Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1976 Fog Light Wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toadman
I would like to get the fog lights working on my 1976 914 and would appreciate any help from the community. Car had AC but that was removed before I got it. All other lights work fine and car runs well.

This is probably a simple job for most people but I struggle with wiring diagrams and I am color blind to a degree.

Anyway, I have two rectangular fog lights in my bumper. The two wires for each fog light, one solid blue and one black/blue stripe, enter the luggage compartment through the front bulkhead. These are only a few inches long and not connected to anything. Which is power and which is ground?

Next, the wiring harness has several unconnected wires. I am sure some of them went to the AC components (now gone) and this is where things get confusing. I have two single brown wires, one single white/yellow stripe wire, one dual white/yellow wire, one dual brown wire and one dual black/red stripe wire. Pic of the front left portion of the luggage compartment is attached.

If I am reading the wiring diagram in my Haynes manual correctly, each of the single brown wires is "hot" and these are the ones I should use to power the lights. Is that right?

Where do the ground wires from each light go? The Haynes manual says these are white/yellow wires. Should they ground to the body? Should they be connected to one another and then to the single white/yellow or to the dual white/yellow connector on the wire bundle?

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you!Click to view attachment
Spoke
Solid brown wire color in the Porsche world is normally ground. Brown is ground in your harness. The White/Yellow wires are power. The power comes from the foglight relay mounted on top of the fuse panel.

The connector with 2 white/yellow wires is for the driver side. One wire comes from the relay and the other wire goes to the passenger side.

The foglights come on only when the low beams are on. Any testing must be done with the headlights on low beam and the high beams must be present and working for the foglights to come on.
oakdalecurtis
My suggestion would be to wire your fog lights through the original fog light switch or an illuminated toggle switch installed in your dash, using a new relay completely independent of your headlight system. That way you can use your foglights whenever you want without having your headlights on or up, or on low beams only. With this setup, I use my foglights as Daytime Running Lights whenever I choose to.
toadman
Thank you Spoke and Oakdalecurtis for your responses.
barefoot
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 26 2020, 12:32 PM) *

My suggestion would be to wire your fog lights through the original fog light switch or an illuminated toggle switch installed in your dash, using a new relay completely independent of your headlight system. That way you can use your foglights whenever you want without having your headlights on or up, or on low beams only. With this setup, I use my foglights as Daytime Running Lights whenever I choose to.

Here's a wiring workaround to make fog lights independent of headlight switch while keeping your foglight switch:

Click to view attachment

There's another simple workaround but have to have the headlights on either lo or hi, but can't find in now, anyone have the wiring diagram ??
anthwp
QUOTE(barefoot @ Jul 27 2020, 05:23 PM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jul 26 2020, 12:32 PM) *

Here's a wiring workaround to make fog lights independent of headlight switch while keeping your foglight switch:

Click to view attachment

There's another simple workaround but have to have the headlights on either lo or hi, but can't find in now, anyone have the wiring diagram ??

This is something ?I saved from a different post from member Demick:

For all other years, the modification is simple: 1. Disconnect the negative side of the battery. 2. Remove the fuse cover and remove the screws which hold the fuse block in place - pull down the fuse block and let it hang. 3. Find the white wire w/blue stripe going to the #1 fuse. This wire is coming from the the #85 terminal on the fog light relay (round black relay located on the far left side of the fuse block). This wire is probably joined together with other wires into a single spade connector. Be sure you have the correct wire - now carefully cut the wire as close to the end (spade connector) as possible leaving no part of the wire exposed (the part of the wire still attached to the spade connector will short out your electrical system if it is exposed and able to touch any other metal). Now you need to permanently ground this white/blue striped wire. You will notice that there is a ground connection located at the upper left side of the fuse block mount with a bunch of other brown wires held down by a 13mm nut. You may need to splice in a few inches if additional wire to reach this ground point. Crimp a solderless terminal which will fit over the ground stud onto the wire, and fasten it to the ground connection with the other wires. Now put the fuse block back in place, and hook up your battery. Your fog lights should now work with the high beams!

Over the next week or so, I'll try and write up the instructions for allowing your fog lights to turn on either anytime, or in conjunctinon with your running (parking) lights rather than only with the headlights. Instructions will cover all years (actually, '70 and '71 cars come from the factory with fog lights that can be turned on with the running lights), as each year is slightly different. When I get it all written up, I'll post a link in this forum.

Demick

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.