Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Temp Gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ballsyfacts914
Hi All,

Hope all are staying safe in these trying times. Glad I have a 914 to play with!

I have recently realized that the oil temp gauge in the cockpit is not only likely the wrong type but I do not seem to have the sender/sensor from the taco plate. It is a VDO gauge but it isn't like the ones I have seen described or pictured here. Namely, the gauge has no red zone. I should also mention the temp gauge is an after market add as it is hanging from the center of the console.

As I mentioned, after having a look at the taco plate, there does not seem to be a sender/sensor or at least nothing that looks like what it should.

I want to know that the 914 isn't running hot so I need to replace/add so that I get a temp reading in the cockpit. At this point I assume I need a new gauge, sender/sensor, and plate that holds the sender/sensor to accomplish.

What I am having trouble with is finding the right combo of parts. I understand that the gauge will dictate which sender/sensor I need. As I am still familiarizing myself with parts and gaining confidence when I buy parts, I want to ask what gauge and sender/sensor combo do I get. Also, where can I find these parts as Pelican seems to be limited with regard to the gauge.

Thanks in advance!
FlacaProductions
Without describing exactly what gauge you already have, it'll be hard to figure out what sender you need. That said, here's a great diagram of the different combination of sender/gauges if you simply want to go back to "factory"

Click to view attachment
ballsyfacts914
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jul 18 2020, 07:08 PM) *

Without describing exactly what gauge you already have, it'll be hard to figure out what sender you need. That said, here's a great diagram of the different combination of sender/gauges if you simply want to go back to "factory"

Click to view attachment

It is neither of those gauges. Does it matter which gauge I use even if I have 1975? Pelican has the pre -73' gauge.

Thanks
barefoot
If you don't have a wire going to the taco plate, can you tell what the gauge is wired to ? something in the dipstick tube perhaps ??
FlacaProductions
Shouldn't matter what gauge you use as long as you use the correct/matching sender.
ballsyfacts914
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jul 19 2020, 11:12 AM) *

Shouldn't matter what gauge you use as long as you use the correct/matching sender.

I get it now, thank you
ballsyfacts914
QUOTE(barefoot @ Jul 19 2020, 05:37 AM) *

If you don't have a wire going to the taco plate, can you tell what the gauge is wired to ? something in the dipstick tube perhaps ??

Checking this tomorrow, the gauge is wired, just got to see where they are going.
ballsyfacts914
Ok, so I am not seeing any wires near the taco plate. I have to assume the wires are somewhere.... idea.gif

Where shall I look?

Thanks in advance
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have the original style gauge, correct size and temp range as well as the correct sending unit (200c). We also sell the plate and o ring to mount it.

QUOTE(ballsyfacts914 @ Jul 18 2020, 04:08 PM) *

Hi All,

Hope all are staying safe in these trying times. Glad I have a 914 to play with!

I have recently realized that the oil temp gauge in the cockpit is not only likely the wrong type but I do not seem to have the sender/sensor from the taco plate. It is a VDO gauge but it isn't like the ones I have seen described or pictured here. Namely, the gauge has no red zone. I should also mention the temp gauge is an after market add as it is hanging from the center of the console.

As I mentioned, after having a look at the taco plate, there does not seem to be a sender/sensor or at least nothing that looks like what it should.

I want to know that the 914 isn't running hot so I need to replace/add so that I get a temp reading in the cockpit. At this point I assume I need a new gauge, sender/sensor, and plate that holds the sender/sensor to accomplish.

What I am having trouble with is finding the right combo of parts. I understand that the gauge will dictate which sender/sensor I need. As I am still familiarizing myself with parts and gaining confidence when I buy parts, I want to ask what gauge and sender/sensor combo do I get. Also, where can I find these parts as Pelican seems to be limited with regard to the gauge.

Thanks in advance!

ballsyfacts914
Click to view attachment

Alright, two post, this one has the sender unit. What connector do I need? I already have wire. Second post will have the connection from the wiring harness which is connected to the battery.
ballsyfacts914
Click to view attachment

And here is the connection from the harness.

Thank you
ballsyfacts914
Hi All,

Update, if you have been following this oh so interesting post. All I needed was a connection to the sender at the taco plate to the wire harness connected to the battery.

Temp gauge works!

Appreciate all the replies, thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.