Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: pertronix
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914fire
Im thinking of putting a petronix Ignitor on my carbed 1970 1.7 what all do I need to do this? I think the cam and dizzy are stock but dont reaaly know for sure.
bd1308
one 8mm deep socket... thats it. just install the ignitor ( i had to shave a little off of one of the sides....) and connect the black wire to the (-) side of the coil and the red to the (+) side of the coil. That's about it. Make sure your copper ground strap in the distributor is good as well.
Mueller
remove dist. cap, remove the points, install pertronix, replace the dist cap, time it and enjoy driving.gif
914fire
any suggestions on the coil or where to buy the petronixs
bd1308
if you are talking about the pertronix points replacement, then the blue coil works really well....

i found out the hard way that if you're burning out points at a incredible rate, the pertronix will die...

Pelican Parts has them...
wheelo
I got my set-up from "Evil-Bay"... got hell-of-a-deal...
They also have their own web-site...
Hot coil & optical points = easy upgrade...

cool_shades.gif

- M
Tobra
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 11 2005, 01:51 PM)
remove dist. cap, remove the points, install pertronix, replace the dist cap, time it and enjoy driving.gif

Sorry to revive this from the dead. I like the idea of no points. I also like the idea that it is super low profile. Will it run okay off the stock coil, or does it like a hotter fire? Will the stock tach run off it?
Joe Bob
Do a search on the subject....there is a 50/50 split on lovers and haters....

I think they would have to improve the design to just suck....Crane/Allison is what I use.
McMark
It's a bolt in replacement. No other upgrades or add ons are necessary. It's a quick easy install and then retime the motor and you're on your way. Pull out the distributor for an easier time installing. Also get a new distributor O-Ring while you're in there. wink.gif
Aaron Cox
check your coil ohmage before you fry your pertronix.

iirc between 1.5 and 3ohms, dont quote me on it....

its 2 wires....how hard is it to hook up and not fry???????? rolleyes.gif

that being said, mine worked withour a hitch for 3 years in my 050 with my 3.0 ohm blue coil, and is now serving in mattr's motor
Pugbug
I've been using Pertronix in the dune buggy for about 5 years.....and also in the 914. In both cases I'm using the stock coils. Easy install, time it and forget it. The timing never changes once it is set. One word of caution ....Do not leave you ignition on for an extended time without the engine running.
TravisNeff
3 ohms for your coil, as per the directions. If it is less you need a ballast resistor. My bosch blue coil came in at 2.5ohm, but when the engine was warm it was 4.0 ohms. I said fuch it and ran it, works fine.
Tobra
so this is >3 ohm across coil then, one pole on +, one on - and the resistance between the two points, right?
TravisNeff
Kerreckt!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Tobra @ Aug 30 2005, 01:40 PM)
so this is >3 ohm across coil then, one pole on +, one on - and the resistance between the two points, right?

that be da procedure biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.