doing the same thing - mine is painted Silver........

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 14 2020, 08:05 PM) *

Any suggestions or warnings on stripping paint from the blower housing, and trans case, too? They are both magnesium so I have concerns about chemical strippers.

Superhawk996
QUOTE(914werke @ Jul 15 2020, 11:43 AM) *

it was a Joke~
but ignited Mag is NO Joke!

agree.gif

I just posted the other info just to clairify for those that might not know or appreciate the nuance.
bkrantz
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Jul 15 2020, 11:40 AM) *

I would be happy with the original raw cast finish.
bbrock
I glass blasted mine then went over it with a brass wire wheel to restore the sheen. Then I sprayed it down with Boeshield T-9 to keep it looking fresh as long as I can. It's been a year and a half on the engine stand and still looks great.

IPB Image
914_7T3
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 15 2020, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Jul 15 2020, 11:40 AM) *

I would be happy with the original raw cast finish.

This is how it looks in original finish, it will tarnish again over time of course.

Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Jul 16 2020, 07:30 PM) *

This is how it looks in original finish, it will tarnish again over time of course.

That's where the Boeshield T-9 comes in. It is a clear spray that sinks into the pores and supposedly seals the air out so it doesn't tarnish. We'll see how long it lasts.
mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 16 2020, 09:47 PM) *

That's where the Boeshield T-9 comes in. It is a clear spray that sinks into the pores and supposedly seals the air out so it doesn't tarnish. We'll see how long it lasts.

I used something similar on my mag 915 trans. Works really well.
ctc911ctc
Is this the stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/New-Boeshield-Produc...tive&sr=1-8

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 16 2020, 07:47 PM) *

bbrock
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Jul 17 2020, 12:21 PM) *

thumb3d.gif Can't remember who recommended it but I learned about it from somebody else on the forum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.