Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing clutch.. my first time..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
snflupigus

Need to order the???

Clutch
Flywheel -------?????????????????
Throw-Out Bearing
Flywheel Pilot Bearing
Felt Washer for Pilot Bearing
Throw Out Bearing Guide Clip
Throw Out Arm Bushing
Throw Out Arm Retainer
Flywheel Seal/Rear Main Seal
Flywheel O-Ring
Flywheel Crush Washer
Flywheel Bolt
Clutch Alignment Tool
Muffler Gasket
CV Joint Gasket

???

Tell me, what do I really need and what is Pelicans suggestion for items that I might not need.
I am hoping I can have my flywheel resurfaced. I'll know soon enough but I am unfortunately doubting it so I might buy a new one from pelican anyway.

How terrible would it be to just replace the clutch and pressureplate only - hoping that the flywheel is ok.

INSIGHT for a clutch replacement virgin NEEDED....

Thanks.
ThinAir
It's been awhile since I did one, but from my memory the essentials are the disk, pressure plate and throwout bearing stuff. When I just didn't have the money I was able to get by without doing anything to my flywheel, but it looked like it was in good shape.

I don't think you need to do the crankshaft seal unless you are having a leak issue, but it' probably one of those "while you are in there" kind of things. Once you pull off the flywheel you've done 99% of the work and the seal isn't that much money. If you change the flywheel or have it cut then I would think you'd need the rest of the flywheel stuff, except the bolt.

You can't reassemble without a clutch alignment tool - an old input shaft is the best thing if you can find one.

Don't forget the muffler bearing - most critical part in the whole job!

YMMV. If I've screwed this up then I'm sure other's will jump on this and remind me of how stupid I can sometimes be!
ArtechnikA
many will replace the mainshaft seal "As Long As" you're in there...
RON S.
It's not really a hard job,

With all the right tools layed out before you start,you can have the transmission out and on the floor in less than an hour.You have no need to remove the engine.Just have it blocked up securely.A 901 weighs about 75lbs,so no problem man-handling it or using a jack there.

The rest is just replacing anything that can wear,or leak.

Ron
bd1308
I did it.....

so you can do it too.
grasshopper
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 12 2005, 04:11 AM)
I did it.....

so you can do it too.

lol2.gif
tat2dphreak
it's not hard... get your flywheel turned at a machine shop if it's still in spec, that will cost much less than a new one...

I highly recommend the Pelican 15(ish) piece kit... it's good to replace all of those little things while you are already in there...
snflupigus
btt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.