Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifting gremlin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Neal
My 76 2.0 has a problem, last night out of the blue I was and are still unable to shift into 4'th gear all others work fine. The linkage has been rebuilt with all new bushings and the car has a failrly new clutch. The weird thng is I can select 4'th gear if the car is sitting and not running.
Is this a possible transmission problem. They only other
symptom is that the shifter seems to be tight when the car is running and I try to shift into 4'th.
Neal sad.gif
Curvie Roadlover
I had that same problem with my previous 914 when it warmed up. 4th gear was either impossible or very difficult to get. I was told to swap out my gear oil for some Swepco which I did and the problem went away. I hope this would work for you, too, as it is a very easy fix. And, as you can imagine, I now use Swepco gear oil exclusively in my tranny. HTH and good luck
Neal
Thanks but I have Swepco in the tranny. This is a new problem and it's strange.
Neal
-P-
I have a similiar issue. While I can hit 4th, it is the most vague feeling gear and sometimes requires a double take to make sure she is in. I jsut adjusted my linkage as it was getting really hard to get it into 1st, 3rd, and 5th. Havent tried swapping the oil.
Neal
Guys, my issue is I can't hit 4'th. Shifting is normal on all other gears and the linkage looks and feels normal. Do you think this could be an internal tranny problem ?
Brad Roberts
It could be a linkage issue.

The forward movement of the shift rod is the same for R/2nd/4th.

You may have a loose set screw in on of the couplers.n These really control the side to side movement of the shift rods. I would see if you have one starting to back out.

Another thought:

When the clutch tube breaks.. the tube interferes with 4th gear engagment.. typically it effects 5th also.

B
Brad Roberts
Oh..

The plastic bushing in the rear coupler could be toast or the bushing for the shift console has popped out.

B
Neal
I am still having the problem but I just noticed that when I have the center tunnel carpet out and I am shifting that there is a stud with about a 12 mm nut sticking out of the left side off the tunnel on the drivers side, when I shift I see that this stud is moving around and it appears that it attaches to a metal rod in the center tunnel that is next to the shift linkage, when I shift to 4'th the linkage is hitting this rod and thats when I see the stud and bolt move. What is this stud for and could this be my problem ? blink.gif
Neal
Neal
This problem is fixed, it turned out that my dad had the clutch tube repaired way back when and they used the clamp method. Both welds are gone but it's only clamped in one place and that clamp came loose and the tube shifted forward blocking the shifter from 4'th and 5'th engagment. If I had known how far the clutch tube is aupposed to be visible from the inspection hole I would have firgured it out but not knowing a frigging thing about how it's supposed to be I was clueless. Redmond European loosened the clamp (I had tightened trying to diagonse the problem) and shoved the tube back towards the rear of the car. Shifts great and my clutch cable adjustment problem is fixed.
Oh well I don't mind spending some money occasionaly and each time I learn a little more.
Neal
DNHunt
Neal,

Glad to hear it's fixed. I have the exact opposite problem. My wife finds 4th gear all the time. Practice doesn't seem to help. Sometimes I wish I could lock it out. mad.gif

Still it's nice to see her take some interest. This weekend she actually asked (well said) "I'll drive back to Jamie's". Mind you we were at Gary Emory's Parts Obsolete. (the place is like the candy shop of your dreams combined with Hooters and "Stairway to Heaven" played really loud, only about cars). Man, I'm really excited, on the way back I'm gonna rip up some Oregon road with 13 other 914's. Can life get any better? Thenshe comes up with that and I'm left with a real dilemma. Do I say "No way" and risk killing what interest she has, but I could have a 914 orgasm? Or Do I say "Have a great time" and hope she enjoys it enough to let me throw way too much money at a car that will never sell for whats in it? So

I say have "Have a great time" and I hope for the best. (Man deferred gratification sucks). My daughter says "I'll go with mom" My son rides with rhodyguy (Kevin)in his 914. And I drive back to Monmouth in a Subaru Impreza (Not a WRX). Not only that Kevin's parting shot is "Get back in that Subi where you belong".

I know you guys remember that frustration, only a cold shower kills. To top it off when we get back, I ask Betsy how the drive was and she says "Watching all the cars go over the hills and around the corners was really pretty". Argh. What about the highspeed sweepers, the sounds, how fast did you go, any blurps from the engine, who pulled who, there must be more. mad.gif Oh well it was my idea to make it a family affair.

After lunch was over Betsy says "Let's go down the street there's a helmet I want you to try on" It didn't fit but maybe there's hope. wub.gif

Dave
SirAndy
QUOTE(Neal @ Aug 6 2003, 06:49 AM)
Redmond European loosened the clamp (I had tightened trying to diagonse the problem) and shoved the tube back towards the rear of the car.

ahem, that tube is supposed to be fastened in the front and the back. the tube might still flex if it isn't tacked back on in the back ...

Andy
jfort
I am having the same 4th gear problem. There must be an epidemic. I couldn't fix it by adjusting my new RennShift. The car is with a VW mechanic today. Hopefully, he experience will be able to identify and fix the problem. I'll print out this thread for him. I wish I had had it this morning when I dropped the car off.
jfort
Just spoke to the mechanic. He had concluded that the problem is in the tranny. But, after I read him this thread, he said he had not yet checked the bushings in the rear. Hopefully, that's where he'll find the problem. I don't want to have to take out the tranny!! Any other ideas?
Neal
The tube has been secured that way for at least 23 years, this was the 1'st problem with it looseing.
let's hope it lasts another 23.
Neal boldblue.gif
jfort
my clutch cable tube was impeding the movement of the shifter. but, according to the mechanic, make a bracket and tacking it down, so as to reduce the bowing, did not solve my 4th gear problem. 4th still pops out even with the Rennshift adjusted so as to provide the maximum throw for 4th gear. sooooo, i guess the tranny is coming out soon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.