Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help identifying body work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drewdude914
Hi, first time poster here, was hoping you all could help me out.

I looked at a 914 shell today (asking $700). It's in very fair shape and has probably been repainted as there is what looks like a pretty crappy weld line behind the seats (see first link). Can someone confirm that this is a fix? I guess below the weld line was rusted? its hard to tell exactly how much steel was replaced. The rest or the car looks OK.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/teow1t8hq803f8r/...VGHihT0Tma?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3xunird9cnvacn9/...Eimz9hOFZa?dl=0
jaredmcginness
That’s an odd line of seam sealer... If it goes all the way across, my only thought is that the fire wall was replaced, either for damage or later seat belt receivers? What year is it?

It wouldn’t stop me from buying a shell for $700 if it’s needed. But I’m not a perfectionist.
bkrantz
That curving horizontal seam behind the seats is stock. That's where the upper firewall joins the lower section, and corresponds to the engine shelf on the other side. The splattering is not welding--that is the factory spray-on seam sealer.
drewdude914
Thanks guys!

Googling for “firewall” finally led to pictures of the area and the seam is indeed original.
Hmm, might have to buy it now.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 25 2020, 10:47 PM) *

That curving horizontal seam behind the seats is stock. That's where the upper firewall joins the lower section, and corresponds to the engine shelf on the other side. The splattering is not welding--that is the factory spray-on seam sealer.

^^^^^ Agree
mlindner
QUOTE(drewdude914 @ Jul 25 2020, 10:27 PM) *

Thanks guys!

Googling for “firewall” finally led to pictures of the area and the seam is indeed original.
Hmm, might have to buy it now.

Looks pretty good, can you take pictures of the longs.....
Cairo94507
welcome.png That looks like a pretty good chassis to start with. What is your plan for the car? Stock 1.7, 2.0, 6 cylinder conversion? Regardless, you are starting off ahead of the curve with that chassis. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.