Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old carpet glue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Archie
Hi Group,

Does anybody have a favourite trick they might share to get rid of the old carpet glue, please? The tar is in really good shape, so I don't want to disturb that. Thanks.
Rand
QUOTE(Archie @ Jul 18 2020, 11:01 AM) *

Hi Group,

Does anybody have a favourite trick they might share to get rid of the old carpet glue, please? The tar is in really good shape, so I don't want to disturb that. Thanks.

Funny thing about the tar, it always looks to be in great shape even when it's ugly underneath. See if you can get a peek under the rear passenger corner to make sure. You may have an exceptional car and that would be awesome! Just keep in mind that tar usually hides rust and it would be a good time to check before prettying up the tar. Were you thinking of leaving it exposed?
Mikey914
I'd look at goof-off 1st as it's probably the least aggressive.It is made to remove adhesive.
Archie
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 18 2020, 11:56 AM) *

QUOTE(Archie @ Jul 18 2020, 11:01 AM) *

Hi Group,

Funny thing about the tar, it always looks to be in great shape even when it's ugly underneath. See if you can get a peek under the rear passenger corner to make sure. You may have an exceptional car and that would be awesome! Just keep in mind that tar usually hides rust and it would be a good time to check before prettying up the tar. Were you thinking of leaving it exposed?

Sounds like good advice. Thanks, and no, in fact I'm in the market for some new carpet.
Rand
QUOTE(Archie @ Jul 22 2020, 05:26 PM) *

no, in fact I'm in the market for some new carpet.

Why are you concerned with the old glue?
live free & drive
I had good luck with Turtle Wax adhesive remover that you can find in most auto parts stores.

It's slightly more aggressive than Goof-off, but Goof-off seems to have gotten quite a bit weaker over the years.

The Turtle wax remover did not hurt the paint, but it still takes a lot of time and elbow grease -with repeated wipe downs it will take even the original adhesive off
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.