Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gearbox. open it up or not?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RFoulds
I have never opened up a 901 gearbox. with the last race car, I had 2 different boxes with different gear sets, and the gear charts for both. Current race car, has a rock solid transmission, but the gears are wrong for the tracks I run. problem is, I have no idea what gears are in it. it was built by Transaxle Engineering, and neither they or the PO documented what gears are in it.

So, any recommendation on who can replace a gear set or at least 5th? I would take it back to Transaxle Engineering but I know they are going to be expensive.

yeahmag
Dr. Evil can do it for you for a good, if not great price.
Bleyseng
Do it yourself as its really pretty easy to work on these 901 boxes. You need the factory manual for the 901 stuff but its easy to follow .
ctc911ctc
I went through the same quandary.

I bought the Dr. Evil videos and watched them through a few times.

I then did two things for the first time.

1. Dropped the Engine
2. Opened the transmission

I found that the tranny was in terrific shape with the exception of 1st and 2nd sync/ring & Dog teeth.

I am now buying the tools to disassemble the gears and then will replace them once the parts come....>George????

So far soo good,

Thank you all Teeners for the advice and encouragement!

914_7T3
If you are not going to do it yourself, consider bringing it to Kevin at KCR Transmission in Riverside.

He did a great job on rebuilding mine at reasonable pricing. Changed out the main bearing, 1st/reverse slider and all 5 synchros.

http://kcrtransmissions.com/
Montreal914
Perfect opportunity to get acquainted with your gearbox! smile.gif

Buy Dr Evil's video, watch it first with a beer, beer3.gif , then bring your laptop in the garage and dive in pressing pause and play... Fun project made easy with the video! smilie_pokal.gif

Good luck!
RFoulds
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Jul 29 2020, 01:16 PM) *

If you are not going to do it yourself, consider bringing it to Kevin at KCR Transmission in Riverside.

He did a great job on rebuilding mine at reasonable pricing. Changed out the main bearing, 1st/reverse slider and all 5 synchros.

http://kcrtransmissions.com/

good call on KCR transmission. I had heard of them and lost the contact info.
I just dont have the time to get into it on my own. wish I did.

ctc911ctc
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jul 29 2020, 02:25 PM) *

Perfect opportunity to get acquainted with your gearbox! smile.gif

Buy Dr Evil's video, watch it first with a beer, beer3.gif , then bring your laptop in the garage and dive in pressing pause and play... Fun project made easy with the video! smilie_pokal.gif

Good luck!

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
roblav1
Find a Hewland MK9! Essy to swap gesrs!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.