Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2nd Gear - GRIND
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
All teeners.

1974 2.0 stock, 22K

I dropped the engine for the first time in the cars life, spent two days getting the grime off of the engine and the tranny. Still a long way to go to get it to look like Barefoot's engine and tranny.

Click to view attachment

I am thinking of fixing the 1st-to-2nd grind.

All of the gears work great

First is a bit harder to pull into gear than any other and when shifting from 1st to second you will get a grind if you do not pause a second for the sync ring to catchup with the selector.

Have been through the Evil videos, they are good but do I have to tear down the ENTIRE tranny?

QUESTION

SInce this will be my first tranny opening, all i want to do is fix the 1st to second transition. Any guidance from the experts here?

Also, the BIRD site is not very good - been there.

Thank you all teeners!

brant
you can replace that slider without full tear down
there is an article/thread on here somewhere

its a pricey part... I think 400 plus

76-914
I'd remove the gear stacks and check out all of the synchronizers, dog teeth and any chipped gears or metal fragments laying about. beerchug.gif
ctc911ctc
He talked about exchanging the 2nd/3rd slider with the 4th/5th in case of wear as well as turning the slider that is worn (the 2nd gear side) toward the 5th gear since there is less syncro pressure on 5th.

I will start this project tomorrow, will report as I progress.

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 20 2020, 09:45 AM) *

you can replace that slider without full tear down
there is an article/thread on here somewhere

its a pricey part... I think 400 plus

ctc911ctc
When I removed the gear oil there were no magnetic filings in the oil. So far so good.

Will report back

C

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 20 2020, 10:10 AM) *

I'd remove the gear stacks and check out all of the synchronizers, dog teeth, and any chipped gears or metal fragments laying about. beerchug.gif

ctc911ctc
Here is my first look at the gears

First and Reverse Selector

Click to view attachment

First Gear

Click to view attachment

Second Gear

Click to view attachment

Third Gear

Click to view attachment

Looks like I will need to replace 2nd gear and the sync rings. Not sure about the selector........

Thoughts?
brant
1st/reverse slider

you may want to do some research on replacing 2nd gear
its a matched set to the main shaft (which is fixed)
so that gear requires a full rebuild to replace

main shafts with stock 2nd ratio's are not pricey parts though
76-914
We'll see if the resident expert is available for comment. @Dr Evil
EDIT: Will someone fix my attempt at a notification. Can't get it correctly. I've underscored every way I can think of! TIA
fiacra
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 23 2020, 07:18 AM) *

EDIT: Will someone fix my attempt at a notification. Can't get it correctly. I've underscored every way I can think of! TIA

@Dr Evil
Dr Evil
Yo!

Ya, 1st and 2nd dog teeth are shot. You have to disassemble the stack to get to them. This will take special tools and you will need to realign the shift rods. The 1/R slider looks like you could get away with reusing it and driving correctly. The bands for 1 and 2 look flat and shiny. Cant tell about the slider for 2/3.

If you are not up to it, you can send me the stack and I can do it for you. Parts would be, at this time, two teeth, two bands, maybe 2/3 slider. However, when you get in there you may find one or more intermediate plate bearings are thrashed.
76-914
QUOTE(fiacra @ Jul 23 2020, 08:46 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 23 2020, 07:18 AM) *

@Dr Evil

Thx for the notification fiacra. What did you do that I didn't? confused24.gif Thx Dr Evil for the response.
ctc911ctc
D.E.

This is great, thank you for the reply. I have ordered the parts and will continue this journey. Just looking at the assembly is better than any art I have ever seen in a Museum.

CTC

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 23 2020, 11:05 AM) *

Yo!

Ya, 1st and 2nd dog teeth are shot. You have to disassemble the stack to get to them. This will take special tools and you will need to realign the shift rods. The 1/R slider looks like you could get away with reusing it and driving correctly. The bands for 1 and 2 look flat and shiny. Cant tell about the slider for 2/3.

If you are not up to it, you can send me the stack and I can do it for you. Parts would be, at this time, two teeth, two bands, maybe 2/3 slider. However, when you get in there you may find one or more intermediate plate bearings are thrashed.

Dr Evil
Take used parts and make art smile.gif
90quattrocoupe
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 25 2020, 07:59 AM) *

Take used parts and make art smile.gif

Very nice. I always think people that can see the art before they start, are geniuses. Nice talent. Nice works of art.

Greg W.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.