Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front calipers won’t fit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wbgoggans
I’m in the final stages of getting my 914 barnfind back on the road for the first time in 20
Years. Unfortunately I’m a bit hung up on wheel bearings/ rotors/ e21 front brake conversion. How much space should there between the rotor and the spot where the callers mount on spindle and the rotor? It’s almost like the ears/ caliper mounting bracket is bent back too far keeping the caliper from fitting over the rotor. Neither the stock or original calipers will fit. Could not properly installing the brake rotors keep the rotor from properly sliding all the way on the spindle? Sorry if these are stupid questions as I’m 18 and this is my first big project. I plan on posting a few pics of the project.
IronHillRestorations
You've got to get the mounting surface of the caliper milled off, I think it's .125 that's got to come off
Superhawk996
QUOTE(wbgoggans @ Jul 24 2020, 04:47 AM) *

Neither the stock or original calipers will fit. Could not properly installing the brake rotors keep the rotor from properly sliding all the way on the spindle? Sorry if these are stupid questions as I’m 18 and this is my first big project. I plan on posting a few pics of the project.

1st thing that whould be addressed is why won't the stock calipers fit.

There are early model calipers and late model calipers. Same for rotors. If things won't fit properly with stock parts, you may have mismatched components. Sort that out 1st.

2nd thing is you mention installing e21 calipers. I'd question why you feel that you need to upgrade the brakes. The stock 914 brakes are great brakes for street use. They can be driven very hard without ever encountering fade or braking issues during road use. If you're gettting fade driving that hard on the street, its time to move the fun to an autocross or track environment.

The compelling reason to upgrade the brakes is if the vehicle has chaged substantially (V8 engine & added weight, High HP, racing use, etc.) The 914 brakes look small but this is a 2000 lb car. Brakes cannot be judged by size alone.

Read this link before you assume you need bigger brakes and get distracted by a brake upgrade project.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=55559

As an new 18 year old 914 owner, I'd like to say welcome.png. Having bought my first 914 just before my 20th birthday back in the 80's I can relate to where you are at though I'm much older now. Before you go crazy with big things like brake upgrades, my advice would be to just start small. Get the car back on the road. Drive it for a while. Then decide what (if anything) needs to be upgraded before you jump in whole hog on the front end of the project.
sholman5
What year is the car. 70 thru partial 72 had the same rotors. They changed them in 72 at specific vin number and later to the later model part number. I see that you have new rotors maybe that is the problem.
IronHillRestorations
He said in his post he's got E21 calipers. They'll bolt up to an early 914 front strut, but to fit a later strut they have to be machined.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jul 24 2020, 04:56 PM) *

He said in his post he's got E21 calipers. They'll bolt up to an early 914 front strut, but to fit a later strut they have to be machined.

I got hung up on the part where he mentioned the stock calipers won't fit either. confused24.gif

Either way, sure you can mill or shim to fit a particular rotor combo but something doesn't smell right from the get go if his stock brakes wont fit either.

I'm thinking of all sorts of edge cases like bearing race not fully seated in front rotor, old bearing race left on spindle, and other things that could also prevent a stock rotor and stock caliper from fitting properly. Before I mill calipers to fit a rotor, I'd want to know something else is jacked up.

Certainly not questioning your advice that the E21 calipers would need mill work though.
lierofox
QUOTE(sholman5 @ Jul 24 2020, 01:48 PM) *

What year is the car. 70 thru partial 72 had the same rotors. They changed them in 72 at specific vin number and later to the later model part number. I see that you have new rotors maybe that is the problem.

You're thinking the problem may be that they have Early Calipers, Early Strut, but accidentally bought a brand new Late Rotor?
sholman5
QUOTE(lierofox @ Jul 24 2020, 06:05 PM) *

QUOTE(sholman5 @ Jul 24 2020, 01:48 PM) *

You're thinking the problem may be that they have Early Calipers, Early Strut, but accidentally bought a brand new Late Rotor?

Correct alot of listed rotors on the web say 70-76. Not true
sholman5
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jul 24 2020, 04:56 PM) *

That could be true, but if he bought late rotors for an early strut the e21 or his old calipers still would not fit.
bdstone914
@wbgoggans

1. What year is the car? They change in 72 at VIN 019033.

2. What rotors did you buy? The offset is different on the late and early rotors.

If you have the right rotors ( did you compare the old and new rotors? ) the BMW calipers will bolt to the strut. If you have a late car the rotors do need .125" machined off the pad.
From the picture I would say you got the wrong rotors.

Bruce
IronHillRestorations
To ID your struts, the early style have a pinch bolt, and the later have a wedge pin bolt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.