Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Somewhat off topic: Audi S5 Prestige
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmichalik
As a token of my esteem, and a thank you to my wife for her indentured servitude for the past 10 years while I built my business and career, I bought her an Audi S5 Prestige yesterday.
It was my brothers and, to be honest, it was the only time in my 20 years of knowing her that she actually said "I want that car". To her, my obsession with automobiles is something to roll her eyes at.
This car is a BEAST! Supercharged V-6 putting out 334 hp to an all wheel drive setup. Six speed manual transmission and just an all around bad ass car.
The way I'm tying this into our 914's is that I've never been hit with the "I need more power" bug for them. I've always been happy with the 2.0's but, now.... not so much.
One day of diving this thing and I have to put a bigger motor in the 914.
There's nothing like that being pushed back in your seat when you get on the throttle feeling and it's been a long time since I've felt it.
I'm not going to go crazy but, I'm thinking of a 2056 or so. Enough to propel it a bit more. smile.gif
Click to view attachment
73-914
Nice ride. Glad to see it's a manual
Cairo94507
Great car. I do not believe I have ever seen a manual transmission S5. That will be fun to drive for sure.

I have the little brother, the S3 Prestige with 290 horse and the DSG transmission for my DD. Did some 034 Motorsports lowering springs and larger rear sway bar. Lowered it 5/8" and stiffened it up nicely. 034 Makes great stuff for all Audi cars. Love driving it on canyon roads. beerchug.gif
preach
My wife drives/loves a Mk1 TT S-line with the 3.2/DSG on eibach springs (-1.5") and koni yellos.

Her first TT was a 1.8T 5spd.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Jul 26 2020, 01:23 PM) *

There's nothing like that being pushed back in your seat when you get on the throttle feeling and it's been a long time since I've felt it.

I'd suggest a test drive of a Tesla P100D AWD in ludicrous mode. EV's have no soul for me, but, man, there is nothing like that kind of acceleration coming out of any other production car and/or a hot rodded 914. It'll wreck you for life. laugh.gif

Audi has been putting out some nice sedans though. Comfortable, good handling with North/south engine, pretty quick and and AWD really helps ground the power. Especially love the Audi Sport Differential that does torque vectoring. It literally transforms these big sedans and really helps the handling. For anyone debating on getting the Sport Diff -- do it. Worth every penny!

Was driving a S6 a while back and got outgunned by a Charger 392 at a stoplight. That was a bummer.
porschetub
Only driven one manual a six speed S4 ,found it well matched to the turbo engine,I thought it would be better to keep the power "on the boil" than the tiptronic.
On my second 3.0TDI avant,both 6 speed tiptronic but my current A6 is a better gearbox IMO...don't know why.
Hope your wife enjoys the car beerchug.gif .
jim912928
Wife has an Audi S4 with the 4.2l V8...it’s a rocketship!
90quattrocoupe
One of my other German cars.

IPB Image
jd74914
Nice buy! Hope she enjoys it!

@90quattrocoupe Sweet Coupe! Brings back memories from the 4000s and A90's I worked on in high school and college with big pie plate turbos. Fun cars and amazing what that 20V motor could handle from stupid teenagers. :lol; biggrin.gif
Front yard mechanic
Nice car now go out and buy special oil mobile 1 special power steering fluid mineral oil and special coolant @ 24.00 a quart and don't forget the dot 5 brake fluid drooley.gif
Justinp71

Nice! I have an a6 with the same motor with a stage 1 chip. I can get it to do a 4.0 0-60 time smile.gif. Some of the stage 2 guys are mid-low 3's. Past that it's fast but not as fast as some of the other new hot rods out there.
Justinp71
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Jul 28 2020, 11:08 AM) *

Nice car now go out and buy special oil mobile 1 special power steering fluid mineral oil and special coolant @ 24.00 a quart and don't forget the dot 5 brake fluid drooley.gif

Some of the fluids are expensive yes, but they tend to last longer. Also you can get much better pricing online with sites like ecstuning.com. They are expensive cars to maintain at a shop however. Especially the dealer is extremely expensive.
mmichalik
Thanks for all the great comments and pictures of your cars, everyone. It's cool to see all the other cars out there that we all own.

And my wife is having a great time with the car so far.

as for maintenance @Front yard mechanic , I made a rule a long time ago to never again purchase a car if I couldn't afford to maintain it. Ran into that trap once before. smile.gif I knew going in that that upkeep is expensive but, after what my wife has done for me, it's money well spent.

Have a great day!

slivel
I had an 2010 A6 with that superchargerd engine (my son now has it). Replaced it with a 19 A6 with the turbo six and prefer the supercharged version. I did the software flash and the drive pulley change on the car my son now has - extra 100 horses and lots of fun. Car was super reliable for me.
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Jul 29 2020, 06:16 AM) *

Thanks for all the great comments and pictures of your cars, everyone. It's cool to see all the other cars out there that we all own.

And my wife is having a great time with the car so far.

as for maintenance @Front yard mechanic , I made a rule a long time ago to never again purchase a car if I couldn't afford to maintain it. Ran into that trap once before. smile.gif I knew going in that that upkeep is expensive but, after what my wife has done for me, it's money well spent.

Have a great day!

My daughter has an a6 I'm the mechanic in the family. I love Audis solid well built I'm Just in the bad habit of rubbing people no harm intended beerchug.gif
SKL1
Nice to go back far enough to get a manual. Have had Audis nonstop from 1980 to last year when we replaced the Q5 with a Macan GTS.

After moving to AZ you really don't need a quattro DD anymore smile.gif

My son in IA just got a RS5 sportback. Obviously an automatic but that too is a rocketship!!
mmichalik
My daughter has an a6 I'm the mechanic in the family. I love Audis solid well built I'm Just in the bad habit of rubbing people no harm intended beerchug.gif

None taken. smile.gif Cheers beerchug.gif
914forme
Just swap the engine out of the S5 it into your 914 confused24.gif
914forme
biggrin.gif my wife would kill me if I took the engine out of her X5M and swapped it into another car. So go find another S5 engine, and make your car faster.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jul 29 2020, 11:19 PM) *

After moving to AZ you really don't need a quattro DD anymore smile.gif

AWD - it's not just for breakfast snow anymore. AWD really helps ground the power on most of these luxury performance sedans.

It's very hard to ground 350 - 400 HP on a RWD only platform and get modern acceleration numbers with tires that are still resonable for fuel economy, NVH, and wear without AWD.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.