Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EXTRA Oil Cooler on a 4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RFoulds
My 2056 race engine currently has the stock oil cooler in place, and a rear mounted oil cooler with fans that picks up from the oil filter housing. an adaptor on the oil filter allows the oil to circulate to and from cooler pretty well.
I have not had overheating problems. Willow Springs on a warm day, oil temp got to 210. But, if I do an enduro, I think this system might not cool enough.

Question is, who has a front mount oil cooler on a 4? Did you retain the stock oil cooler, or did you use the stock cooler in and out for the new hose connections?
thelogo
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jul 22 2020, 09:41 AM) *

My 2056 race engine currently has the stock oil cooler in place, and a rear mounted oil cooler with fans that picks up from the oil filter housing. an adaptor on the oil filter allows the oil to circulate to and from cooler pretty well.
I have not had overheating problems. Willow Springs on a warm day, oil temp got to 210. But, if I do an enduro, I think this system might not cool enough.

Question is, who has a front mount oil cooler on a 4? Did you retain the stock oil cooler, or did you use the stock cooler in and out for the new hose connections?

You may not need the front . but i totally think its the way to go . im running the 2336/4 with the under the trunk cooler/fan thats much more of a street setup .dont have a temp gauge so i assume it works good enough as the fan rarely needs to come on
If i for 1 second was gonna push the motor .
( try to hang with the /6 crowd)

id feel way more sucure having it up front . and a digital oil / head temp is almost madatory at that point

Shout out to the cheap sob
brant
I've put 3 different front coolers into 4cylinder race cars

this was the 1980's - 2000 era
we always used the filter plate adapter with AN-12

I have not used the CFR block off to remove the stock cooler with direct feed

I have heard wonderful things
and a friend with this set up, cured his problem

it will cost more, but is ultimately the best set up
you may not need it, as the filter adapter had worked well in my instance

brant
wes
I have a 2056 stroker that’s running the front oil cooler with the oil filter adapter. On cooler days before the front cooler she’d run at 200 - 210 on flat street normal driving. At approximately 70 outside air temp and aggressive hill climb I found it impossible to keep the temp down in any gear combo to the point I stopped to let her cool down then carefully driving home. With the front cooler I’m now fine with the exception of the mix of hot air temps in stop and go freeway traffic so now in process of adding a fan to the cooler $$ but should keep me safe in all conditions.
thelogo
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 22 2020, 10:27 AM) *

I've put 3 different front coolers into 4cylinder race cars

this was the 1980's - 2000 era
we always used the filter plate adapter with AN-12

I have not used the CFR block off to remove the stock cooler with direct feed

I have heard wonderful things
and a friend with this set up, cured his problem

it will cost more, but is ultimately the best set up
you may not need it, as the filter adapter had worked well in my instance

brant

I dig the signature flag.gif

Instagram... : notarealporscheah
RFoulds
Thanks guys for the input. I am going to stay with the filter adaptor for now, and move cooler up front.
brant
make sure you use a high volume oil pump...
you probably have one already
but the front run will need it

brant
wndsrfr
On my 2316 Raby with "full flow" oil routing I've got a huge Fluidyne ex NASCAR unit that I lucked into. Exit holes are the 4 inch holes in bottom of frunk and I cut two 4 inch holes through which exit to steering rack cavity--here's a few pics.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
RFoulds
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jul 22 2020, 02:08 PM) *

On my 2316 Raby with "full flow" oil routing I've got a huge Fluidyne ex NASCAR unit that I lucked into. Exit holes are the 4 inch holes in bottom of frunk and I cut two 4 inch holes through which exit to steering rack cavity--here's a few pics.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

ive seen a few with no shroud. as long as air flows, I guess. what else you got going on there? what is th0e gooseneck bottle?
dirk2056
What oil pump are you using ??
wndsrfr
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jul 22 2020, 01:53 PM) *

ive seen a few with no shroud. as long as air flows, I guess. what else you got going on there? what is th0e gooseneck bottle?

That's a windshield washer reservoir/pump....don't know where the PO got it...nice to have tho....
Ya, the install isn't intended to be pretty but really helped with oil temps on track DE events....thermostat is back near the engine.
Oil pump is high volume "full flow" setup over to remote filter base & using WIX 51515R racing filter good for 100psi.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.