Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
All Teeners

Just got the 2.0L out of the '74 (all stock and orig) for the first time during the life of the car.

Click to view attachment

I am cleaning the engine and tin and the tin is in need of paint.

Pressure washed as far as I can go soooooo I am going to take it to the powder coat guys. HOWEVER, i remember reading something about the thermal properties of powder coat vs. paint a few years back.

Any Theories about this? stirthepot.gif

Also, I was thinking of a color rather than black - any preferences???????

Red perhaps?
Coondog
Paint same color as your car.
Rand
I'd powdercoat satin black. The color won't make an appreciable cooling difference, the seals and airflow will handle that. A bright color would be easier to spot cleaning needs. But since it's not concourse, do what *you* like. beerchug.gif
iankarr
satin black powder coat. more durable...especially since you've got gas and oil aroune 'em.
914werke
agree.gif I use a 60% gloss
Chief
Sorry to hijack, but would normal rattle can paint take the heat?
I just think powder coat looks a bit thick...
Olympic 914
I like it Black, it's original color.
falcor75
I did mine in silver powder coat. Brightens the engine back up a fair bit and makes it more pleasant to work in.

IPB Image
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Chief @ Jul 18 2020, 03:46 AM) *

Sorry to hijack, but would normal rattle can paint take the heat?
I just think powder coat looks a bit thick...

On my 1st teener I didn't have money for fancy powder coat. Heck, powerder coat was only beginning to come into it's own back then.

Rustoleum rattle can Red. Everyone knows Red or yellow tin adds at least 10 HP right?

Held up to heat fine. Held up to oil and gas pretty well as long as it didn't sit on there for extended periods. As an added bonus when it did get boogered up bit, a shot or two from than can and it was good as new.
mepstein
Powdercoat is pretty much once and done forever. Shop will also bead blast. Removing paint on the tin is a big hassle.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jul 18 2020, 08:31 AM) *

I did mine in silver powder coat. Brightens the engine back up a fair bit and makes it more pleasant to work in.

IPB Image

Wow do I agree!!!
wub.gif
Mcraneiowa
That looks sharp in silver. I would consider doing mine in Silver now

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jul 18 2020, 07:31 AM) *

IPB Image

Literati914

@falcor75 Did you use the same silver on your fan housing as was used on the tins? Can't really make it out on my monitor. Looks great tho, as I've mentioned before!

falcor75
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jul 18 2020, 07:26 PM) *

@falcor75 Did you use the same silver on your fan housing as was used on the tins? Can't really make it out on my monitor. Looks great tho, as I've mentioned before!

No the fan housing is a high temp (engine) silver spray paint.
ctc911ctc
Silver it will be!

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jul 18 2020, 06:31 AM) *

IPB Image

IronHillRestorations
Powder coating is the best choice, but you can't really touch it up if needed. I've got the Hot-Coat kit, but have gone to using an aerosol. I use either VHT black epoxy or Duplicolor high temp satin black on the tins and cast metal on the impeller housing.

My personal preference is as close to stock as possible, but it's your car do what you like. I've done the body color thing, but after a while I didn't like it as much.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.