Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you get this pedal arm off?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nathanxnathan
I've seen some threads, but they just breeze through this like it's easy.

I had to drill the roll pin out. I've been soaking it with liquid wrench for days. I had it red hot with a propane torch. It seems like there's nothing to locate it in a press or to get ahold of it on the opposite side to keep it from spinning if I want to muscle it to spin it free. I resorted to trying to pound it out which made it worse, mushrooming it some. I'm getting frustrated. headbang.gif
Click to view attachment

PanelBilly
You send it to Bruce Stone and he sends you a completed assembly that's powder coated and ready to install.
rgalla9146

Put the short clutch arm in a vise and heat the shit out of the part in the picture.
The part in the vise doesn't have the ideal shape for a good grip.
Therefore.....heat the shit out of....and rotate while hot.
BeatNavy
Yeah, that thing is a total bear. I got mine out using a vice, a suitable drift (like a small socket), and a lot of PB and heat (as Rory says). I also used the handle of my floor jack on the vice to get a boat load more leverage.

Mine took several days before I managed to break it free in that manner. Total PITA.
bdstone914
QUOTE(nathanxnathan @ Jul 20 2020, 09:36 PM) *

I've seen some threads, but they just breeze through this like it's easy.

I had to drill the roll pin out. I've been soaking it with liquid wrench for days. I had it red hot with a propane torch. It seems like there's nothing to locate it in a press or to get ahold of it on the opposite side to keep it from spinning if I want to muscle it to spin it free. I resorted to trying to pound it out which made it worse, mushrooming it some. I'm getting frustrated. headbang.gif

'
You need a solid mounted vice. Spread the jaws to the width of the shaft diameter.
Place the shaft end into the gap in the vise.
Hit the other end of the shaft with a big hammer to push the shaft out farther. File down the mushroomed end.
Clamp the clutch arm end into the vise.
Use a big a adjustable wrench on the other end of the arm and twist back and forth.
Once it starts to move get a small pry bar under the lip of the arm and pry while you twist.
Or send it to me for a restored set.
Cairo94507
I did the math and figured a trip to the Emergency Room and the loss of work for a week or so was not worth it. I sent mine to Bruce and got my pedal set, restored beautifully, back from Bruce. I wanted my own set back just because I tried keep my Six as original as I could-given the changes I made. beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
And if you don't have torch, need bigger hammer, BIGGER vise, what ever penetrant, the above mentioned ER torture/co-pay and related pain and suffering. And the hope you don't come home sicker than a mangled hand. You pay for them all. It's like the assem from Bruce is free.
nathanxnathan
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 21 2020, 12:28 PM) *

You need a solid mounted vice. Spread the jaws to the width of the shaft diameter.
Place the shaft end into the gap in the vise.
Hit the other end of the shaft with a big hammer to push the shaft out farther. File down the mushroomed end.
Clamp the clutch arm end into the vise.
Use a big a adjustable wrench on the other end of the arm and twist back and forth.
Once it starts to move get a small pry bar under the lip of the arm and pry while you twist.
Or send it to me for a restored set.

This worked like a charm. No bloodshed even biggrin.gif

I hadn't thought to pound it the other way, but doing so provided the solidity to break it free. A few mighty blows and I was well on my way. Some filing to get the sides straight...

Click to view attachment

I just used the crescent wrench and the clutch arm and spun it off at that point, came off without even prying.

Click to view attachment

Much appreciation for the helpful tip smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.