Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 123 Distributor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
Hello out there....just learned that the 123 Distributor is completely solid state which is always intriguing.....love to modernize things on these oldies. So any stories on performance increase or just overall drivability? Issues? Competing products? Thank you all,
gg
jim_hoyland
I've run mine a year and impressed. No pinging, engine doesn't run hot, and the acceleration though the range of rpm's is very smooth.
A great replacement. I found it more reliable than the Mallory Unilite which was subject to optical module issues.
And a big plus is there is a live US rep that can provide help. Ed
****Recommend the Bluetooth; two curves can be stored on your iPhone. Plus, the distributer can be turned off when security is warranted
SKL1
Bought one on a group buy here a while ago and finally am putting it in my '73 2.0, with Webers, Webcam, and lightened flywheel from Patrick Motorsports.
Anxious to see how it works. Replaced a Mallory.
pete000
Highly recommended, love the Bluetooth tuning capability.
Optimusglen
I have one for my 2.2 6cyl, its not built yet so no stories but I've heard nothing but good things.
Porschef
Has made the car run much better; easier starting, NO pinging (which plagued the engine for quite some time, preventing me from really getting on it) and the programmable aspect via Bluetooth is very cool. As Jim mentioned, it can also be immobilized with your phone. beerchug.gif

Just make sure you have service, or don’t lose your phone... dry.gif
BeatNavy
It won't solve all your life's problems, but it can help make your ignition woes go away. I just found that acceleration was smoother and maybe a bit stronger throughout the range (I ran curve "B" on D-Jet). Idle was also rock solid, all other variables being controlled.

It ain't cheap, and it may take a bit of fiddling to get it right for your setup, but it's a good product.
iankarr
I remember reading somewhere that the D-jet compatible model wasn't available with bluetooth. Has that changed?
BeatNavy
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Aug 9 2020, 06:27 PM) *

I remember reading somewhere that the D-jet compatible model wasn't available with bluetooth. Has that changed?

Ian, that is correct and not that I am aware of. D-Jet version doesn't have Bluetooth (unless something has changed).
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Aug 9 2020, 03:27 PM) *

Call Ed at 1-2-3:. (440) 668-8164. CENTRAL TIME ZONE
He will gladly fill you in smile.gif
Jim C
Just installed one and finally I can enjoy the car. Proof to me that my "FI problems" were ignition problems. Worth the money to get a well running car.
rjames
My 2.0 liter djet car ran very noticeably better after the install Much smoother acceleration and no more intermittent hesitations. I did notice that it gets very hot to the touch after running, so I wonder about the longevity, but so far so good.
john77
I've been running one in my 6 conversion for about 3 years, and in my 72 BMW 2002 for about 4. Nothing but good things to say about them.

The fact I could set the timing in the 6 without having to cut a hole in the firewall or do some 914 yoga made it worth every penny.
Not_A_Six
QUOTE(second wind @ Aug 8 2020, 04:56 PM) *

Hello out there....just learned that the 123 Distributor is completely solid state which is always intriguing.....love to modernize things on these oldies. So any stories on performance increase or just overall drivability? Issues? Competing products? Thank you all,
gg

Mine has run reliably, and I like the "torque balancing" feature, as well as the all solid-state construction. But, it hasn't really improved performance noticeably over the original dizzy (which was in good condition). At least on the D-Jet version, it also lacks a rev limiter at a useful RPM, so some care is needed not to turn your engine into shrapnel. blink.gif

If you're running D-Jet, there are some nuances. Namely, choosing the appropriate profile from the limited choices available via DIP switches, and getting the orientation/polarity correct for proper fuel injection pulse phasing:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=347291

Cheers. beerchug.gif
HansJan
My car had a hesitation at freeway cruising (ca 3,100 rpm), with a flamethrower/petronix unit. The 123 distributor totally saved the day. All is well now.

I am an idiot and don't know how to do the timing with a light peeking through that hole, with the engine screaming (and my son trying to keep it at high rpm).
So just installed it, and made the adjustment on my phone until it ran purrfect.

It might not be oem, but its the best part on the car.
Porschef
agree.gif

When I had my issue with the ECU my first thought was that the 80’s Bosniaesque road that I was driving on did something to knock it out. However, that was not the case. While it’s not a 45 year old part like the ECU it definitely seems robust in that there was no negative effect on it.

Yes, it’s pricey, but I don’t think anyone has had a complaint, and there’s been plenty of accolades. I was on the fence for a while, glad I jumped in. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.