Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trunk spring clamp
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Morph914
After successfully installing the left side spring rod, I was tightening the clamps when this happened.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment headbang.gif If I had only run the die down and cleaned the paint off these, this would not have happened. What are my options besides going to a lift kit?
914Sixer
Drill out center and use e-z out tap
Morph914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 16 2020, 10:27 AM) *

Drill out center and use e-z out tap

So these are studs that are screwed into a welded nut on the backside? If so, this is great news.
Thank you
Superhawk996
FYI -- those studs are weld studs that are welded to a plate from within the frame section. EZ out will get you no where. Let me find picures of what these looked like from inside.

Not quickly finding the picture of the weld stud itsef. But I assure you, I've been in there and I'm not speculating on what it is from the inside. If you can look at the other set of studs on the spring bracket just outboard of the one that broke, you'll get an ideal of the the button head size. The button head wasn't very thick - probably 3mm or about 1/8" thick. Very hard to see but you can feel with your fingertips under the U shaped brakets.

Click to view attachment

Best suggestion I'm going to have is to drill out the rest of the broken weld stud and use a Riv-Nut in it's place assuming you don't want to get into a welding excercise.

The studs had a button head and were welded to a doubler that welded to the sheetmetal of the frame section.

If you VERY carefully drill out what's left of the threads inside the sheetmetal and tap you might have enough material between what's left of the button head and the doubler to get enough threads to hold. A bit dicey since there is quite a bit of spring force on those two small M6 studs but you wouldn't lose anything by trying.

A Riv-nut will require a much larger hole than M6 so if it gets buggered up or doesn't hold, you can still do the Riv-nut after the fact.
bbrock
I'm with Phil but am betting there is enough meat to drill and tap for the same sized stud with a bit of red Locktite. It that didn't work, the rivnut would be my backup plan.
Morph914
Thanks for the info, I will try to drill out first and see if there is enough material for a stud with locktite on it. If not I will familiarize myself with the riv nut.
I was able to see the welded in head on the other perch, I think there is enough there to get a bite on.

Cheers,
John
Superhawk996
Riv Nut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkPhGIaPCVs

Requires a special tool to install but Riv-nuts are well proven and reliable solution when sized (for grip length) and installed properly. We used to use them on the race cars all the time.

Try the drill & tap 1st. Riv-nut is a solid backup plan.

Before you try to drill that stud. Use a small grinding tip (Dremel will work) to flatten the top of the broken stud to keep the drill from skittering off center. After it's flattened, use a sharp center punch to mark the center to get the drill started in the proper location.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.