Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Underbody surface rust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Would this HF unit be sufficient to remove surface rust. This unit requires a 1 hp compressor, which I would have to buy too. And, what media would be sufficient ?
See: https://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abra...-kit-37025.html
jim_hoyland
This is the surface rust I want to remove...
BPic
In my experience no. I used a 100 sandblasted with 90 psi and glass bead. It still took some time. I used glass bead so that It wouldn’t damage the good metal.
Beach914
Jim it’s all about the cfm at a high (90 or higher). You’ll need high cfm. Not an appropriate unit for what you want to do.
mepstein
No. It won’t work with a little compressor and it will make a huge mess. Use 3M stripping wheels, wire wheels eye protection and a respirator.
jim_hoyland
Thanks for the heads up; l’ll look at plan B... smile.gif
914forme
3M stripping wheels are okay, look at the restorer. Sold by several vendors, Black and Decker, Porta Cable, Craftsman, lots of version same basic great tool.

Lots of wheels to get you through the tough tasks. And much wider tool path. And electric so you do not have an issue.

My favorite destruction tool is my Dynabrade DynaZip, but it requires a big compressor or lots of rest time for a smaller unit. Not a problem if it is your time. It is the only tool I have found that will eat through 914 seam sealer like it is not even there.

Eastwood and other have an electric version that is like a 4.5" grinder tipped on its side. Having used these, you need to wear heavy clothing and a full face shield or you will look like this guy by the end of the day.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 17 2020, 03:44 PM) *

3M stripping wheels are okay, look at the restorer. Sold by several vendors, Black and Decker, Porta Cable, Craftsman, lots of version same basic great tool.

Lots of wheels to get you through the tough tasks. And much wider tool path. And electric so you do not have an issue.

My favorite destruction tool is my Dynabrade DynaZip, but it requires a big compressor or lots of rest time for a smaller unit. Not a problem if it is your time. It is the only tool I have found that will eat through 914 seam sealer like it is not even there.

Eastwood and other have an electric version that is like a 4.5" grinder tipped on its side. Having used these, you need to wear heavy clothing and a full face shield or you will look like this guy by the end of the day.

The dynazip is on my wtb tool list but first I need the big ass compressor. I just got the ok from my electrician neighbor that my shop panel will handle the commercial unit I want.
rhodyguy
Farm it out. Can dry ice work in that situation? Is that your car?
mepstein
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 17 2020, 05:01 PM) *

Dry ice is ok for paint removal but won’t do rust removal very well.
Rand
I'd Ospho treat it. It will stop the rust and buy you time should you choose to strip it later.
76-914
Jim, with the exception of that small vertical area beneath the tank that rust looks very light. Clean a small strip and if it comes off easily go to a rental center a pick up a big variable speed electric angle grinder with a course knotted "cup" brush. Don't run the rpm too high as it will distort the cup brush and fling metal "darts" about. You'll need a cap, coveralls, full face mask, googles, gloves and a good dust mask. beerchug.gif
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=steel+braided+cu...;ref=nb_sb_noss
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GWS13-50VSP-Hi...8647&sr=8-8
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 17 2020, 05:37 PM) *

Hmm. . . . Didn't know that. The whole Dry Ice removal is appealing - still wating and hoping for something appropriate for a dry ice unit for home shop use.

Love the idea of not having sand all over the place but if it doesn't work on rust that really diminishes the appeal.
mepstein
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 18 2020, 10:49 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 17 2020, 05:37 PM) *

Hmm. . . . Didn't know that. The whole Dry Ice removal is appealing - still wating and hoping for something appropriate for a dry ice unit for home shop use.

Love the idea of not having sand all over the place but if it doesn't work on rust that really diminishes the appeal.

Even out pro plastic bead blast shop would switch to garnet or something similar to remove rust.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.