Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nipping Reverse while shifting from 1st to 2nd
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
Hi,

I have a 901 side shifter, replaced all of the bushings and conical screws re-adjusted the shifting positioning, and the car shifts pretty good though I still grind a little from 1st to 2nd.

I have the tranny out and am going to replace what needs to be replaced.

I have watched Dr. Evil's side shifter series of videos and now I am in a quandary, many people on this forum talk about Nipping Reverse while shifting from 1st to second. In the videos it seems that this is near impossible to do......am I missing something? confused24.gif

Do people just grind 2nd when getting aggressive and it sounds like you are hitting reverse???????

pray.gif Can one of the Teener-Masters please comment on my quandary? pray.gif
76-914
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Jul 20 2020, 06:45 PM) *

Hi,

I have a 901 side shifter, replaced all of the bushings and conical screws re-adjusted the shifting positioning, and the car shifts pretty good though I still grind a little from 1st to 2nd.

I have the tranny out and am going to replace what needs to be replaced.

I have watched Dr. Evil's side shifter series of videos and now I am in a quandary, many people on this forum talk about Nipping Reverse while shifting from 1st to second. In the videos it seems that this is near impossible to do......am I missing something? confused24.gif

Do people just grind 2nd when getting aggressive and it sounds like you are hitting reverse???????

pray.gif Can one of the Teener-Masters please comment on my quandary? pray.gif

If you are Ham Fisted and holding the shifter to the left when pushing it forward towards 2nd rather than letting the spring load pull it in the gate then yes. But you'd have to be day dreaming to do this, IMHO.
Steve
The rennshift has a beefier spring that will prevent this. You can also add washers to make the spring even more beefier.
Weltmeister used to have a heavy duty spring kit, but I don’t think they exist anymore.
DRPHIL914
right before my shift coupler bushing completely failed i had this happening, culprit was that bushing which shortly after this started completely fell apart. you dont have to get anything other than new bushings i will bet- replace the shift coupler bushing, firewall bushing and console bushing with the brass one from 94werke and i bet your shifting will be better than you ever imagined.... mine is
Steve
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jul 21 2020, 08:00 AM) *

right before my shift coupler bushing completely failed i had this happening, culprit was that bushing which shortly after this started completely fell apart. you dont have to get anything other than new bushings i will bet- replace the shift coupler bushing, firewall bushing and console bushing with the brass one from 94werke and i bet your shifting will be better than you ever imagined.... mine is

agree.gif Start there.
ctc911ctc
Thank you for the replies,

When I first drove the car the shifting was a mess.

Did the following:

1. FW bushing (914rubber)
2. Tranny coupler bushing
3. new conical screws (these took a bit of finesse to get really tight)
4. Lube
5. Door handle Shifter calibration.

I still had trouble.

My theory is that the bushings fail and then the gears are abused.

Here is my first look at the gears

First and Reverse Selector

Click to view attachment

First Gear

Click to view attachment

Second Gear

Click to view attachment

Third Gear

Click to view attachment

L:ooks like I will need to replace 2nd gear and the sync rings. Not sure about the selector........

Thoughts?
Rand
Just keep in mind what 76-14 said:
"If you are Ham Fisted and holding the shifter to the left when pushing it forward towards 2nd rather than letting the spring load pull it in the gate..."

Don't push, but guide. This isn't your modern transmission. Get the feel of making it shift if you can.

If that can't work, then spend money on mechanical (not before).

What manual cars are you used to shifting?
rhodyguy
No banging gears between 1&2. The 1/R detention plate acts as a guide going from 1 to 2nd. Into the neutral plane in the linkage and Let the shift lever ride against the plate. More often than not, the detention plates are worn, the levers are worn, the bottom side of the shifter is a mess with springs gunked up with lube and debris. Get rolling, ease into 2nd, cry havoc and let fly. I think the shifter itself is often overlooked when chasing shifting issues.
brant
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 22 2020, 07:14 AM) *

No banging gears between 1&2. The 1/R detention plate acts as a guide going from 1 to 2nd. Into the neutral plane in the linkage and Let the shift lever ride against the plate. More often than not, the detention plates are worn, the levers are worn, the bottom side of the shifter is a mess with springs gunked up with lube and debris. Get rolling, ease into 2nd, cry havoc and let fly. I think the shifter itself is often overlooked when chasing shifting issues.

agreed

I put new detent plates into all of my 914's
it helps

brant
ctc911ctc
Any opinions as to the state of the gears pictured?

76-914
2nd looks like some of the teeth are flattened at the peak. Maybe just the way my old eyes are seeing it. Those synchros are toast. Usually the synchros are worst on 2nd & 3rd and get better as you go towards 5th. Sometimes you can flip the synchros or change their order but nothing beats new ones. You'll need another tool to change the synchros out. They're expensive. If you can't find one locally to borrow pm me. beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
See remarks in your other thread. You are not wrong about bushing wearing and then other stuff.

Typical progression also follows cost of parts:
Bushings - $
Bands - $$
Teeth - $$$
Sliders - $$$$$

Somewhere in there bearings take a hit - $$$$$$$
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.