Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoring a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fixer34
Especially if it is a -6.

Over the years I've seen a lot of threads about restoring these cars. Some of them seem to start out with little more than a few pieces of metal holding the VIN plates together. Once you have put the time, money, blood, sweat, etc into making it near perfect again, what do you do with it? I get the driving it to C&C or shows for 'bragging rights', but what about day-in/day-out?

I've been waffling about what to do with mine for way too long. The car is essentially in the same condition it was 30 yrs ago. I can go out, connect the battery, fire it up and take a drive pretty much anytime I want (except being in the upper midwest, there are a few months that I wouldn't). Thing is, there really isn't any place to go. Not a lot of 914-fun roads around here. As it is, I don't want to take it on any long trips (see the 30yrs part). Yea, I can do something about that, but as soon as I start taking one thing apart, it will be the 'while I'm in here...' and next thing I know it will be scattered all over the (too small) garage.

Some people have said to enjoy driving it as is until the wheels fall off or something major breaks, then worry about it. Not sure I can do that.

I could pay someone to fully restore it, but then I'm back to the first question, where would I drive it? Clay's experience also has me a little gun-shy. Chicago drivers are no better and now I have a much more expensive/value car sitting in the garage under a car cover.
Superhawk996
Put it in a bubble and pray.gif it?

Forgive, me but I'm basically a jack-ass.

I honestly don't understand your question but can relate to it. Does that make sense?

I have lots of friends that have done exactly what you outline. Restore to show standard and then it sits in the garage and they are afraid to drive it. Won't drive in rain, etc. I don't understand them but I've seen it happen time and time again.

I say sheeplove.gif that.

Cars are meant to be driven! There is nothing so rare that it shouldn't be driven. Lot's of respect for Jay Leno w.r.t this.

The Dr. even had the 916 out for a spin not so long ago. Not many 914's rarer than that one.

Could bad things happen. Sure! However, most things can be fixed. my 1st teener was wrecked by someone else on a test drive. Did it suck? Beyond belief. Does life go on? Yup. Just a car.

Even as bad as Clay's car is, it makes sense for him to get it fixed given the history and memories that car has. God bless him for getting it fixed. Hopefully, he'll chime in with his opinion.

IMHO - if you can't bear to drive it, it's the wrong car to have. Sure -6's are rareish but they are not some holy object that should just sit around in a garage to be polished and to drink beer over.

Keep it insured appropriately and drive the hell out of it, enjoy it, cars should bring joy not anguish. Just my opinion as a Jackass. YRMV.
Coondog
Sometimes the best change is no change.
Connect the battery and continue driving it when you feel like it....,, driving.gif
mepstein
Get it running reliably and attend a 914 events. Even if you have to trailer it out to one. It takes 914 ownership to a whole other level. If you have a great time, rinse and repeat. If it's an expensive hassle, sell the car.
Cairo94507
For some the journey is the reward, not the destination. My car is a hair away from completion and returning home with me. I plan to drive it. However, if I find that I do not enjoy driving it, hard to imagine as this is my 3rd Six, I would likely sell it to get something I would enjoy. I don't know, a walker maybe?????? slits.gif beerchug.gif
gandalf_025
If you own a car since you were a kid..
No matter how much it is worth now...
It is irreplaceable.... Part of your life.
Insurance is good to have but in the end
losing YOUR car can’t have a value put on it..
Buying a car later in life and pouring a
ton of money into it is Different.
I bought my car when I was 18
and it has been part of my life For 47 years..
Nothing could make the loss of it right..
Your situation might be different.
But my car would never see rain or bad weather.
I’ve already picked out it’s next owner...
yellowporky
I just completed a 4 year restoration and promptly contacted Leland West and have a proper agreed value policy in place and drive it every chance i can. Nothing is new forever and you do not live forever either.
Enjoy it

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
When I lived in Wa. state ..Hagerty canceled me because of one of my sons driving record...havent driven it in 5yrs..for sale...
WA state BS and Hagerty let me by for 5yrs..but said the waver was no longer valid..oh well
Garland
Take the long trips, if you can drive it anytime, you can drive it anywhere. I love the long drives. Try to avoid long expressway, and take the winding 2 lanes.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Garland @ Jul 26 2020, 01:29 PM) *

Take the long trips, if you can drive it anytime, you can drive it anywhere. I love the long drives. Try to avoid long expressway, and take the winding 2 lanes.

smilie_pokal.gif

I have to laugh though, like OP in Illinois, we don't have many winding roads in Michigan av-943.gif State largely laid out on a surveyors grid. Nice straight lines. sad.gif

The notable exception is around the perimeter of the lakes - those are great drives though. They are out there, you just have to know where they are. Gotta look for them though.

I dream of getting my teener back on the road and out west in the mountains.
Lg914
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jul 26 2020, 09:54 AM) *

Especially if it is a -6.

Over the years I've seen a lot of threads about restoring these cars. Some of them seem to start out with little more than a few pieces of metal holding the VIN plates together. Once you have put the time, money, blood, sweat, etc into making it near perfect again, what do you do with it? I get the driving it to C&C or shows for 'bragging rights', but what about day-in/day-out?

I've been waffling about what to do with mine for way too long. The car is essentially in the same condition it was 30 yrs ago. I can go out, connect the battery, fire it up and take a drive pretty much anytime I want (except being in the upper midwest, there are a few months that I wouldn't). Thing is, there really isn't any place to go. Not a lot of 914-fun roads around here. As it is, I don't want to take it on any long trips (see the 30yrs part). Yea, I can do something about that, but as soon as I start taking one thing apart, it will be the 'while I'm in here...' and next thing I know it will be scattered all over the (too small) garage.

Some people have said to enjoy driving it as is until the wheels fall off or something major breaks, then worry about it. Not sure I can do that.

I could pay someone to fully restore it, but then I'm back to the first question, where would I drive it? Clay's experience also has me a little gun-shy. Chicago drivers are no better and now I have a much more expensive/value car sitting in the garage under a car cover.

There are plenty of places to drive not far from the the center of Chicago. You just need to go north. Or west. Or best north west. Head towards Lake Geneva, then go towards the Dells. The Driftless area of Wisconsin offers some of the best driving around. As for a 914 in Chicago. I never found it to be a problem. Use it to run errands in the actual city all the time.

If you are scared of driving it then it’s not a car that is meant to be driven by you. But in the end it’s just a car.
ClayPerrine
Don't let my experience keep you from driving your 914 anywhere. Betty's car got to 430,000 miles before I got hit. My big six has been hit twice, and I just realized EVERY time I have been hit in a 914, I was sitting still. So you need to keep moving so they can't draw a bead on you. Get it out and drive it. If it just sits in the garage, it is not a car.... it is just a piece of art that you keep in the garage.

That orange 914 has sooooo many memories, starting with our first date. I drove to her house (I had a 79 924 at the time) and she drove me around because she knew that town, and I didn't. It was early December, and I spent the whole time riding around with the windshield and side window fogged over. She later told me that the fact that I didn't get nervous with her driving made her go out with me again. driving-girl.gif And living up to the paint, code (phoenix red) that 914 of hers will be back to running again. I guarantee it. We went over and got the motor and trans yesterday, and traded out the wheels for a set that can get paint on them. The shop is going to pick up the donor car this week, and we will be back out there on Saturday. I may even take a 914, but only if it not too hot. No AC yet.

Honestly, I have been really nervous about getting out and driving since the wreck. Even in my truck. But that hasn't stopped me at all. Accidents (and idiots in Kias) happen. The odds will eventually catch up with you. Stack the odds in your favor and get out and DRIVE.

As for long trips, gather some others that have 914s, split up the spare parts and tools, and take off. Drive to the WCR, drive to Okteenerfest (when it happens again), get out and ENJOY owning a running 914. Nothing feels like tearing up the twisties on a Saturday afternoon with a bunch of friends.

I know I will be there. I hope to see you there too. driving.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif
mbseto
I don't think anyone lies on their deathbed saying, "I wish I hadn't put so many miles on the 914."
SteveL
QUOTE(mbseto @ Jul 27 2020, 12:29 PM) *

I don't think anyone lies on their deathbed saying, "I wish I hadn't put so many miles on the 914."

Very well said. That is what life all boils down to. Live as fulfilling a life as possible, because you can't save it for round 2.
Olympic 914
Another vote for "Just Drive it"

I had typed a big long response, hit a wrong key and it all disappeared, I hate when that happens.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 26 2020, 11:39 AM) *

Get it running reliably and attend a 914 events. Even if you have to trailer it out to one. It takes 914 ownership to a whole other level. If you have a great time, rinse and repeat. If it's an expensive hassle, sell the car.

It is so much fun to get together with other 914 owners and socialize at an event.
Also consider autocrossing it.
HansJan
Mine is not a 6, but has lots of my sweat, blood and tears in it.
Took it out for groceries, in the pouring rain, today.
Its my favorite weather to drive in (the 914). It might actually break tire adhesion to the street (on the white lines at the traffic lights).
PanelBilly
I never imagined I'd enjoy driving my car as much as I do. With the exception of the engine roar that makes my ears ring, its soo much fun. I need to start remembering the ear plugs.
VegasRacer
Words of wisdom I learned from my grandmother.
Use the good china.
SKL1
DRIVE it!!

Had my '71 since new (it was my first car ) and it is irreplaceable and will always be in the familly. My '73 also has great sentimental value and when I restored it I was way underwater but don't care as it isn't going anywhere either. Luckily I have 2 boys who are both motorheads and they've called dibs on both. It also looks like my 3 1/2 and 1 year grandsons will be motorheads as well so they will be driven for as long as we have gas and roads to drive them on...
Jett
Drive it!
914_7T3
driving.gif
DRPHIL914
agree.gif exactly- drive it, and they are never really done are they? because no matter what its still a 50 year old car or close right? feel like there are little things that need attention here and there. i did all my suspension bushings bearings etc a few years ago along with brakes all lines etc and yet i had a MC blow out on me , had to clean that up. and i didnt have the cash to plate all my parts so i have been slowly replacing and improving and now have hit that point too were there is little left to do... getting clear bra treatment to front hood so that i am not so worried about messing up the paint , going to drive it a lot more in the upcoming year i am sure once fall comes and it cools down. so i hope you also get it out of the garage/storage etc and just DRIVE!!!!!
Big Len
Join the PCA or a local VW club. Always a lot going on.

Injunmort used to say if you can drive 25 miles, you can drive 250 miles.
campbellcj
From time-to-time I think about selling mine, which also doesn't get used much, but then I go drive it around and I'm cured within 10 minutes.
Bleyseng
Took mine out for the first time in 2 months to take the wife to see the sunset in West Seattle. It was 90F out but still made for a beautiful ride
burlybryan

Over the years I've seen a lot of threads about restoring these cars. Some of them seem to start out
There are plenty of places to drive not far from the the center of Chicago. You just need to go north. Or west. Or best north west. Head towards Lake Geneva, then go towards the Dells. The Driftless area of Wisconsin offers some of the best driving around. As for a 914 in Chicago. I never found it to be a problem. Use it to run errands in the actual city all the time.

If you are scared of driving it then it’s not a car that is meant to be driven by you. But in the end it’s just a car.

This is what we do, except originating in Minneapolis. Great driving in southwestern sconnie. Getting out of the chicago area is bit further and more hassle, but worth it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.