Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 starts then dies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Samnation
Hi I’m Sam, 15, I’ve been working on restoring my grandpa’s 1974, 2.0 liter, 914-4. About 20 years ago he removed the engine and rebuilt it. It wasn’t touched again until this spring when I became interested in working on it. After a bunch of work on the body and the engine I reinstalled it. It wouldn’t start so after troubleshooting spark, fuel, air leaks, etc. I had it running pretty smoothly. Time for a test drive. It worked fine going around the loop around our farm until I came to a slight hill almost to the shop. Me being 15, didn’t have much experience driving a stick, I killed it. After that it never would stay running again. I pushed it back to the shop. Here’s what it’s doing: it starts, idles very low, but usually will stay running. When I slowly open the throttle it gets to about 2000 rpm when it loses power and dies. Starting it up again takes longer cranking and sometimes a rougher idle. Here’s what I’ve done: The fuel pressure regulator I set to 29 psi, I pulled the injectors and they all seem to be spraying nicely. The spark if fine too I think. With the fuel pressure gauge on I was able to see that the fuel pressure does not drop before it dies but immediately after it dies the pressure goes to about 19 psi and holds there. I don’t think the injectors are leaking, I couldn’t see them dripping anyway. The part that gets me is that it was running fine before I drove it, something must have happened there. I would appreciate any help smile.gif
mrholland2
QUOTE(Samnation @ Jul 17 2020, 08:47 AM) *

Hi I’m Sam, 15, I’ve been working on restoring my grandpa’s 1974, 2.0 liter, 914-4. About 20 years ago he removed the engine and rebuilt it. It wasn’t touched again until this spring when I became interested in working on it. After a bunch of work on the body and the engine I reinstalled it. It wouldn’t start so after troubleshooting spark, fuel, air leaks, etc. I had it running pretty smoothly. Time for a test drive. It worked fine going around the loop around our farm until I came to a slight hill almost to the shop. Me being 15, didn’t have much experience driving a stick, I killed it. After that it never would stay running again. I pushed it back to the shop. Here’s what it’s doing: it starts, idles very low, but usually will stay running. When I slowly open the throttle it gets to about 2000 rpm when it loses power and dies. Starting it up again takes longer cranking and sometimes a rougher idle. Here’s what I’ve done: The fuel pressure regulator I set to 29 psi, I pulled the injectors and they all seem to be spraying nicely. The spark if fine too I think. With the fuel pressure gauge on I was able to see that the fuel pressure does not drop before it dies but immediately after it dies the pressure goes to about 19 psi and holds there. I don’t think the injectors are leaking, I couldn’t see them dripping anyway. The part that gets me is that it was running fine before I drove it, something must have happened there. I would appreciate any help smile.gif

Hi Sam,
I'm NOT one of the experts, but I've been reading tons of what the folks here write (and they are good).

When you recommissioned the car, did you clean out the fuel tank and the pickup "sock" in the tank? That seems to be a sticking point with lots of cars like yours. The only reason I thought of this was the fact that it first happened on a small hill which would swish around any crud in the bottom of the tank. . get sucked onto the sock, and plug things up enough that increased fuel demand would result in later fuel starvation. (enough gas for a bit, but once that first gush is gone, the crud blocking the sock keeps the flow too low as the demand continues)

Not sure if this is right, but if the fuel tank hasn't been cleaned, it couldn't hurt. If you find crud, a new fuel filter might be in order (might do it anyway, they are cheap)

Good luck and welcome!!!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
does it have anything to do with hot or cold?

Samnation
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Jul 17 2020, 11:12 AM) *

Hi Sam,
I'm NOT one of the experts, but I've been reading tons of what the folks here write (and they are good).

When you recommissioned the car, did you clean out the fuel tank and the pickup "sock" in the tank? That seems to be a sticking point with lots of cars like yours. The only reason I thought of this was the fact that it first happened on a small hill which would swish around any crud in the bottom of the tank. . get sucked onto the sock, and plug things up enough that increased fuel demand would result in later fuel starvation. (enough gas for a bit, but once that first gush is gone, the crud blocking the sock keeps the flow too low as the demand continues)

Not sure if this is right, but if the fuel tank hasn't been cleaned, it couldn't hurt. If you find crud, a new fuel filter might be in order (might do it anyway, they are cheap)

Good luck and welcome!!!

I did not clean it. That is a good point though, I will check into it. Thanks for the help.
Samnation
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 17 2020, 11:58 AM) *

does it have anything to do with hot or cold?

Do you mean engine temperature or weather?
jaredmcginness
QUOTE(Samnation @ Jul 17 2020, 01:33 PM) *

He probably means engine temp. When it cools off, any luck restarting? Definitely check the fuel tank.

BTW since no one else said it yet - welcome to 914 World! This is a great community.

Post some photos of the car, we love pictures. beerchug.gif
Samnation
QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Jul 17 2020, 01:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Samnation @ Jul 17 2020, 01:33 PM) *

He probably means engine temp. When it cools off, any luck restarting? Definitely check the fuel tank.

BTW since no one else said it yet - welcome to 914 World! This is a great community.

Post some photos of the car, we love pictures. beerchug.gif

Thank you I’m glad I could join! I will check that here soon. I’ll get some pictures too biggrin.gif
mrholland2
You can google search for topics on here about engine dies
In your google search bar type: 914World engine dies

Even if the problems aren't about this one, they may be about the next one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.