Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Awaking my 914 thats been off the road longer than I’ve been alive...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wbgoggans
Thought I would post of few pics of my barnfind.
wbgoggans
Another pic of it getting loaded on the tow truck
wbgoggans
This is where it lived for the past 2 years before I bought it in feb. before that it was owned by a vw collector ( I believe in south ga). According to the previous owner it was bought as a non running project for his son around 2000.
wbgoggans
This is its arrival to its current home( my friends garage). Originally the goal was to get it running during a week long break from school in feb. As I’m sure you could many if you could guess it’s still on jack stands today 7/27/20.
wbgoggans
I have over 500 photos and the car isn’t even done yet. I plan to post pics and get this thread up to date with the current progress of the car tomorrow. If you have any questions please leave them in the thread I’d love to chat about the car.
Craigers17
QUOTE(wbgoggans @ Jul 26 2020, 01:31 AM) *

I have over 500 photos and the car isn’t even done yet. I plan to post pics and get this thread up to date with the current progress of the car tomorrow. If you have any questions please leave them in the thread I’d love to chat about the car.

welcome.png

Good to see another 914 in North Georgia! Looking forward to seeing the progress.
DEC
welcome.png
Cairo94507
welcome.png Looks like a good car to start with. You have a good friend and between the two of you I am sure progress will be quick. You will love driving the 914- nothing else, (maybe a go cart?) handles like them. beerchug.gif
Dion
You’ve got a good friend there! Giving up garage real estate! biggrin.gif 914 like to live on
jack stands for quite awhile as you know. av-943.gif

Good luck with it and welcome. welcome.png
914-300Hemi
Good luck with the build and welcome.png
Tdskip
Welcome, and please do keep us posted on your progress. As I’m sure you’ve already figured out there are lots of helpful people here with a wealth of experience. Don’t be shy, have fun.
Nojoah
welcome.png
bbrock
welcome.png popcorn[1].gif
Montreal914
welcome.png

Seems like a very nice and straight car. smile.gif Original paint?

You have probably done your search here on what to do and where to start.

Good luck! Get it running, you will be hooked biggrin.gif assimilate.gif

...And definitely add pictures!
porschetub
welcome.png looks like you are off to a good start,car looks pretty original.
wbgoggans
Thanks for all of the kind words. I’m going to be updating the photos tonight while I’m working on the car.
wbgoggans
Here’s the first picture of it in its home for the past 5 months, my friends garage.
wbgoggans
Here’s the interior when I bought the car. In the next picture i will post the interior 30 mins after this.
wbgoggans
As you can tell we got a bit ambitious and started unnecessarily taking stuff apart. A big mistake that me and my friend have made throughout this process.
wbgoggans
Gotta keep it fun in the garage!
wbgoggans
Obviously the first mod was a twisted tach! Is that considered a mod or just boy racer?
wbgoggans
Here’s a summary of the 24 hours in between the last post and the next. The most amount of caffeine I’ve consumed since driving to palm beach for cavalino and then attending the Rolex 24 hour all on maybe 2 hours of sleep...
wbgoggans
Engine out! At this point we were still projected to finish the car in under a week and drive it to school on Monday...
wbgoggans
A very satisfying moment
wbgoggans
Mocking up my favorite part of the car. Dual Webber 44’s I’m sure I will
Hate them after a few weeks but for now I can still dream of wonderful induction nosies and natural over run
wbgoggans

Back outside for its first wash in 20+ Years! This is where I will end it for tonight. If you have any questions let me know and I will answer them in tomorrow nights garage session. For now it’s back to installing my 930 turbo tie rods!
BillJ
Ambitious and fun stuff. Hope it goes smoothly as possible. Good for you jumping in
siverson
Nice project! School is actually still on for you guys? I got my first 914 when I was 15 and still have it (am 44 now).
Superhawk996
Nice to see young gear heads playing with cars! aktion035.gif
jaredmcginness
Looks good. Nice work so far... Man I wish I had extra hands while working on mine!

No one has mentioned rust yet... It looks fine from the pics I've seen, but a bit crusty. Thoroughly poke around the rear of the longs and battery tray area. (with an icepick or equivilant) Repair whatever rust you can find while its stripped down this far.

Hate for it to fold in half on your first drive. (as you can see I am paranoid)

*Also refresh your brakes and fuel lines!* 20 years sitting unused is still 20 years old.

Welcome to 914 world!
krazykonrad
welcome.png

And Go Dawgs!

If you need anything, I'm not too far up the road.

Konrad
Frankvw
you guys are on a roll ! Had to be a great moment when the engine came out. It is going all very fast, it would be amazing if you had it back on the road in under a week from now (as you stated) but I will keep an eye on your posts.
these 44s look really good on the engine, but what engine does your 914 run that is will coop with tehse 44s ?
Good luck and it is nice to have some friends around that share the hobby with you.
wbgoggans
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Jul 28 2020, 12:09 PM) *

you guys are on a roll ! Had to be a great moment when the engine came out. It is going all very fast, it would be amazing if you had it back on the road in under a week from now (as you stated) but I will keep an eye on your posts.
these 44s look really good on the engine, but what engine does your 914 run that is will coop with tehse 44s ?
Good luck and it is nice to have some friends around that share the hobby with you.

I don’t know if I made this clear in the posting but this project started in February. I’m just now updating the project. As far as the carbs. I have nothing going on in the engine in to run Webber 44’s I just got a good price on them and didn’t shop around before I bought them.
wbgoggans
QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Jul 28 2020, 11:33 AM) *

Looks good. Nice work so far... Man I wish I had extra hands while working on mine!

No one has mentioned rust yet... It looks fine from the pics I've seen, but a bit crusty. Thoroughly poke around the rear of the longs and battery tray area. (with an icepick or equivilant) Repair whatever rust you can find while its stripped down this far.

Hate for it to fold in half on your first drive. (as you can see I am paranoid)

*Also refresh your brakes and fuel lines!* 20 years sitting unused is still 20 years old.

Welcome to 914 world!

Like I said in the post before I’m trying to catch up on the post from what I’ve already done. I’ve already replaced all of the soft lines and many hard lines. I will update more post about the brakes tonight. I really appreciate everyone’s feedback and wisdom. The kind words and expertise are what make this possible for someone as young as I am.
wbgoggans
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Jul 28 2020, 11:46 AM) *

welcome.png

And Go Dawgs!

If you need anything, I'm not too far up the road.

Konrad

Great to know there’s people close by. I’m actually considering getting someone to come and check over the work before I take it out on the road. Send me a PM if you think you could help. And as always GO DAWGS!
wbgoggans
QUOTE(siverson @ Jul 28 2020, 11:19 AM) *

Nice project! School is actually still on for you guys? I got my first 914 when I was 15 and still have it (am 44 now).

Yes our school is still on. The New York Times actually wrote article about my school yesterday.
I’m hoping it gets canceled so I will have more time to work on and eventually terrorize the local back roads in my 914.
Here’s a link to the article : https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.co...-masks.amp.html
wbgoggans
Fresh paint makes a world of difference!
wbgoggans
A before and after of my old monza exhaust. Feel free to debate the monza in the thread I would love to here your thoughts
wbgoggans
sawzall-smiley.gif
wbgoggans
I don’t have a pic of the tips which I also painted black
wbgoggans
And then there were two...
wbgoggans
The old brake master cylinder...
wbgoggans
The new 19MM brake master cylinder. I got it in a kit from auto Atlanta along with braided steel brake lines
wbgoggans
The new 19MM brake master cylinder. I got it in a kit from auto Atlanta along with braided steel brake lines
wbgoggans
Sorry for the double post. This is a great community but unfortunately the website is not optimized for mobile use
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.