Full Version: Cheapest 6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Unobtanium-inc
Ambitious, but the bones look good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283958124180

jaredmcginness
I just came here to post this.

I want to say “yikes” but I still want it in my driveway. There have been worse offered for more.
Beebo Kanelle
How much is the reserve?
Cairo94507
I wish it was still in the desert. beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
VW Porsche mag Aug. 1980
VegasRacer
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 30 2020, 05:53 PM) *

VW Porsche mag Aug. 1980

Thanks Jeff. I knew I had seen that car somewhere before.
rgalla9146
Maybe cheap to get into......not so cheap to bring back.
Bring money, talent and time.
Restored is best.
Unobtanium-inc
What would make this car cool would be a big six motor and some flares, make a real monster, and in the end it would be a real six, so could justify the money you put into it. Depending on how cheap it sells for.
ctc911ctc
OK, who did this conversion????!!!

WTF.gif WTF.gif

I know you are lurking out there!

You can admit it, we are all friends here.....we completely understand.....

It was the 80's, Miami Vice was a cool look, just change a few of the lines....... welder.gif

Oh, and add a Super Graphic, yea! Totally get it! smoke.gif

I figure you have all of the parts you took out in your garage......send me a note, we can talk! smile.gif
Beakster
Having Owning one of these Chaton kit ... I don't think its a TRUE -6 .. I think the seller thinks he has a 6 because of the extra parts .. But mine has the same Parts... Still Dosen't make it a 6 .. Why would he put in the ad 2.0 ?? Strange ... Plus No Engine or Trans .. confused24.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Jul 30 2020, 05:56 PM) *

It was the 80's, Miami Vice was a cool look, just change a few of the lines....... welder.gif

Don't knock Miami Vice!
carr914
QUOTE(Beakster @ Jul 30 2020, 09:58 PM) *

Having Owning one of these Chaton kit ... I don't think its a TRUE -6 .. I think the seller thinks he has a 6 because of the extra parts .. But mine has the same Parts... Still Dosen't make it a 6 .. Why would he put in the ad 2.0 ?? Strange ... Plus No Engine or Trans .. confused24.gif

Did you see the VIN? It's a Six
SO.O.C914er
I still have a copy of that VW-Porsche in the garage! lol-2.gif ....Paul
brant
I have a copy of that issue!
pete000
Would be interesting to find out if it was that same cover car all these years later !
flyer86d
I saw this car earlier this week. It is a real -6 and it is very rust free. It needs four fenders and the damaged rear panel replaced. I think he is including a replacement rear panel. The original fenders were removed where they normally attach. It had a seized 3.2 in it when Matt bought it and the -6 serial are all present and accounted for as well as the Karmen body number in front of the rear trunk latch. Somebody save it. I have one and don’t need two at this time.

Charlie
jaredmcginness
QUOTE(Beakster @ Jul 30 2020, 09:58 PM) *

Still Dosen't make it a 6 .. Why would he put in the ad 2.0 ?? Strange ... Plus No Engine or Trans .. confused24.gif

The flat sixes equipped on the 914 six was a 2.0l sourced from a 911T. So the ad is accurate.
Cairo94507
See, that is why I love this site. Someone asks a question because they are unfamiliar with what makes a real Six and members take the time to explain why it is in fact a Six. Everyone learns in the process. On most other car forums the fur would have been flying. Civility wins the day. beerchug.gif
davep
VIN 9140431368
I also have that VW Porsche magazine issue; and many more. Forty years!
bbrock
If I wasn't suffering from restoration fatigue already and had more shop space, I'd bid on this. Looks like a great project and probably the only way I could ever afford a real six. Somebody should get it.
ClayPerrine
My mental process right now...

idea.gif I have an original six motor in pieces in the garage, I have the guts of a six transmission with the right gear ratios... idea.gif

chair.gif STOP IT! You already have a real six... This one would take loads of body work to be brought back to stock chair.gif

happy11.gif But it is a real six. It needs saved! happy11.gif

slap.gif You are not a body man.. this would require a LOT of money and time to fix slap.gif

hissyfit.gif BUT IT IS A REAL SIX!!!!! hissyfit.gif

screwy.gif You haven't even finished your big six conversion, your current real six, and your BMW. Plus you have to get Betty's car back up and running, and you want to buy a 914 race car. screwy.gif

sad.gif DAMN...... sad.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 31 2020, 05:48 AM) *

idea.gif I have an original six motor in pieces in the garage, I have the guts of a six transmission with the right gear ratios... idea.gif

chair.gif STOP IT! You already have a real six... This one would take loads of body work to be brought back to stock chair.gif

slap.gif You are not a body man.. this would require a LOT of money and time to fix slap.gif

screwy.gif You haven't even finished your big six conversion, your current real six, and your BMW. Plus you have to get Betty's car back up and running, and you want to buy a 914 race car. screwy.gif

For the last 10 years I held onto two original 6 motors, thinking a roller would come along. Finally about a year ago I said enough, put both motors in different early 911's and off they went. Then this pops up, a couple of hours away. It's always the way it is, if you have it, you don't need it, if you need it, you don't have it.
JmuRiz
I'd be tempted to bring it back to the magazine setup...talk about oddball biggrin.gif Plus it'd piss off more purists wink.gif
gandalf_025
It would seem to me that replacing 4 fenders
would be a whole lot easier than replacing rusted out
or crash damaged structure..
If the car isn’t rusty, I’ve seen WAY worse saved..
Looks like 99% of the six stuff is still with the car.
Anyone looking for a six project, knowing it
won’t be numbers matching probably could buy a lot worse..
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jul 31 2020, 09:26 AM) *

For the last 10 years I held onto two original 6 motors, thinking a roller would come along. Finally about a year ago I said enough, put both motors in different early 911's and off they went. Then this pops up, a couple of hours away. It's always the way it is, if you have it, you don't need it, if you need it, you don't have it.

So, go buy it, and I will sell you the -6 motor I have.

Clay
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 31 2020, 08:19 AM) *

Clay

The only problem with that was the two six motors I have, I paid $500 each for them. I'm assuming yours isn't $500.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jul 31 2020, 11:30 AM) *

Clay

The only problem with that was the two six motors I have, I paid $500 each for them. I'm assuming yours isn't $500.

Nope. And it is disassembled too. I have all the pieces, but it has to be rebuilt.

Superhawk996
get yer bid snipper bids in now. This one is going to jump price in the last few milli-seconds of the auction.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 31 2020, 08:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jul 31 2020, 11:30 AM) *

Clay

Nope. And it is disassembled too. I have all the pieces, but it has to be rebuilt.

Right so my situation is I had a longblock in the corner that I paid $500 for, see a six roller come by, grab it, throw the motor in, throw some Zenith's on there, and you have a car. Which is a good spot to sell a car. Your plan would work fine if I was hoping to build a six for myself. Get the roller at a decent price, get the motor bits from you, get the motor built, and have a cool car. You can see the dilemma.
gandalf_025
Why would any of you people want an original 6 motor..::???
All I see is that they are a lump and slow and not worth dealing with
if they aren’t matching #. Seems like a contradiction...??
Al Meredith
It's great to see how many of us still have the old VW & Porsche mags . I still have the 1960s issue of Dune Buggies and Hot VWs That has the plans for the first "Formcar" Formula V when Brundage first invented the Class. Interesting to see how many of us first got this infection. Al
burton73
Condition:Used
“Used genuine Porsche 914-6 without the motor or transmission. Solid Mojave desert car.”
Ended:Jul 31, 2020 , 10:34AM
Current bid:US $10,400.00[ 32 bids ]

Bob B
nditiz1
10,400 unsold ^beat me to it
flyer86d
If it didn’t sell, Matt still has it. Call Retro Automotive in Claremont, NH and make him an offer. It’s a real -6 and one of us should save it. I won’t live long enough to finish it as it would get in line behind my 356 Roadster and my 914-6.

Charlie
Superhawk996
That's right around what I'd be willing to go to. For the right affecianado, I thought it might jump to $17K-$20K based on the other flamed out wreck that has been offered up a couple times in the past.

Hard to tell what reserve was. Could be completely irrational like $50k confused24.gif who knows.
Unobtanium-inc
That bidding seems about right for a roller needing complete bodywork. The wrecked one that keeps popping up is at least matching numbers with motor and gearbox. This one will always be a pig in a poke, maybe a cool one, but will never command top money.

I wonder what his reserve was?
framos914
Yup, would be nice to know the reserve price.

The other 6 last week that needed a crane to remove from back yard must have been fake.
Cairo94507
Call me crazy, but it's at about the max I would pay given what it needs and what it does not come with. I hope someone here grabs it and does it justice by returning the body to a stock or GT body. beerchug.gif
gms
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Jul 31 2020, 11:48 AM) *

Why would any of you people want an original 6 motor..::???
All I see is that they are a lump and slow and not worth dealing with
if they aren’t matching #. Seems like a contradiction...??

agree.gif
It is crazy what people ask for an original 914/6 engine! if it is not original (even one number off) it is still a none matching engine and you have added nothing to the value of the car...why not put something with more HP.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jul 31 2020, 12:22 PM) *
That bidding seems about right for a roller needing complete bodywork. The wrecked one that keeps popping up is at least matching numbers with motor and gearbox. This one will always be a pig in a poke, maybe a cool one, but will never command top money.

Judging from the prices on some of his other Porsche items for sale, i think it's safe to say his reserve was much, much, much higher than $10k.
dry.gif
tygaboy
Talk me out of calling Matt, buying it and sending it to Kent and the crew in LA....
I'm busy with my own project. Plus, this one deserves better quality than what I could do and I'm not good at leaving things even remotely stock.
I'm thinking narrow body with gas burners and something like a 2.2.
Again, please: talk me out of it.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jul 31 2020, 08:16 AM) *

I'd be tempted to bring it back to the magazine setup...talk about oddball biggrin.gif Plus it'd piss off more purists wink.gif

I think it would be prefect for a Subaru turbo. Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 1 2020, 11:53 AM) *

Judging from the prices on some of his other Porsche items for sale, i think it's safe to say his reserve was much, much, much higher than $10k.
dry.gif

Yes most like likely but have dealt with him before his stuff is top notch,I do find his 914 parts are somewhat "up there".
First purchase was 911 internal handbrake parts for one side,he included a set of "wear parts for the other side for free ,like $50 which I thought was fair and parts came beadblasted…..just saying.
No rust in the shell good but I assumed these kits required bastardization to fit the glass panels ? if so the repair work and replacement steel panels could be rather spendy also.
mepstein
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 31 2020, 08:31 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 1 2020, 11:53 AM) *

dry.gif

Yes most like likely but have dealt with him before his stuff is top notch,I do find his 914 parts are somewhat "up there".
First purchase was 911 internal handbrake parts for one side,he included a set of "wear parts for the other side for free ,like $50 which I thought was fair and parts came beadblasted…..just saying.
No rust in the shell good but I assumed these kits required bastardization to fit the glass panels ? if so the repair work and replacement steel panels could be rather spendy also.

Lots of cutting with a sawzall and then flattening over with a hammer. Adhesive and bondo.
914werke
Meh dry.gif
I remember that issue & probably also have it in a box with hundreds of old cycle & Porsche mags
Superhawk996
Better question is how does this car go from being on the cover of a magazine to this condition.

Poor 914's have had a rough life.
Porschef
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Jul 31 2020, 04:10 AM) *

I saw this car earlier this week. It is a real -6 and it is very rust free. It needs four fenders and the damaged rear panel replaced. I think he is including a replacement rear panel. The original fenders were removed where they normally attach. It had a seized 3.2 in it when Matt bought it and the -6 serial are all present and accounted for as well as the Karmen body number in front of the rear trunk latch. Somebody save it. I have one and don’t need two at this time.

Charlie

I was just gonna give you the heads up... rolleyes.gif
BillJ
No longer available. Someone fess up
rgalla9146
I hope I don't regret passing on this one.
BillJ
That is a wall art installation I would love to have
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.