Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to do with old helmets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
I imagine most people toss them. I have three expired. Two open faced, one closed. They are not really expensive ones.
preach
Shop art.
914xr75
second vote for shop art. Set them right next to the old oil cans.
VegasRacer
Flower planter. clover.gif Fondue bowl.. stirthepot.gif Ice bucket. beer.gif

If you do throw them out, cut the chin strap. sawzall-smiley.gif
Krieger
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jul 19 2020, 01:51 PM) *

Flower planter. clover.gif Fondue bowl.. stirthepot.gif Ice bucket. beer.gif

If you do throw them out, cut the chin strap. sawzall-smiley.gif

lol-2.gif

Good call on cutting the straps

I do not have any garage art/oil cans. Maybe time to start
90quattrocoupe
After all these years, you have to wonder if there are any real improvement being made to helmets. What is done from one Snell approval to the next? Do we ever know?

Greg W.
MartyYeoman
Mostly, I think the foam just degrades.
carr914
Click to view attachment
GregAmy
Last couple of Snell versions have been to the HANS anchor systems. Otherwise, there's not a lot of safety differences between 2010, 2015, and the upcoming 2020.

SCCA Club Racing will allow the current Snell and one version back (so today, 2015 and 2010*.)

SCCA Track Night in America and autocross allow current Snell and two versions back (so today, 2015, 2010, and 2005.)

Some other lapping and autocross groups *might* allow older helmets, but I doubt it.

All my old helmets for the last 35 years end up on a shelf in my garage. Until my wife gets tired of my old ones and throws them away.

GA

*Because 2020 helmets are embargoed for sale until October - Snell does this every changeover year - SCCA Club Racing is allowing 2010 helmets through the end of calendar year 2021.
Jett
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 21 2020, 03:52 AM) *

Very cool!
Cairo94507
I tossed my old helmets. I don't want the clutter and definitely did not want someone else wearing an old, possibly unsafe, helmet. If I had the room to display them....no wait, I still would not keep them. I have enough stuff already. beerchug.gif
Krieger
I am leaning towards throwing them out, but maybe hanging one from the roof gable outside the garage.
stownsen914
Autocrossers are sometimes allowed to use old helmets. Motorcyclists might be interested too. While sub-optimal, an expired Snell helmet may be better than the crap helmets that some people would otherwise use?
Unobtanium-inc
My choice.
campbellcj
I donated my last several to POC for the club's student/spare loaner pool. Although to me, wearing someone else's used helmet is pretty close to borrowing used underwear...
Krieger
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jul 22 2020, 05:37 AM) *

My choice.

Tracks could use them as braking markers. lol-2.gif
Krieger
Oops
RFoulds
I keep 3 helmets. current one Snell 2015, and last 2 expired, Snell 2010 and 2005. That way I always have an extra for ridealong, although I have no passenger seat.
preach
Love carr914 and Unobtanium_inc both have the best ideas. UIs idea is awesome if I had a better entry to my shop.

My first helmet that will be going on the shelf will be my still legal for some things open face helmet. Unfortunately I cannot use it in LeMons racing and have to get a full face.

Off to Racequip or somewhere for a full suit and helmet/hans.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.