Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wanted: Broken speedometer cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
billh1963
Well, the bad thing about giving away your parts cars is you always wind up needing a part.

I have multiple spare 914 gauges that I want to test. To test the speedometers I need the piece of cable that goes into the back of the gauge. I need a piece long enough to go into a drill. I have several new cables but don't want to destroy one just for the tip. If there is an easier way to test I would love to hear about other options smile.gif

Also...does the speedo cable turn CW or CCW? I don't want to run the drill the wrong way and potentially break the speedometer.

If anyone has one please let me know.

Thank you
bdstone914
They turn CCW.
I may have a piece from a Saab tool kit that works. They do have square bits in the 1/4 inch hex bit drivers.
carl k
Click to view attachment

I have a couple of the short cables from the EGR counter to the speedometer, used on the '75/'76 CA cars. Yours for price of shipping.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...18&t=344368

regards,
Carl
Al Meredith
I think I have used the short cable used to reset the trip setting .
euro911
Same here ... and yes CCW
theer
Probably obvious to most, but I have a stupid question (and I have a broken speedo)... Is it CCW looking at it from the back of the gauge or from the front.
porschetub
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Jul 23 2020, 03:27 AM) *

agree.gif that's what I did.
bdstone914
@theer

' date='Jul 22 2020, 12:54 PM' post='2836194']
Probably obvious to most, but I have a stupid question (and I have a broken speedo)... Is it CCW looking at it from the back of the gauge or from the front.
[/quote]

From the rear of the gauge.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 22 2020, 03:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Jul 23 2020, 03:27 AM) *

agree.gif that's what I did.

agree.gif Just use a trip reset cable. I have tested 100s of speedos using it. Fits in the opening for the regular speedometer cable. As Bruce said run CCW (drill in reverse)
billh1963
Carl has me covered. Thank you to everyone who responded!

billh1963
[quote name='bdstone914' date='Jul 22 2020, 07:46 PM' post='2836239']
@theer

' date='Jul 22 2020, 12:54 PM' post='2836194']
[/quote]

From the rear of the gauge.
[/quote]

I found some old posts that say to run the drill in the direction the needle would move. So, as Bruce and euro say, in this case run the drill in reverse (CCW) when facing the rear of the gauge.
theer
Run the drill in reverse - got it! Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.