Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail dragger question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MattR
Im going to start on some rust repair on my '67 912 and I'd like to get opinions. First off, trust me, the car isnt too rusty. I know the jack points look bad, but it has some floorpan rust and the jack points, but the rest is very solid (ive gone through it all).

My question: i bought the replacement jack plates and tubes from restoration design already. To weld them in, do I have to take off the outer rocker panel? They look tucked away under the outer rocker panel. Whats the best way to properly weld these things up? Dont worry about paint, I'll be respraying the car also. Ive attached a picture to clarify.
MattR
nuther pic
Mueller
did this a few years ago to my father-in-laws 911T

Mueller
asdf
Mueller
more.......
Mueller
qwerty........
Mueller
asdf
MattR
Interesting... welder.gif

thanks mike
TimT
Problem with rust in that area, is it can be BIG

There is a piece behined the door jamb, kind of over the jack post. There should be about a 3/8-1/2 in gap between the piece(called a fender support) and the door jamb

Problem is this area get packed rid road schmutz, and never dries out.

You can get some serious rust in this area

This is my 911 after I repaired the area,prior to reinstalling the door-jamb

Mueller
all patched up........
Mueller
what sucks is having to cut the fender to get in there....
MattR
Mike, how did you remove the outer fender and rocker panel? Are there just a bunch of spot welds in there?
TimT
This isnt a good pic, but is after I removed all the cancer, and started to repair the area

Mueller
for the longs and rocker panels, I used a spot-weld drill tip...the fender has to be cut sawzall-smiley.gif and butt welded back together.......

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.