Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '70 vrs '71 wiring differences
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IronHillRestorations
I'm doing a chassis harness replacement on a '71 4 cyl car. Not exactly sure what happened but there was some melted wires to the headlight motors.

I found a good salvage harness, and in the process of doing the swap.

I've found a discrepancy between the wiring for the headlight switch. The replacement harness does not have a gray wire that was in the original harness, and did not include the switch. The gray wire in the original harness goes to terminal #56 on the headlight switch and to terminal "K" for the headlight motors. Doing more tracing today, but part of the problem is melted wires.

The factory manuals do not show a wiring schematic for all years, so I can't compare the two.

Anyone know the differences? I know there are different harnesses for each year model, except '76. I think the headlight switch is the same for '70 and '71

Any thoughts on this? @JeffBowlsby @ClayPerrine @raynekat @Spoke @BDStone914
JeffBowlsby
71 was a transition year for the chassis harness, there are early and late 1971 versions. Is your replacement harness identical to the original harness? The tell tale is the steering column connector. Early is 12 pin, late is 14 pin.
IronHillRestorations
The car build date is 1/71. It’s got a 12 pin at the column
JeffBowlsby
Here is the switch circuitry diagram, if it helps:

https://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/DashSwitches.pdf
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.