Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I ran across someone selling a -6 for $500
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Rider914
No relation just ran across this on YouTube - One of you guys might want to check it out:

It was a post way down on this Hagarty video.

https://youtu.be/7oUBphRM4_8

offplanetevent
1 year ago
For sale
1970 914 - 6 gt targa
All original. Palm Springs lifer.
Resting on knudsen milk crates.
Missing all 4 of the 5 lug rims, the spare is there. The car has been sun baked since 1990, no paint on the top side ( cover rotted away ). The interior looks like new, but dont touch it...it will crumble.
The engine supposedly has a hole in one of the pistons. It ran ( very rough ) when parked.
37,000 original miles on a working speedo.
Make a resonable offer.
YOU will need a crane to remove the car from the rear yard, trees have grown and blocked its way out. And NO, Im not cutting down the trees.

PapaWheelie
PapaWheelie
54 minutes ago
Did someone restore it?

offplanetevent
offplanetevent
18 minutes ago
@PapaWheelie The is car original...drove it from 1970 to 1990.
Parked it ( 37,000 miles ) because it ran rough. The mechanic said it had low compression in one cylinder, either a piston problem or a valve problem.
Its still out there coverd over by trees, bring a crane or disassemble it. Its yours for 500.00 as is, where is. Parts are NOT for sale.

Rider914
He seems interested in getting it sold - I want a ride when one of you get it perfect lol

This is what he replied to me - sounds like some work but the price is right...

PapaWheelie
26 minutes ago
offplanetevent - Awesome, I am in the other corner of the US but I sent this to some 914 guys that I know. One of them will be able to get this thing back to it’s full glory on the road if she isn’t too rusted.

Fingers crossed.

offplanetevent
Highlighted reply
offplanetevent
11 minutes ago
@PapaWheelie shes rust free, just surface rust where the paint faded away/gone from the desert sun. We dont get any rain here in the desert.
Shes dry as an old bone.
Send me your friends email.

RiqueMar
QUOTE(Rider914 @ Jul 19 2020, 07:25 PM) *

He seems interested in getting it sold - I want a ride when one of you get it perfect lol

This is what he replied to me - sounds like some work but the price is right...

PapaWheelie
26 minutes ago
offplanetevent - Awesome, I am in the other corner of the US but I sent this to some 914 guys that I know. One of them will be able to get this thing back to it’s full glory on the road if she isn’t too rusted.

Fingers crossed.

offplanetevent
Highlighted reply
offplanetevent
11 minutes ago
@PapaWheelie shes rust free, just surface rust where the paint faded away/gone from the desert sun. We dont get any rain here in the desert.
Shes dry as an old bone.
Send me your friends email.

Thanks for the post! Followed the link and tried to comment as well, I'm about 1.5 hours away and this would be a really cool project for my Dad and I. (Fingers crossed).
914e
Very tempting, either one my daughters would be bugging me to drive to Palms Springs tonight if they knew about it.
banananose914
QUOTE(914e @ Jul 19 2020, 07:50 PM) *

Very tempting, either one my daughters would be bugging me to drive to Palms Springs tonight if they knew about it.

If anyone has the seller’s information and they are not going to pursue this car, I would be very interested in it. Now that my 6 is done and Cairo’s car is close to being done, I’m looking for another six project. For me, I have found that the journey to restoration is more enjoyable than the destination. I would definitely put the time, money and effort into restoring it. I’m going to be optimistic here and figure that it can’t be worse than the one I started with. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim.
914e
QUOTE(banananose914 @ Jul 19 2020, 10:16 PM) *

QUOTE(914e @ Jul 19 2020, 07:50 PM) *

If anyone has the seller’s information and they are not going to pursue this car, I would be very interested in it. Now that my 6 is done and Cairo’s car is close to being done, I’m looking for another six project. For me, I have found that the journey to restoration is more enjoyable than the destination. I would definitely put the time, money and effort into restoring it. I’m going to be optimistic here and figure that it can’t be worse than the one I started with. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim.

As I tell my kids cars are like pets, the right one somehow just shows up at your doorstep. My 914 I had seen for sell before, I was interested but we already had a project. After we finished the kid's bug. It popped up again at a really good price. However I called about an hour too late. I told the owner well if the deal falls though give me a call. A few days later the phone rang.
djway
Crane required to get it out of the yard over the trees. huh.gif
infraredcalvin
Lol, now that this guy is getting bombarded with hopefuls.... I’m one too!
Rider914
Are you Fernando on YouTube? If so I will back you up there with a comment to the guy.
mmichalik
I'll buy it right now for twice the price if no one else wants it.
I'm only 45 minutes away, i'll be there by the end of the day.
Rider914
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Jul 20 2020, 10:38 AM) *

I'll buy it right now for twice the price if no one else wants it.
I'm only 45 minutes away, i'll be there by the end of the day.

He just replied to me on YouTube - Go to that video and send him your info.

His latest reply says that the last estimate was $4k to remove the car for the cost of the crane and permits. IDK if it is worth that, but if it really is a 6-GT then ?

Good luck
Cairo94507
How about 20 guys just pick it up and walk it out? Lunch for 20 guys probably a lot cheaper than a crane.

@banananose914 - Jim - If you get this I will come down to help you get it out of where ever it is and onto a dolly/trailer. I know you are jonesing for a new 6 project. beerchug.gif
jaredmcginness
Cairo, You thinking what I'm thinking? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

IPB Image
Cairo94507
Absolutely! Jim can buy the Pizza and beer! beerchug.gif chowtime.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 20 2020, 11:53 AM) *

How about 20 guys just pick it up and walk it out? Lunch for 20 guys probably a lot cheaper than a crane.

@banananose914 - Jim - If you get this I will come down to help you get it out of where ever it is and onto a dolly/trailer. I know you are jonesing for a new 6 project. beerchug.gif

The problem may be the room to get it out. If the trees are big enough, there may be no path out for it.

Hence the crane... pick it up over the house.

If either of these scenarios happen, you need to video it so we can all see. I for one would love to see a bunch of 914 junkies carrying a 914 out of the back yard of a house!

How are you going to find enough handholds for 20 guys?
ClayPerrine
Oh.. and it would be worth getting out of there just for the VIN number and all the six specific parts.

Cairo94507
A few big straps going under the car and then some 12' 4x4 lumber to anchor the straps to and then everyone grabs the 4x4 and lifts and carries. Easy peasy.
bretth
I would think I crane would damage the car too much. Maybe someone could pay to replace the removed trees? Wackiness. Hope if doesn't end up being a rusted out 4 after all.
burlybryan
QUOTE(bretth @ Jul 20 2020, 02:20 PM) *

I would think I crane would damage the car too much. Maybe someone could pay to replace the removed trees? Wackiness. Hope if doesn't end up being a rusted out 4 after all.

A proper crane service would have spreader bars to keep the straps away from the sides of the car. Easy to do without inflicting any damage...unless they drop it of course.
roblav1
Make a simple harness with straps going through the four shock towers.
hcdmueller
Strip most of the parts in place. Body parts, interior, engine/trans, etc. Remove and catalog/place in bins. Have a handful of strong people on standby to maneuver out by hand. The bare shell is only supposed to weigh around 500lbs.
If the trees are so close it can't be pulled through with a little tree trimming, then look into a crane. I have a mental image of what this looks like, and it makes me wish I was still living in Phoenix. Even if I couldn't buy it, I would have been over there to confirm that it's a real six for anyone who asked.
SirAndy
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
MartyYeoman
agree.gif
Rider914
Might be getting pictures or a video soon - He just replied to me (I'm PappaWheelie on YouTube Please Like and Subscribe)...

Copied from YouTube comments just now:

PapaWheelie
7 hours ago
offplanetevent - I know all of these guys from the 914 community. All good guys that will work hard to get her restored and back on the road.
I would hate to see a classic turn to dust - best of luck

offplanetevent
Highlighted reply
offplanetevent
18 minutes ago
Im going to have my grandson take a video of the car and put it on here. I will have him link it here...if thats the right social lingo.

Or this may be a Nigerian Prince Scam IDK confused24.gif
ctc911ctc
I was right behind you with my email address and a request for a phone number. Nothing. Not sure what is going on here unless he is observing the 1st Come First Served protocol.

Been looking for a dry 'mothballed' 6 for a few years. Have seen a few that have been pickled by Northern Brine..........would rather work with vinyl DUST than Northern RUST.

Good Luck with this one!
CTC911CTC

QUOTE(Rider914 @ Jul 20 2020, 09:14 PM) *

Might be getting pictures or a video soon - He just replied to me (I'm PappaWheelie on YouTube Please Like and Subscribe)...

Copied from YouTube comments just now:

PapaWheelie
7 hours ago
offplanetevent - I know all of these guys from the 914 community. All good guys that will work hard to get her restored and back on the road.
I would hate to see a classic turn to dust - best of luck

offplanetevent
Highlighted reply
offplanetevent
18 minutes ago
Im going to have my grandson take a video of the car and put it on here. I will have him link it here...if thats the right social lingo.

Or this may be a Nigerian Prince Scam IDK confused24.gif

Rider914
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Jul 21 2020, 08:27 AM) *

I was right behind you with my email address and a request for a phone number. Nothing. Not sure what is going on here unless he is observing the 1st Come First Served protocol.

Been looking for a dry 'mothballed' 6 for a few years. Have seen a few that have been pickled by Northern Brine..........would rather work with vinyl DUST than Northern RUST.

Good Luck with this one!
CTC911CTC

Agreed - I'm in South Florida so no way I could even think about this one, so I posted it up to the board to give our Californina guys a shot. I don't know if it is real but fun to dream...

I need to find a fellow Teener where I live to get me interested and motivated to work on my '72 thats been parked for 10 years in storage...
ctc911ctc
I am sure interested, but 1K miles north

There are guys in your area - will send em your way when I run into them!

QUOTE(Rider914 @ Jul 21 2020, 07:44 AM) *

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Jul 21 2020, 08:27 AM) *

Good Luck with this one!
CTC911CTC

Agreed - I'm in South Florida so no way I could even think about this one, so I posted it up to the board to give our Californina guys a shot. I don't know if it is real but fun to dream...

I need to find a fellow Teener where I live to get me interested and motivated to work on my '72 thats been parked for 10 years in storage...

Unobtanium-inc
I love it when people tell me you can't get a car out. "Watch me", I say.
We had a 53 Coupe body one time, accessible by ATV only, we built a road to get it out.

Big John says you gotta think Egyptian, levers, manpower, etc. If someone can post pics I can walk you through some ways that work.

The car pictured is in the UK now getting restored. Save them all!

VegasRacer
very_first_smiley[1].gif
Click to view attachment
eric9144
@vegasracer lol-2.gif laugh.gif av-943.gif
If we call come together we can get that out! smoke.gif
Rider914
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jul 22 2020, 11:52 AM) *

IDK That looks like a lost cause!!!
framos914
QUOTE(Rider914 @ Jul 22 2020, 10:19 AM) *

Has anyone actually got a phone number and spoken with the owner?
I'm willing to help in the recovery mission or go today and see the car.
MM1
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jul 22 2020, 10:48 AM) *

Wow - that's the weirdest looking Redwoods I've ever seen! And in Arizona?
Rider914
QUOTE(framos914 @ Jul 22 2020, 01:28 PM) *

Last I heard from the guy on YouTube was that he was going to get his grandson to post a video and link it - That was yesterday... Nothing today. He seems to answer me there but be ignoring the others from here that are posting. Do you guys want me to try and ask him something specific?? I don't have anything or interest in this except for hoping that a teener gets saved.
framos914
Just like others here, this looks like an interesting project and would love to be involved in reviving a 6. Just seems odd that the seller has not provided any contact information, specially since it's been posted for a year. Might be one of those too good to be true stories.
I know I would be interested. Would also offer help if needed to whoever picks it up.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(Rider914 @ Jul 22 2020, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(framos914 @ Jul 22 2020, 01:28 PM) *

Last I heard from the guy on YouTube was that he was going to get his grandson to post a video and link it - That was yesterday... Nothing today. He seems to answer me there but be ignoring the others from here that are posting. Do you guys want me to try and ask him something specific?? I don't have anything or interest in this except for hoping that a teener gets saved.

I tried a few times and haven’t heard from seller either. I’m sure he got bombarded. Seems he’s not really interested in doing anything but craning out. Probably had many aborted attempts which is why he’s gun shy. The previous guy backing out for $4500 total? A difficult path for approval and retrieval Seems worth it for a real 6...

As for the City and HOA, I do that for a living, in fact I’m working on a residental project in Palm Springs right now. The City is very difficult for sure, but with the right knowhow, not impossible.

I’d love to take an honest shot at this - assuming the crane and the proper channels though the HOA and City. If anyone willing to share contact info (or pass along mine), I’d be much appreciative.
eric9144
When I bought my 6 the whole exchange was very weird, it turned out the seller had well over ~400 people contact him and I was (for what ever reason screwy.gif) the one he decided to talk to and I was able to seal the deal.

Patience @Rider914 but stay with it, you have to try to "lay hands on the car"--that's when everything changes, but then you also have to seal the deal.

All joking aside, I, as well as others, are totally willing to jump in and assist if we can to make this love connection happen. beerchug.gif
framos914
QUOTE(Rider914 @ Jul 20 2020, 05:45 AM) *

Are you Fernando on YouTube? If so I will back you up there with a comment to the guy.

I Think that was me that replied on YouTube, left my contact info but didn't hear back from seller
framos914
Did anybody get any feedback on this or did it turn out to be fake?
MartyYeoman
popcorn[1].gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
You're gonna have to pull a "Moses" move and part whatever is in front, lots of winching and chinese puzzle fun.
ctc911ctc
George,

That looks like a 4! Or the elusive moving passenger seat 914-6???

Grin

CTC911CTC

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 28 2020, 10:10 AM) *

Mikey914
No vent on top of dash
djway
Too much green to be that part of the desert.
burlybryan
White one in the background? Mystery pic is mysterious.
framos914
Where is that picture taken? There seems to be at least 4 914s in there.
The original post said the 914-6 was blocked in by trees (palm trees I believe) in the CA desert in Palm Springs.
Rikyrat
How about lifting it with a Helicopter?

If it is a true 6, then maybe it would be worth it...
SirAndy
Guys, please. Y'all should know by now that the image posted by George is most likely not the 914 in question.

This looks more like George's own graveyard.
dry.gif
Cairo94507
Exactly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.