Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Qs about fuel line replacemen in my '70, and potential PO shenanigans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
messick
I'm replacing my fuel lines since my car not only sat for 15 years, the tunnel lines were still plastic. However, after pulling them out, I'm not sure they are original, although they are definitely not metal.

Behold:

IPB Image

Everything I've read says the first third of the tunnel lines, coming from the tank, should be metal. These are definitely not like that, since the end I'm holding would be the metal part. Have these been replaced? It doesn't matter either way, since they are now in the trash, and some SS from Chris at Tangerine Racing are showing up today, but it would bee interesting to know. Although, I could not find the tunnel tabs people mention, is it possible these are "new" lines that bypass those tabs?

Also, every picture (but one I found on the bird site) I've found of the front trunk side of the lines shows a single rubber grommet with two holes for the two lines, on the tank side. I definitely do that not have that:

IPB Image

Someone on the bird site had the two holes, and someone (guessed?) the engine tin grommets would fit here. Is that the official part? I ordered extra firewall grommets from Chris in case those fit, but I'd like to get the correct part if possible.

One definite shenanigan not pictured: The engine compartment end of the 3/8" supply line was cut so it tapered to a point after ~4inches, just so it could be shoved into the a 5/16" line that would fit the fuel filter the PO happened to have on hand. Buying a new filter with 3/8" on each end was a bridge too far I guess.

Anyway, anyone know what grommets I should get for the gas tank side?

messick
I'm replacing my fuel lines since my car not only sat for 15 years, the tunnel lines were still plastic. However, after pulling them out, I'm not sure they are original, although they are definitely not metal.

Behold:

IPB Image

Everything I've read says the first third of the tunnel lines, coming from the tank, should be metal. These are definitely not like that, since the end I'm holding would be the metal part. Have these been replaced? It doesn't matter either way, since they are now in the trash, and some SS from Chris at Tangerine Racing are showing up today, but it would bee interesting to know. Although, I could not find the tunnel tabs people mention, is it possible these are "new" lines that bypass those tabs?

Also, every picture (but one I found on the bird site) I've found of the front trunk side of the lines shows a single rubber grommet with two holes for the two lines, on the tank side. I definitely do that not have that:

Note: In this picture I've already taken out one line and pulled the other one a foot so out the back.

IPB Image

Someone on the bird site had the two holes, and someone (guessed?) the engine tin grommets would fit here. Is that the official part? I ordered extra firewall grommets from Chris in case those fit, but I'd like to get the correct part if possible.

One definite shenanigan not pictured: The engine compartment end of the 3/8" supply line was cut so it tapered to a point after ~4inches, just so it could be shoved into the a 5/16" line that would fit the fuel filter the PO happened to have on hand. Buying a new filter with 3/8" on each end was a bridge too far I guess.

Anyway, anyone know what grommets I should get for the gas tank side?
BillC
IIRC, the early cars had two separate holes, like your car. I believe the engine compartment grommets are the correct parts. The big two-hole rubber grommet didn't come until later.

It's also possible that the early cars had all-plastic lines and the ones with the metal front ends didn't show up until later (both of my '73s had the metal-fronted lines).

However, the condition and color of your plastic lines look exactly like the ones I took out of both of my cars. If I had to guess, I would guess that your lines are original.
mepstein
Early cars are all plastic. I'm 100% sure.
Cairo94507
I believe those are original too. Installing the SS lines from Tangerine Racing is a smart move. beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 21 2020, 05:37 PM) *

I believe those are original too. Installing the SS lines from Tangerine Racing is a smart move. beerchug.gif

agree.gif the plastic doesn't improve with age. I have't seen a burnt 914 in person, just two 911's and a vw bug.
Spoke

agree.gif

My '71 had all plastic fuel lines too. Replaced them with Tangerine Racing SS lines. After removing the plastic lines, I thought I would stress them by bending, creasing them to see how brittle. They turned out to be quite flexible as I couldn't get them to crack even after folding them. Still feel much better about getting the plastic out and SS lines in.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 22 2020, 08:44 AM) *

agree.gif

My '71 had all plastic fuel lines too. Replaced them with Tangerine Racing SS lines. After removing the plastic lines, I thought I would stress them by bending, creasing them to see how brittle. They turned out to be quite flexible as I couldn't get them to crack even after folding them. Still feel much better about getting the plastic out and SS lines in.

Try the section in the engine compartment. Those are brittle after 50 years.
messick
Thanks all.

While I haven't (yet) found any super egregious PO shenanigans in my six conversion, I'm trying to be thorough when I find something that seems different than what might have come in the original car, just in case the changes are a disaster waiting to happen.

That said: How much do I need to worry about using the tunnel tabs? I moved the shift console, and I've removed the carpet around the rear tunnel access hole (is there supposed to be plate over it?), and all I need to do is remove the screws off the front panel. Looking around, I see no tabs. Also, pulled out the original lines without messing with any tabs. If I can put in the SS lines tonight without messing with tabs, should I call it a day? If I really need to use the tabs, does someone have a picture/video that shows exactly where the tabs are? I've looked at a million posts one this forum, and even that tunnel article on the bird site, and I have yet to see what I should be looking for, or where exactly I should look for it.

mepstein
I forgot about the tabs when I did my 1st car. The grommets hold the ends securely and I never heard a rattle or squeak.
I have a couple 914's now. They all get Tangerine ss lines.

My lines were ok in the tunnel but trash on the ends. I'm 100% happy I replaced them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.