https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/Q8q3DZB_l6M
BillC
How much is it and where do I get one? aktion035.gif

Just imagine how fast you could make an entire 914 disappear! lol-2.gif
dirk2056
QUOTE(BillC @ Jul 28 2020, 03:00 PM) *

agree.gif Well best I can find is $53,000 but that was dated aug 2016 but for less than $ 2,500 I'm in !!
BillC
Well, some quick googling reveals that the low-power P-Laser machines now start around $65,000. Just a bit out of my price range.

But, I looked on Amazon, and found a 50W machine they claim removes rust for only $16,000.

Anyone want to split a purchase?
barefoot
QUOTE(BillC @ Jul 28 2020, 05:00 PM) *

Reminds me of a feature in grassroots motorsports describing acid dipping restoration of Nissan Z cars.
When dipping some from the coastal areas of England, they said nothing comes out after the dip. blink.gif
ClayPerrine
That is like something from Star Trek!

Maybe 914World should buy one as a group.

VaccaRabite
Its really REALLY cool tech. Its easier on the base metal then dipping or blasting. Will take about 20 more years before its readily available for "the rest of us" but I bet you start seeing them in higher end shops over the next decade.

For a lot of our applications though, cutting and welding is still the better option, since the metal is thin and after 40+ years of rusting there just is not anything left in that spot.

Zach
Jamie
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 29 2020, 08:36 AM) *

Its really REALLY cool tech. Its easier on the base metal then dipping or blasting. Will take about 20 more years before its readily available for "the rest of us" but I bet you start seeing them in higher end shops over the next decade.

For a lot of our applications though, cutting and welding is still the better option, since the metal is thin and after 40+ years of rusting there just is not anything left in that spot.

Zach

Interesting that one of the examples is a hand held unit. Wonder if it has any recoil?
jd74914
I've spent the last 6 years working with high powered lasers and have seen some injuries so have to add...

These things are f'in dangerous. The Dihorse 50W that people have been reviewing is a 50W, 1064nm beam...I haven't seen any reviews where people are using the correct Class IV goggles for that. Added to the fact that they laser they are using likely doesn't have the correct internally filtering to ensure it's actually IR-only...probably some UV components which will really screw up your eyes.

You could really do the same thing they are doing by getting a pulsed Nd-YAG laser off ebay from China and adding some optics. They go a step further and put it into a pretty box.
jd74914
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jul 29 2020, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 29 2020, 08:36 AM) *

Zach

Interesting that one of the examples is a hand held unit. Wonder if it has any recoil?

There is no recoil...relativisticly photons [light] don't weigh much. laugh.gif

I wouldn't say easier on the base metal necessarily...laser ablation takes off everything including base metal. Rust is more weakly adhered so it should ablate first. Technically, there is probably some laser-induced breakdown here (fancy term for burning) which would get off the rust too. This kind of stuff is actually used for cleaning contaminates off of the thermal barrier coatings in jet engine turbine blades by one well known company.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.