Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Some Dimensions Please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
If anyone presently has their engine out, could someone kindly measure the length, width. and height of the complete drivetrain. This would be the engine, transmission, heat exchangers, and muffler all connected together as it is in the car.
I am preparing to pull my engine from my '74 2.0 and have VERY little garage space to keep the engine and car inside when not working on it. Want to see if things will fit. Thanks in advance.

Ansbacher
barefoot
No dimensions, but here's the complete package:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Ansbacher
Well, those pics tell me that the widest dimension is the span of the engine support bar. I get 43 inches for that, measuring underneath my car. Guess I am SOL.

Ansbacher
worn
In my experience if you start taking things apart they take 5-10 as much space as originally. Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm. They just do. Especially if you keep things in order.
The saving grace is that plastic tubs come in many sizes and can be stored outdoors. Not sure if there is an engine sized tub though, but there probably is something that will work.
Good luck.
Ansbacher
worn: My enthusiasm is already dampened. SOL = sh*t out of luck.

Ansbacher
bbrock
Well, the bar only takes 5 minutes to take off and would gain you several inches. I stored mine on a shelf in a storage shed for 36 years by removing the heat exchangers and bar, and splitting the trans and engine. I kept the tins and carbs on. Not exactly what you want but not major disassembly/reassembly.
Chris914n6
I put the car high on blocks so I can roll the drive train under for storage. It's also easier to work on the car when I'm not bending down to do everything.
Ansbacher
bbrock: I was not aware of the option to remove the engine bar. Brilliant! I may have room now. Thanks.

Chris: Another great idea. Thanks!

Ansbacher

mlindner
You can buy a large tote that is black with yellow top, fits the complete trans.(what Dr Evil uses to ship trans)..For the engine just purchase a few sheets of plywood and 2x4's and build a nice box, cover with plastic/water proof sheeting. Also screw 2x4s to bottom to keep off of ground. Put dryer sheets in both to keep mice out. Best, Mark
BillC
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 18 2020, 09:01 PM) *

I put the car high on blocks so I can roll the drive train under for storage. It's also easier to work on the car when I'm not bending down to do everything.

Excellent suggestion. I also have the car up on blocks while I'm working on it.

I like the Race Ramps wheel cribs. They come in 8", 10" and 12" heights, in single-piece and two-piece designs. Here's a listing for some. Although, I recommend shopping around, since I've found them a little cheaper at places other than Amazon. The 12" wheel cribs are high enough that I was able to remove my engine without first removing the rear valance.

Also, you'll need jacks that go high enough. I have a pair of Arcan XL2T jacks that work great, and go high enough for the 12" wheel cribs to fit. Here's a listing for XL2T jacks. Again, shop around, but also include shipping costs in the comparison, since the jacks are heavy.

Another useful tool is the Tangering Racing engine/trans lifting plate (first tool at the top of the page).
ctc911ctc
Barefoot,

How did you get that tranny so clean!

Power washed mine all day today and it is not even close to yours......sigh

QUOTE(barefoot @ Jul 18 2020, 01:57 PM) *

No dimensions, but here's the complete package:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.