Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pitted lifters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Phoenix914
I'm taking my very old 2056 apart for what looks like will be a complete rebuild. According to the paperwork the PO gave me and from looking at the cam gear, the camshaft is reground from a stock unit with a 272 deg. duration. I don't know the lift.

With all that said, a few of the lifters appear to have some pitting in the face. This is probably the worst one:

Click to view attachment

And a different exposure for additional detail:

Click to view attachment

A few questions that come to mind:

What causes this? The cam lobes looked to have minimal wear and no scarring that I can see.
Could these lifters be refaced and reused?
Are they stock lifters?
Should I simply scrap camshaft and lifters and then start new? I had planned to reuse what I have until I saw this pitting.

Thanks for any advice.
914Sixer
You will need NEW ones. If they were just dished they could be reground and reused. Pitting usually comes from water. I am guessing they were NOT stock.

Start with a new camshaft and rockers.
Phoenix914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 18 2020, 04:25 PM) *

You will need NEW ones. If they were just dished they could be reground and reused. Pitting usually comes from water. I am guessing they were NOT stock.

Start with a new camshaft and rockers.

It sounds like I have just acquired some new paperweights. Thanks for your feedback. Now on to deciding which camshaft to buy...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.