Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anything to be aware of when connecting 75/76 exhaust manifolds to the engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
I checked and the studs are in place and they seem like they’re in decent shape, any tips or anything else to be aware of when putting everything in place to make sure it seals up properly?

It seems straightforward enough but I’ve learned to ask because there’s not a whole lot that you guys haven’t figured out to do better than the shop manuals. .

Thanks and hope everybody has a good Sunday.
barefoot
Run a large file across the sealing faces to insure they're flat & square to each other. Then test fit to insure they slide evenly onto the studs, have been known to warp so won't fit. Much easier to install than the pre 75 versions as they're so short. I used a little copper paste on the seal surfaces and new copper coated nuts with SS washers so nuts don't gouge into holding surfaces. Torque in increasing values up to specified torque. If you're able, re-torque after having been up to operating temperature.
IronHillRestorations
If you are using all stock parts, you shouldn't have problems. You might have the stub pipes magnafluxed to make sure you don't have any cracks. That said, those factory stub pipes have much better flanges than an aftermarket HE's

I think barefoot was making reference to the marginal fit that's found on some aftermarket heat exchangers.
Krieger
Anneal the copper gaskets before installation. Antiseize on the studs. Copper coated nuts. Recheck torque on nuts after a few drives. Drop torque value to account for wet threads.
Tdskip
Thanks gentlemen, great info
Bleyseng
Flat filing with the biggest flat file is the key so the J pipe sealing surfaces are parallel to each other.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.