Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If you have a 3.2 L Build would you still drive a 2 L or 1.7 L car in the garage?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Tdskip
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 3 2020, 12:07 PM) *

It seemed like I was always working on my drivetrain when my car was a 2.0 - 2270 - 2.4 Type IV. Now, I change oil and adjust valves on the 3.2 twice a year and polish, lots of polish... evilgrin.gif

Completely reliable now...

Good feedback, thanks!
eric9144
Whoa man, this is a first world problem... and I have the same conversations in my head. beerchug.gif

I have an amazing 914 2.0 that's the cats tits, owned for over 20yrs, I'm the second owner, everything works exactly right all the time on it, I'd drive it anywhere at the drop of a hat, it's been as reliable and dependable as it could get and it's dialed in.

Then I got my conversion car in March...oh man, 3.8 RS spec '97 engine, 915 with WEVO, everything is 10/10ths, like everything... Its like a drug, the more I drive it the more I want to drive it, it does things in ways that never cease to put a smile on my face.

Now my amazing 2.0 mostly sits next to it... starting to think I need to let it go but it's been like a member of the family for so long I have a real hard time even putting a price on it. Its no slouch, even compared to the conversion car but you'd have to be "all in" on every turn to even keep up...

Once bitten by the /6 thing its hard to go back, even when the /4 is real good...
eric9144
^^ that being said, as I'm sitting here thinking, not sure I'd jump in my 6 and make a 8hr drive, where my /4 is actually totally good for that

*edit, but if I had a super quiet exhaust on mine like @Steve has on his I'd be all in on that too...
thelogo
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Aug 3 2020, 06:50 AM) *

Solves it. sheeplove.gif
Does it ? stirthepot.gif

Click to view attachment

You gettin all this

https://youtu.be/M6RtVmLq2Z0

I guess youre from Georgia

And i was the most hated man in baseball .

Ty.cobb wub.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 3 2020, 01:47 PM) *

^^ that being said, as I'm sitting here thinking, not sure I'd jump in my 6 and make a 8hr drive, where my /4 is actually totally good for that

*edit, but if I had a super quiet exhaust on mine like @Steve has on his I'd be all in on that too...

Let me know where to send one. beerchug.gif
@eric9144
Steve
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 3 2020, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 3 2020, 01:47 PM) *

Let me know where to send one. beerchug.gif
@eric9144

Worth every penny!! I built my car for road trips. GTS Lemans seat, Bens quiet muffler, stock 911 torsion bars and stock 915 gear box. total cruiser.
john77
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 3 2020, 10:16 AM) *

QUOTE(john77 @ Aug 2 2020, 11:09 PM) *

Yeah, I think the tii is great for relaxed cruising. The 914 makes me want to drive it hard all the time.

Do you have a 5 speed in the tii? I found that helped a ton. When I got mine it had a 4 speed and by the time I hit 60 on the freeway it felt like I was driving with the handbrake on.

Thanks for the response.

I have a Getrag 240 (with mechanical speedo) going in, seemed worth doing which your comments confirm.

BTW - are you on 2002Faq? I am tdskip there too....

Yeah, the 5 speed was hands down the best upgrade I ever did on that car.

I'm not on 2002Faq, but it's mainly because I'm good friends with Le Tran who owns 2002Garagewerks (I rent a space in his shop - that's where I'm building my alpina works tribute) and so when I have really dumb ass questions rather than going on a forum I just walk around the corner into the main shop and bug the hell out of him instead. He knows nothing about the idiosyncrasies of porsches though, so 914world didn't get so lucky. biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
The joy of the 914 is the interaction with the car. A /4 and a /6 deliver that joy equally but in different ways.

For whatever reason, the 914 resonates more than a 924, 944, even a Boxster. Haven't driven a 912, but the 911 to me wasn't nearly what rodded 914/6 delivers with the same motor. The 993 was different.

For 50 years and still going, 914s have delivered on the imaginations of dreamers, and have met people economically where they are.

In no better sense, the 914 has been the people's Porsche - which is what it's all about.

I can't speak to a /4 vs /6 - I have both currently, and appreciate both very much. I know this for me, the 914 has always been special.

I was a 6 yo when my Dad bought my /4 secondhand. I am seeking that pleasure again even though 0-60 will give me time to dream of /6.

My dream stable will always be Dad's car in its finest form, and a road hardened /6 that only delivers a smile to the person holding the steering wheel.

I hope that answers nothing.

Tdskip
QUOTE(john77 @ Aug 3 2020, 02:41 PM) *

Yeah, the 5 speed was hands down the best upgrade I ever did on that car.

I'm not on 2002Faq, but it's mainly because I'm good friends with Le Tran who owns 2002Garagewerks (I rent a space in his shop - that's where I'm building my alpina works tribute) and so when I have really dumb ass questions rather than going on a forum I just walk around the corner into the main shop and bug the hell out of him instead. He knows nothing about the idiosyncrasies of porsches though, so 914world didn't get so lucky. biggrin.gif

Lucky you! He runs a great shop and is on my shortlist of people to get help from if I can’t dial the Tii properly

Tdskip
QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Aug 4 2020, 08:24 AM) *

The joy of the 914 is the interaction with the car. A /4 and a /6 deliver that joy equally but in different ways.

For whatever reason, the 914 resonates more than a 924, 944, even a Boxster. Haven't driven a 912, but the 911 to me wasn't nearly what rodded 914/6 delivers with the same motor. The 993 was different.

For 50 years and still going, 914s have delivered on the imaginations of dreamers, and have met people economically where they are.

In no better sense, the 914 has been the people's Porsche - which is what it's all about.

I can't speak to a /4 vs /6 - I have both currently, and appreciate both very much. I know this for me, the 914 has always been special.

I was a 6 yo when my Dad bought my /4 secondhand. I am seeking that pleasure again even though 0-60 will give me time to dream of /6.

My dream stable will always be Dad's car in its finest form, and a road hardened /6 that only delivers a smile to the person holding the steering wheel.

I hope that answers nothing.

All perspective helps, thanks for the post.

Like our 914s you can build pretty much any style of 912 that you want. Ones that haven’t been “built” have a delicate/light/happy demeanor that the 73 1.7 reminds me of.

carlsol
I've owned a 75 2 liter and currently a 73 with a 3.2 conversion. If I still had the 75, trust me, it would sit in the garage, there's no comparison.
Tdskip
QUOTE(carlsol @ Aug 4 2020, 12:36 PM) *

I've owned a 75 2 liter and currently a 73 with a 3.2 conversion. If I still had the 75, trust me, it would sit in the garage, there's no comparison.

Thanks for the feedback.

I suppose few people remove a 2L to put a 1.7L back in...

Literally just sold the ‘73 1.7 so you guys better be right. evilgrin.gif
Cairo94507
I can't recall the last time I drove a 4 cylinder car- has to be back in the late 70's. I would still buy one and make it a 2056 with FI and some nice suspension. Great go cart. But having and now driving my 3.2.....that's hard to step away from. beerchug.gif
jim912928
I did my 3.2l conversion myself buying parts from members in here dedicated to building quality conversion components. Also couldn't have done it without a lot of advice from those that already ventured down this road. With my build, there was no alterations to the rear trunk as mentioned above, I used the stock 3.2l air filter box, use the 911 blower motor for heat, and put the dme under the passenger seat just like in 911's. Clean.

Here is a birds-eye view...

Click to view attachment

BK911
I'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
Bought my 1.7 probably around 15 years ago.
Many 911s and a 914-6C have come and gone since then, but the 914 is still here.
Skinny tires and just enough hp to have fun in the Twisties at barely over the speed limit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.