Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Asked for a Cheap Engine on Craigslist
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
"Throw a bug engine in there, it will be way cheaper, or find a bus motor, its the same thing."

I guess I should've known I'd get some answers like this, but at least I got a responce smile.gif

I posted this request with the thought that there might be someone out there with an engine laying around, in the way, that they'd like to get outta their garage.

I dunno, guess I'm grasping at straws pray.gif

.........b slap.gif
SLITS
We'll start with:

1. What do you need?

2. What can you use?

3. What do you want?
Brad Roberts
Ha ha.. I just received this the other day and thought I would share it.

B
nebreitling
laugh.gif smilie_pokal.gif classic!
Brad Roberts
I purposely posted his email address so we could all show him how much we dont suck..LOL

Bruce,

Watcha trying to do ?

B
McMark
I've got a 1.8 without FI if you're interested.
boxstr
Bruce I still have another 2.0 at CAMP.
Let em know if interested.
CCLINCAMPERATLARGE
SpecialK
Buy one, get two free! beer.gif

Don't bother with 'valve adjustments', at this price just tear it out and throw a new one in!

[should have never looked at TypeI parts, even as a joke....just re-realized how bad we get screwed on TypeIV parts. headbang.gif ]
redshift
sad.gif
jwalters
ohmy.gif Damn Miles--they really DO hate horses....fucking weird shit man--
tat2dphreak
you can get a V8 engine cheap.... the conversion might bend you over though...
Bruce Allert
In answer to all the questions like;

What do I want, need, can use, want to do...

if it's free boldblue.gif (another straw grasp)
if it's cheap smile.gif $300 or less (Can't even afford that)
can use anything cept the vw (I guess)

I'd just like to get it on the road, drive it... I'm afraid if I let it set too much longer I'll fergit how it all goes back together sad.gif not really but...

Went into the shop yesterday & looked at all the parts laying on the floor & thought, "geeze, will I ever see this stuff where it belongs again (soon)?

I'll call Craig & see what he's got up his sleeve & Kevin (rhodyguy) just said Jon was parting a car with a 2.0 so we'll see what happens.

thanks for the well wishes guys. Yer always there for us.

..........b
Bleyseng
Doesn't Kevin have a 2056 sitting there? stromberg.gif
rhodyguy
gonna keep rubbing it in aren't cha you wannabe? biggrin.gif go build YOUR motor or something. bootyshake.gif

k
Bleyseng
Hey, I worked on the Westy all day Sunday and stopped the terminal oil leaks!

And the sensors for the oil pressure and temp gauges and the CHT gauge.
Wow, this thing gets up to 350 Degrees when ya push it quickly!! Oil hits 220 degrees on the freeway at 70 mph, 185-190 at 65!

Blair comes back next week so we will put the 914 back together then.

How is the BBQ coming?? I guess I'll have to just drive down as I want to see the mystery motor.......
rhodyguy
sent ya a pm. all those low wages you paid blair will come back to haunt you now! ohmy.gif . "sure dad, $60 an hour". biggrin.gif

k
dmenche914
A later VW bus Type IV engien would fit. Depends on how cheap you want the motor. Do you need a complete motor, with cooling, FI, etc... or just a long block?

DNHunt
Hey Bruce

If you are still in need in a month I can let you run the engine that's in my car now.
I have to finish Jake's kit first but, when I'm done the old one will just be sitting. Runs good but valve guides are toast. I don't want to sell it but you can borrow it to get Punkin on the road again for fall.

Dave
Mueller
I have a good 1.8* with no heads.....$100 plus shipping

*new pushrod seals, bottom end has approx. 10K miles on it
Bruce Allert
dmenche914 Posted on Jul 12 2005, 12:07 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A later VW bus Type IV engien would fit. Depends on how cheap you want the motor. Do you need a complete motor, with cooling, FI, etc... or just a long block?

I have the FI for a 2.0 and tin for 1.7 & 2.0. I just sold the 1.7 Brain. I'd like a complete one but can do with one w/o HE's, FI, press. reg... stuff like that.

DNHunt Posted on Jul 12 2005, 12:54 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Bruce

If you are still in need in a month I can let you run the engine that's in my car now.
I have to finish Jake's kit first but, when I'm done the old one will just be sitting. Runs good but valve guides are toast. I don't want to sell it but you can borrow it to get Punkin on the road again for fall.

Dave  

Thanks Dave, but I'd hate for sumpin to happen to it out AXing burnout.gif & that's mostly what I'd like to get it running for. I'll hang tough & one will appear..... somewhere idea.gif

Mueller Posted on Jul 12 2005, 12:59 PM
I have a good 1.8* with no heads.....$100 plus shipping

*new pushrod seals, bottom end has approx. 10K miles on it  

Thanks Mike, would 2.0 heads work on that? Prolly not, eh? Then there'd be the search for FI cuz 1.7 or 2.0 wouldn't fit either.

Shoots man, sounds like I'm too picky.. I'm sorry sad.gif

......b

McMark
I have a free 1.8 still. wacko.gif Just like I mentioned above. No FI, but everything else is yours.
Mueller
Thanks Mike, would 2.0 heads work on that? Prolly not, eh? Then there'd be the search for FI cuz 1.7 or 2.0 wouldn't fit either

actually, the 1.8 motor currently has very nice fresh 2.0 heads on it (about 50 miles on the rebuild of the heads)

Bruce Allert
QUOTE (McMark @ Jul 12 2005, 02:13 PM)
I have a free 1.8 still. wacko.gif Just like I mentioned above. No FI, but everything else is yours.

So, will the 2.0 FI work on the 1.8? ECU & all. Shoots, I got all the stuff if it will! clap.gif I can't understand why it wouldn't.

Sounds too good to pass up Mark. Mikes sounds good too what with the fresh heads & all. Might have to make a road trip!

......b
McMark
Lower the fuel pressure on the 2.0 FI and it should work well enough. I'm happy to get rid of another "lawn ornament". biggrin.gif
jonwatts
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 12 2005, 02:17 PM)
actually, the 1.8 motor currently has very nice fresh 2.0 heads on it (about 50 miles on the rebuild of the heads)

Are those my heads? mad.gif

Those were good heads, I don't care what Brad said. I can't believe I took your crappy 2.0 heads (plus cash) in trade for those.

Bruce Allert
ah oh! see what I started! unsure.gif

Mark, does it (did it) run good? This is getting tempting wink.gif

Mike, is that $100 price with the heads?

Shit, yer both in (basically) the same area... may as well get both boldblue.gif right? 10 hour drive & Kevin needs a hood from Jon......
McMark
I never heard it run. I would expect it to run fine. Not forever, but a good stop-gap. It turns over fine, so there's no issues there. If I get motivated I'll hook a trans & starter up and check the compression.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.