Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 71 1.7 won’t start...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tbone425
So I’m trying to track down a no start issue with my 71, all oem FI. I’m getting spark, I can hear the fuel pump and see fuel going through the filter, tried swapping out the FI and fuel pump relays..... will pull an injector tomorrow to see if its spraying. Any other ideas from the council of elders? lol
BeatNavy
Was it running previously and what have you tried? Are you getting it to fire at all or is it making no attempt?

You’re on the right track to see if injectors are firing and squirting fuel. How about spark? That’s easy enough to test. Then it’s really verifying rough timing and if you’re getting too much or too little fuel.
Tbone425
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jul 26 2020, 04:59 AM) *

Was it running previously and what have you tried? Are you getting it to fire at all or is it making no attempt?

You’re on the right track to see if injectors are firing and squirting fuel. How about spark? That’s easy enough to test. Then it’s really verifying rough timing and if you’re getting too much or too little fuel.

It has spark, no sputtering or trying to start. It just cranks. It had a leaking fuel line. So I replaced the Lines with tangerine stainless ones.. before the replacement it was hard to get running but would sputter. Now nothing. Does the fuel system need to be primed on these? Should the fuel filter have air in it? It is clearly pulling fuel through, but the high side has air.

Thanks!
second wind
Is the spark really strong or just a weak yellow? My plugs showed spark but a weak one which threw me off for weeks. The minute I put a new coil in it started right up. Just an idea....
gg
Tbone425
QUOTE(second wind @ Jul 26 2020, 11:05 AM) *

Is the spark really strong or just a weak yellow? My plugs showed spark but a weak one which threw me off for weeks. The minute I put a new coil in it started right up. Just an idea....
gg

Show strong, but I have a could for my 911 that I can try..... will make sure it’s the same.
BillC
Just a wild guess, but check the lines, and make sure you hooked them up the right way. If you got the feed line and the return line reversed, you won't get enough fuel pressure because the regulator will be on the wrong side.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(BillC @ Jul 26 2020, 03:28 PM) *

Just a wild guess, but check the lines, and make sure you hooked them up the right way. If you got the feed line and the return line reversed, you won't get enough fuel pressure because the regulator will be on the wrong side.

Yup, always a possibility when working on fuel lines blink.gif
Tbone425
QUOTE(BillC @ Jul 26 2020, 12:28 PM) *

Hmmmmm. Sounds like someone knows how I work lol.... thanks I’ll check again. I would do see flow in from the tank to the filter though would I?
Tbone425
It’s getting gas, I can smell it in the exhaust..... I’m dumb(founded)
plas76targa
QUOTE(Tbone425 @ Jul 26 2020, 03:46 PM) *

[MATT]
Try a different relay board? And clean all grounds’.
Tbone425
QUOTE(plas76targa @ Jul 26 2020, 05:15 PM) *

[MATT]

Might have to... but if I’m getting gas and spark there should be something happening. Even if it’s just a sputter here and there. It turn over fine but zero attempts to fire.
Tbone425
QUOTE(Tbone425 @ Jul 26 2020, 05:44 PM) *

QUOTE(plas76targa @ Jul 26 2020, 05:15 PM) *

[MATT]

Might have to... but if I’m getting gas and spark there should be something happening. Even if it’s just a sputter here and there. It turn over fine but zero attempts to fire.

I mean what could it be other than firing incorrectly? I don’t recalll taking the cap off when I did the lines... but maybe I’ll check that as well.
theer
Someone mentioned timing- did you verify rough static timing?

Otherwise, compression test?
ctc911ctc
First and Foremost - if it was running and just Stopped Running then it is Fuel. With D-Jet test the fuel pressure - should be around 29PSI.

Degradation in operation indicates a large variety of other things that can go wrong (the 914 list is endless)

So please let us know how it was running prior to the new lines. Not sure what you meant with 'the high side has air'

Sudden failure is either Spark Loss or Fuel Loss. Try: New Fuel Pump, hoses and clamps....

UNLESS

When the Stainless lines were installed if some fuel got past the filter, there may be clogged injectors?
Tbone425
QUOTE(theer @ Jul 26 2020, 06:17 PM) *

Someone mentioned timing- did you verify rough static timing?

Otherwise, compression test?

Compression was fine. What is the procedure for setting the rough static timing?
Tbone425
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Jul 26 2020, 06:49 PM) *

First and Foremost - if it was running and just Stopped Running then it is Fuel. With D-Jet test the fuel pressure - should be around 29PSI.

Degradation in operation indicates a large variety of other things that can go wrong (the 914 list is endless)

So please let us know how it was running prior to the new lines. Not sure what you meant with 'the high side has air'

Sudden failure is either Spark Loss or Fuel Loss. Try: New Fuel Pump, hoses and clamps....

UNLESS

When the Stainless lines were installed if some fuel got past the filter, there may be clogged injectors?

It was sputtering a bit when it last ran... that, I assumed, was do you the massive fuel leak. By high side I mean there is an air pocket on the top 1/3 of the filter. It still gets fuel through, but I was unsure if it should be airless.
ctc911ctc
Check the Fuel Pressure at the junction AFTER the regulator , this should tell us something.

popcorn[1].gif

QUOTE(Tbone425 @ Jul 26 2020, 09:44 PM) *

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Jul 26 2020, 06:49 PM) *

UNLESS

It was sputtering a bit when it last ran... that, I assumed, was do you the massive fuel leak. By high side I mean there is an air pocket on the top 1/3 of the filter. It still gets fuel through, but I was unsure if it should be airless.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.