Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacement A/C Compressor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jim C
Is there a modern replacement for the dealer installed VPC a/c compressor? I have seen complete kits with a Sanden compressor, but is there just a "bolt in" compressor available? I'd like to get the original dealer installed set up working again if at all possible and the compressor for sure is not working.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Jim C @ Aug 3 2020, 03:59 PM) *

Is there a modern replacement for the dealer installed VPC a/c compressor? I have seen complete kits with a Sanden compressor, but is there just a "bolt in" compressor available? I'd like to get the original dealer installed set up working again if at all possible and the compressor for sure is not working.

ICE AC makes a compressor mount for the Type IV VW.

iceautoair.com

I have used their compressor kit on Betty's car for years. It uses a small rotary compressor, and a v-rib belt. Look under the VW Bus stuff to find it.

They don't list the compressor kit separately on the website, but if you call them, they will sell the compressor and mount kit separately.

Clay
Jim C
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 3 2020, 04:10 PM) *

iceautoair.com

I have used their compressor kit on Betty's car for years. It uses a small rotary compressor, and a v-rib belt. Look under the VW Bus stuff to find it.

They don't list the compressor kit separately on the website, but if you call them, they will sell the compressor and mount kit separately.

Clay

Thanks, Clay.
Amphicar770
Replacing the York with a Sanden style is not that difficult,. You need the bracket found in evilbay or lots of places.

The bigger challenge is that those old hoses, fittings, o-rings, etc all probably leak. You really need to replace those and flush / clean everything out. Rotary compressors are much more susceptible to crud in the system than the old York style boat anchors.

Somewhere on the forum I think I wrote up my AC refurb.
Jim C
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Aug 5 2020, 12:08 AM) *

Replacing the York with a Sanden style is not that difficult,. You need the bracket found in evilbay or lots of places.

The bigger challenge is that those old hoses, fittings, o-rings, etc all probably leak. You really need to replace those and flush / clean everything out. Rotary compressors are much more susceptible to crud in the system than the old York style boat anchors.

Somewhere on the forum I think I wrote up my AC refurb.

Thanks. I'll look for your write up.
jdamiano
I got the Sanden 505 knock off and a York to Sanden conversation bracket on EBay. I had to slightly modify the conversion bracket with a cut off wheel but it fit well. I also had to get some clamp on fittings to connect the new compressor to the old hoses. I just hooked up the old hoses and threw my vacuum pump on it over night then charged it with R134. I have to refresh the charge every 6 months or so. I don’t drive the car much so it’s not a problem. Once I retire I will take on changing the hoses.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 3 2020, 05:10 PM) *

iceautoair.com

Clay

@ClayPerrine

clay,

i am getting serious but putting together the parts list etc to get a total cost for this project, so i was wondering since you have done this before maybe you could share with us a general partial or close to complete parts list of what would be needed.
My car has never had AC, and i had been waiting for someone to come up with a solution to replace the stock front air box or modify one in a way to use that location so as not to have to add the under-the-dash unit. I know someone has that center console unit and while that could be an option for the air distribution i still want to work out a way to keep my current center console and not move gauges, but use the existing ducts/air outlets.
-tired of not driving my car for 5 months of the year due to being too hot and humid!
Phil
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 5 2020, 09:12 AM) *

iceautoair.com

Clay

@ClayPerrine

clay,

i am getting serious but putting together the parts list etc to get a total cost for this project, so i was wondering since you have done this before maybe you could share with us a general partial or close to complete parts list of what would be needed.
My car has never had AC, and i had been waiting for someone to come up with a solution to replace the stock front air box or modify one in a way to use that location so as not to have to add the under-the-dash unit. I know someone has that center console unit and while that could be an option for the air distribution i still want to work out a way to keep my current center console and not move gauges, but use the existing ducts/air outlets.
-tired of not driving my car for 5 months of the year due to being too hot and humid!
Phil

Phil,
The best AC Evaporator I have seen for a 914 is from Larry.Hubby. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...;p=2530141&

It replaces the fresh air blower, and from what I read, it works great. Downside is you have to build it yourself. I plan on building it for my 4.0L car.

Using the stock DPD or VPC parts (condenser)is using 50 year old tech. There are so many better components out there that can be adapted to a 914 that are more efficient.

The compressor mounts for the /4 I posted are the best I have found so far. I actually like the compressor mount that mounts on top of the motor better, but I don't think it is a kit.

Basically, if you want AC for your 914, and don't want to use the under dash unit, then you have to make it yourself.

Clay
djway
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 5 2020, 07:12 AM) *

iceautoair.com

Clay

@ClayPerrine

clay,

Phil

I built a prototype box to replace the fresh air blower. I don't remember the year but I used the rear evaporator from a Caravan as it would fit and I could find an adapter block and other parts needed to connect up up to the lines. Hopefully I will be able to get back to that project.
For my T4 Notchback I wound up building my own plate to attach the compressor to the fan shroud end with the 4 bolt holes.
Amphicar770
The DPD / VPC units are, undeniably old tech. Still, with a rotary compressor (I stayed with R12) the drag on engine is minimal and it will quickly freeze you out of the car if left on high. You do have the big center unit under the dash but, to me anyway, it looks like it came from the factory.

Classicautoair offers a complete system similar to the DPD but with more modern components.

https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/1974-po...tioning-system/

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.