Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: does this come off??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grasshopper
dose the piece marked with the white arrow, come off the strut assembley, or is it all one piece? thanks
grasshopper
also, can this piece be replaced? if so, where can i get one?
Cap'n Krusty
Leave it a few more months and it'll fall off! Seriously, it's a part of the strut. The Cap'n
bondo
Wow, that's some rusty stuff. Is it from your recent ebay win? smile.gif

I don't think the sturut comes apart, at least not easily. As for the brake shield, I'm sure you can find a better used one than that, never seen a new one.

grasshopper
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 11 2005, 04:46 PM)
Leave it a few more months and it'll fall off! Seriously, it's a part of the strut. The Cap'n

im seeing if i can reuse most of the front suspension. no holes at least....just the brake sheilds. and no bondo, those are not the one that i won on ebay. i going to put those in its place if they are good. they are koni's. beadblasting next week, and if they are good, powder coating lime green the week after clap.gif
Mueller
yes, that supposed to come off if you are referring to the wheel bearing race.

as the heat shield, I normally throw those away (just threw 4 sets of perfect ones away a few weeks ago)....post a WTB ad for 'em, you should be able to find some in much, much better shape dirt cheap...
grasshopper
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 11 2005, 04:57 PM)
as the heat shield, I normally throw those away (just threw 4 sets of perfect ones away a few weeks ago..)

so i dont need them?
bondo
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 11 2005, 05:57 PM)

as the heat shield, I normally throw those away (just threw 4 sets of perfect ones away a few weeks ago)....post a WTB ad for 'em, you should be able to find some in much, much better shape dirt cheap...

I don't see a bearing race.. that raised area is a sealing surface I think.
Mueller
QUOTE (bondo @ Jul 11 2005, 06:05 PM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 11 2005, 05:57 PM)

I don't see a bearing race.. that raised area is a sealing surface I think.

you could be right, I'd have to see one in person, been awhile....
bondo
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Jul 11 2005, 05:51 PM)
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 11 2005, 04:46 PM)
Leave it a few more months and it'll fall off!  Seriously, it's a part of the strut.  The Cap'n

im seeing if i can reuse most of the front suspension. no holes at least....just the brake sheilds. and no bondo, those are not the one that i won on ebay. i going to put those in its place if they are good. they are koni's. beadblasting next week, and if they are good, powder coating lime green the week after clap.gif

If you're gonna go to the trouble to powdercoat that, start with something better. Seriously, they're gonna be soooo pitted, and a bright powdercoat will just make the imperfections stand out.
McMark
Those look very dirty, but not that rusty, to me.
grasshopper
QUOTE (McMark @ Jul 11 2005, 05:21 PM)
Those look very dirty, but not that rusty, to me.

they are! and no, there not that rusty. and bondo, i said i would beadblast them firts and THEN see if they were worth powdercoating. If they are crap, they go in a box. this will be my first experience beadblasting. a friend of mines dad has one. any tips on beadblasting?? thanks
TimT
Yes that thingy you have the arrow pointed to comes off.. The bearing seal rides on that

and when you remove it you will find it is hiding an o-ring

which you should make sure is in place when you install these pieces on another strut
TimT
Also that brake shield is shot...
bondo
I knew some of it is dirt, but it looks like there are places on that brake shield I can see through. I assumed they came off the same car, but perhaps not. I didn't catch that the decision to use came after beadblasting, sorry.
skline
Suggestion on bead blasting, mask off the actual spindle (Shiney area) before you bead blast it, that area is not one you want pitted. Make sure it stays nice and clean and smooth like a bearing surface.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.