Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wiper blade control arm detachment-can anyone provide pictures of how the mechanism connects
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
this happened a few weeks ago and i have not driven the car since,
but the lever arm thingy that goes from the left to the right apparently became detached at the passenger side up under the cowl. I cant see it clearly or get my hand in there so it looks like i will have to remove the expansion tank to reach it and reattach it, but what am i dealing with regarding the attachment point? is it a nut that came off ? apicture if anyone has one handy would help me to know what i am up against and what it will entail fixing it.

Thanks.

Phil
BPic
See photos. The first one is from the bottom. Second is from the top and there appears to be only one nut and it is on the motor. The rest of the connections are fixed.

Hope this helps.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
^^^^I agree. Except for the first arm off the motor the arms are not detachable.

Are you sure it's not a loose arm on the windshield ?
Mikey914
It's usually the nut on the blade assembly that is not tight enough if only one moves
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 24 2020, 12:20 PM) *

^^^^I agree. Except for the first arm off the motor the arms are not detachable.

Are you sure it's not a loose arm on the windshield ?
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 24 2020, 12:34 PM) *

It's usually the nut on the blade assembly that is not tight enough if only one moves

possible but i dont think so since i can hear a clunk clunk underneath as the arm is dragging across under there. i will double check tonight but either that one nut came off under there or i have a broken off mechanism and thats not good news. but i certainly can just take the blades off and just use rain-x and almost never drive in the rain.
- sucks since those were new outer blade assembly this year.
headbang.gif i hope i can remove this all without having to remove tank etc just expansion tank, ....
ClayPerrine
If the arm for one side has come adrift, you will need a new wiper rack. The arms are not supposed to be removable.

Clay
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 24 2020, 02:18 PM) *

If the arm for one side has come adrift, you will need a new wiper rack. The arms are not supposed to be removable.

Clay

i got a closer look at this and it is the small short bracket on the passenger side arm mechanism that has come off, so that does not look like a bolt but like a rivet or somethng that as you said is not supposed to come apart, i will try and get a pic i tried with my b.t. scope but it would not sink with my phone last night so i couldnt download the image of the mechanism but this looks like i will have to pull the expansion tank and maybe even the whole freaking tank and the air box to get at it, is that true? has anyone done this with out pulling the tank and air box?

oh and so does anyone have one of these in tip top shape? if i am pulling this i am puttingback a fully restored and cleaned one, might even have it plated, is that possible?

anyway i am now in search of a replacement. ....

@brucestone
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(BPic @ Jul 24 2020, 11:26 AM) *

See photos. The first one is from the bottom. Second is from the top and there appears to be only one nut and it is on the motor. The rest of the connections are fixed.

Hope this helps.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

@BPic thanks that did help some and getting a peak under my cowl i see one of the passenger side arm came loose, not a bold i dont think but a pressed in connector with some type of bushing, if you have that out could you take a couple close up pictures of the right side(passenger) arms/hinges/etc. ?

Thanks
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jul 28 2020, 07:14 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 24 2020, 02:18 PM) *

Clay

i got a closer look at this and it is the small short bracket on the passenger side arm mechanism that has come off, so that does not look like a bolt but like a rivet or somethng that as you said is not supposed to come apart, i will try and get a pic i tried with my b.t. scope but it would not sink with my phone last night so i couldnt download the image of the mechanism but this looks like i will have to pull the expansion tank and maybe even the whole freaking tank and the air box to get at it, is that true? has anyone done this with out pulling the tank and air box?

oh and so does anyone have one of these in tip top shape? if i am pulling this i am puttingback a fully restored and cleaned one, might even have it plated, is that possible?

anyway i am now in search of a replacement. ....

@brucestone

Yes, you have to pull the gas tank and the whole fresh air blower to replace the wiper rack. I am the king of finding work arounds , but with this there is no way around it.

Good luck.

Clay

bdstone914
@DRPHIL914

Yes i have many wiper racks .let me dig into them and find the best one
bdstone914
@DRPHIL914

I have a bunch of them.
Let me find a good one for you.
If you have not replaced it get a new rubber mount with the studs that goes thru the firewall.
Big job to replace the assembly.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 28 2020, 09:13 AM) *

@DRPHIL914

I have a bunch of them.
If you have not replaced it get a new rubber mount with the studs that goes thru the firewall.

dry.gif ugh thats what i thought, thanks bruce and clay. well that will be a fun summer project while it is too hot to drive the car.

Bruce, let me know when you find a nice one, - do you think if you take the motor off that the whole mechanism can be re zinc plated? maybe not necessary if its really clean , let me know.

Phil
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jul 28 2020, 08:17 AM) *

@DRPHIL914

I have a bunch of them.

dry.gif ugh thats what i thought, thanks bruce and clay. well that will be a fun summer project while it is too hot to drive the car.

Bruce, let me know when you find a nice one, - do you think if you take the motor off that the whole mechanism can be re zinc plated? maybe not necessary if its really clean , let me know.

Phil

You can take the arm mechanism out of the frame and use the one you have. Knowing you, it probably looks beautiful.

I also have wiper racks too. Plus, with a little patience, you can use the 911 wiper rack and motor. That way you get a 3 speed wiper. The bigger motor on the 911 wiper assembly requires a support brace that is not on the 914 rack.

Clay
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 28 2020, 09:30 AM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jul 28 2020, 08:17 AM) *

@DRPHIL914

I have a bunch of them.

Phil

You can take the arm mechanism out of the frame and use the one you have. Knowing you, it probably looks beautiful.

I also have wiper racks too. Plus, with a little patience, you can use the 911 wiper rack and motor. That way you get a 3 speed wiper. The bigger motor on the 911 wiper assembly requires a support brace that is not on the 914 rack.

Clay

hm interesting thought, 3 speed would be nice i guess, .
i suppose its pretty clean, i had it out for paint 2 years ago and when it went back in i put the new seals in place, but didnt really pay close attention to the rack and all of the mechanism there at the time. it seemed fine, it was pretty clean, i did detail it lol, but now i wish i had really gone over it with a more descerning eye. oh well its one of those things you kind of think thats ok i dont have to replace something that was working just fine, but not really true. how hard is it to put in the 911 one and the necessary bracing?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jul 28 2020, 10:27 AM) *

Clay

i suppose its pretty clean, i had it out for paint 2 years ago and when it went back in i put the new seals in place, but didnt really pay close attention to the rack and all of the mechanism there at the time. it seemed fine, it was pretty clean, i did detail it lol, but now i wish i had really gone over it with a more descerning eye. oh well its one of those things you kind of think thats ok i dont have to replace something that was working just fine, but not really true. how hard is it to put in the 911 one and the necessary bracing?

The 911 wiper mechanism is about an inch taller than the 914 one. To make it fit, you have to take the wiper arm assembly from the 914 and fit it to the 911 frame.

To do that, you have to shorten the tubes on the 911 frame so they are the same length as the 914 tubes. I used a tubing cutter and some patience to get a clean cut.

Once the tubes have been shortened, you fit the 914 parts into the 911 frame, and use the 911 motor. It will all bolt together.

I guess I need to get another 911 wiper setup and write a how to guide for this mod.

Clay
Mikey914
Stoddard has a 911 wiper rebuild kit too.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 28 2020, 04:30 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jul 28 2020, 10:27 AM) *

Clay

The 911 wiper mechanism is about an inch taller than the 914 one. To make it fit, you have to take the wiper arm assembly from the 914 and fit it to the 911 frame.

To do that, you have to shorten the tubes on the 911 frame so they are the same length as the 914 tubes. I used a tubing cutter and some patience to get a clean cut.

Once the tubes have been shortened, you fit the 914 parts into the 911 frame, and use the 911 motor. It will all bolt together.

I guess I need to get another 911 wiper setup and write a how to guide for this mod.

Clay
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 28 2020, 11:51 PM) *

Stoddard has a 911 wiper rebuild kit too.

thought i would update this , i have been contemplating how to approach this,
as i finally got a good look to see exactly what came apart.
What i found is that the bracket arm that is attached to the back of the passenger side wiper shaft came off. Its not bolted on but pressed on. so by taking off the expansion tank it can be reached, and slid back on but will not hold without some way to resecure it. if i pulled out the whole mechanism i could probably get it to stay on by either using some kind of JBweld or even just hammering the back side, the rectangular tab that sticks thru , which originally was just pressed on it appear could be refastened. Could i do this without even pulling the whole unit? the rest of the bushings and pivots are just fine and clean. any thoughts? worst case is if the JBWeld doesnt hold and it falls back off i then go the long route and pull the whole tank air bos and the wiper mechanism and install the good spare i got from another member(thanks @almeredith ), but kind of trying not to dive in that deep.
Phil
Cairo94507
DrPhil914 - That sucks. As we know, the wiper assembly is one of the first components to get installed when putting the frunk back together. I feel for you. But, were it me, I would go ahead and pull the tank and blower assembly and put in a nicely restored wiper mechanism and probably do the 3-speed conversion at that time. Then you will never have to mess with it again. I am not certain, but that might mean changing the column switch too? beerchug.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 7 2020, 10:07 AM) *

DrPhil914 - That sucks. As we know, the wiper assembly is one of the first components to get installed when putting the frunk back together. I feel for you. But, were it me, I would go ahead and pull the tank and blower assembly and put in a nicely restored wiper mechanism and probably do the 3-speed conversion at that time. Then you will never have to mess with it again. I am not certain, but that might mean changing the column switch too? beerchug.gif

yea, that switch i think would need to be changed, lots to think about since i need to convert to different washer pump, Englebert from CarmagicLLC makes a switch that can be put in the stock location for the squirter mechanism and work with the stock wiper mechanism. so that and the new turn signal lever switch i signed up to get from 914sixer could all be done at the same time too, AND while in there... finally cure my fresh air blower controler replacement too...
DRPHIL914
sorry deleted due to duplicate post-----

but here is the link to the switch he has available.

http://carmagic.us/washer.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.